Where are you from,what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

1. fvri

fvri New Member

Hi all,

:) I am Frank from Belgium. I bike 50km work-home if the wether is ok.:rolleyes:
    I'm a software engineer.

2. madera41

madera41 New Member

hello -i'm from jax,fl-i drive a concrete truck-normally 50 to 60 hours a week-some times going to work as early 2am-really messes with your sleep-my son got me into bike riding -hes a pro-my daughter is extremely happy i'm bike riding she works at a heart center,shes been trying for years to get me to do cardio work outs-i normally ride on the weekends-go bout 30 miles a day-started a little late in my life but am feeling the great effects in less than a year of riding,getting a lot of winter wear-i'm 64 years old weight is 150#@5'9" hope to chat w/other older riders-henry

3. ventoux lew

ventoux lew New Member

Hi everyone,
    This is my first message. I'm from Philadelphia. I train with Cadence Performance center, which is affliliated with Carmichael Training Systems. I'm trying to find two or three numbers for the "Assault on Mt. Mitchell" ride next May.

4. prime

prime New Member

Hafa Adai! Greetings from Guam, USA. I'm in a healthcare field riding my mtb for at least one hour everyday and I'm liking it. I ride to eat and so far it works for me.

5. pwrchip

pwrchip New Member

Marco,

Welcome to this forum and I read your post and I just got done reading a travellog from a rider that went from North Coralina to Alaska on a trike and she's on her way back and should be getting back by December 1st.
    I also want to build my own lowracer bent bike. Once I started to read that travellog I want to ride a bent across country. Maybe not this time but for the second time around. I have a year old Trek 1000c that I'm going to use for my first attempt to ride across America.
    But I have a very creative mind and now want to attempt to build my own lowracer or bent bike or trike. I can see the pros and cons of each. I just retired last year so I have lots of time to do research on these projects and I'm trying to solicit help from two brothers to get them excited about cycling.
    I'm afraid that use of the concept on cycling as "practical", is not enough for them to jump on a bike and ride. I guess if someone can't experience the "fun quotion of riding a bike" you're not going to get a very enthusiastic response from them when you say "ride a bike, it makes so much sense".
    Well, good luck to you and ride safe!

David

6. eborunda

eborunda New Member

Enrique Borunda, from Chihuahua MEXICO

Right now working on the off season, gym, some ocasional rides !!!
    next season will be hard for all racers here in mexico.

7. kevinh01

kevinh01 New Member

Im a recreational cyclist from Northern California, USA. I have been in the computer manufacturing field. I've been riding a modified mtn bike for the street for several years and just purchased my first road bike. I also have an '83 road/sprt bike that I'm re-conditioning.

Cheers,
    kevinh01

8. jtilley

jtilley New Member

I am from Lawrence, Kansas, the coolest town in the midwest. Go KU!
    I am a competitive female road cyclist and mountain bike racer. I train everyday- well, except for the days that I have to go to work- but thats only twice a week. Being a pharmacist and taking care of kids isn't too bad of a job.
    Anyway, I am in the middle of cyclocross season, and its keeping me in ok shape considering the weather is getting colder.

9. JacobMcAwesome

JacobMcAwesome New Member

I am from Michigan. I am a student and I also work at bike shop. I am going to race on my college's team come spring.

10. vwccjws

vwccjws New Member

Hello everyone. A rider for two years after many years of running. Started to do my knees in....wish I had discovered biking years early.

Train 2 -3 times per week 20 - 25 miles. Swim and run the other days.

Would like to learn from the posts, especially training, weight training etc.

I am an IT professional and college professor...age 59 .. Roanoke VA

11. Bikerbill98

Bikerbill98 New Member

Raddo, thanks. I checked with my LBS soon after the accident. I'm sure they'd like to sell me something, but my first preference is a Tommasini and they don't carry that brand. There is only one dealer in the US. I ride steel. Don't trust carbon and Al frames.

12. Bikerbill98

Bikerbill98 New Member

Another runner has finally seen the light! :) For years, as I pass runners while riding, I would smile and say, "Saving up for a bike?" Get out of your Nikes and put on your bike shoes. Your knees will thank you.

With respect to weight training, at 59 any weight training is good. Localized training could create an imbalance. In fact, biking does just that (i.e. quads vs. hamstrings, triceps vs. biceps). Work it all progressively. Core strength is important, as it is in all sports.

13. Jrobe2005

Jrobe2005 New Member

I am from Topeka Kansas and work for the US Postal Service. I ride to relieve the stress!!

14. vwccjws

vwccjws New Member

Thanks bikerbill for the encouragement. :) I finally saved up enough for a bike. It is a lot cheaper than MRIs on your knees:mad:

15. coastalrider

coastalrider New Member

I am from Half Moon Bay CA. Career wise I am a molecular biologist working as a Systems Test Engineer for an Instrumentation Company.

Have not been riding much since my son was born. Been reading the forums to get motivated to get back on the bike!

16. djrocker257

djrocker257 New Member

I am a 53 yr old systems analyst. I have been riding bikes for 30 yrs off and on.
    One of my goals, is to do a century. Which maybe this is the yr. I did 83 miles once and it about killed me. :-0

I would like to get more active now and with all my kids out of the house, it could be a possibility.

Doug

17. larryb

larryb New Member

hey Jrobe2005,

we got a retired postal here and he has over 25k miles on his bike. does he know the back roads? yes.

enjoy your rides.

18. jtilley

jtilley New Member

what school are you going to race for? do you race road or mtb? I raced for KU for 4 years, doing mostly the moutain bike nationals (collegiate), and one of the road nationals. i have to say, that if your school does go to these collegiate races (nationals) i highly recommend you doing them. They are a really good way to get experience and to race really good people. Usually the top 5 or so racers are pro or going pro. And, you meet people from all over the country- there are some good parties afterwards.
    jen

19. jtilley

jtilley New Member

Hey! I am from lawrence, KS. do you ever do any of the road group rides there?
    I have been to a few.

20. swteo

swteo New Member

I am from Singapore. Not a lot of places for road biking and drivers here are not very courteous to bikers but makes more sense that MTB. Ride 4 times a week, morning or evening. Teach spinning once a week and when the wind blows, I am out windsurfing. Maybe they should have a duatholon that involves riding and windsurfing cause I suck at swimming and running.:D