Where are you from,what do you do?

craig_mccall said:
Hi there,

I’m Craig McCall from the fantastic west coast of Scotland,i was wondering if any1 could inform me where i could get a life strong yellow wrist band, if any1 could tell me it would be much appreciated

thanks, craig
Craig,
The bands are sold through the Livestrong foundation website at http://www.laf-store.org/ Minimum order is 10 at $1.00 (US) each, and they take several weeks to ship due to large demand. A lot of folks are also selling them on e-bay, but in that case your money would not be going to support the foundation's cause.

Hi to all,
I am origanially from Buffalo, New York. I just moved to Virginia Beach, Virginia. Just couldn't take the cold and snowy winters anymore. Much nicer in Virginia Beach. I try to bike 10 miles a day, if I can fit it in. :D

I am from Medina Ohio, in the U.S. I really don't do anything since I hurt my knees skating, that's why I came here. I want to learn how to bike.

Alright, hey, I'm from the U.S. and I was just wondering what the most convenient and most user friendly bike rack for suvs and minivans is. If anyone can help me, let me know. Also, I was wondering if you all would like to answer me this question. Would you rather climb and hassle to get bicycles on top of a SUV, or, if possible, put a bicycle on top of a SUV, anywhere including the middle of the roof, with only one hand...if it was possible?

Hello to all,
I'm from Orange County, beautiful sunshine Southern California. I do running a lot; now I like to do cycling. Hope that I can do it.:cool:

Hey all, just found the site. Whew, finally some sensible discussion about utilitarian cycling.

I'm from and in Toronto, Canada. Former bike messenger(10 yrs), former cycling safety message-er for the city, clergymember of the Church of Cycling, undercurrently active cycling advocate, instructor, pot-stirrer and sometime hackle-raiser.

Idea of a good time is a couple of hours of riding in rush-hour traffic.

The handle is kinda cute and it works in all kinds of ways-mostly, as a cyclist it's obvious. More obscurely is the vision of a huge grill tended by a 'crank turner'. Instead of franks on the grill, imagine the grill filled with no-way nellies, ornery drivers and others who think the bike is just an obstacle to their speedy passage-'cranks'. The crankturner's job is to use a long sharp fork to keep those cranks turning so they cook themselves up real good, and when the cranks look like they've had about enough and they can't cook any more, he/she gives the cranks a good poke with the fork and, TTTSSSSSsshhhh, all the fat leaks out and they're done.

Thankfully, I'm around cyclists here and the only nasty grillwork in my life is that sky-high wall of chrome on those Expedition/Navigator monstrocities

Anyways enough about me for now, I look forward to some good, stimulating maybe even productive conversation.

CT

Hello cycling world and fellow cyclists. I came upon this website "accidently" after watching 20/20 on tv they had a one hour interview with Victor Conte who is the founder and president of BALCO (Bay Area Labratory Coperative) who is involved with prescribing steroids and other drugs to top athletes...any ways I googled his name to find more information and that is how I found this site. I am a regular on bikeforums.net and serotta .com and I can see that I will enjoy this site just as much. I just discovered "forums" and online communities only a few months ago and I am hooked it is so informative and educational and fun!:)

I live in Jupiter, S Florida, near the beach. Great riding with bike lanes, slow speed limits. I have 5 bikes: road, tandem, mountain, hybrid and comfort. I'm also a motorcycle enthusiast (Honda Goldwing) I prefer to ride early AM and listen to MP3 music or talk radio while riding.

I'm a Seattle law student who commutes by bike to school and work. I am currently studying for final exams, and (as always) daydreaming about riding!

I'm from Indianapolis, I work in a manufacturing environment. I cycle for fun and exercise, my current ride is an old Schwinn Varsity (old and heavy but sturdy) with a partial "cafe racer" -style fairing I made from CorPlast. My "other" bike is an ancient Sekine with 3/4" sew-up tires, weighs just 9 lbs with the luggage rack. I don't ride it as much, the aluminum rims are easy to bend and expensive to fix.
I'd like to use a bike to commute, maybe a recumbent trike with a slick fairing, but the 6 mile ride to work includes 3 miles of 55+ freeway, and at my advanced age that's more excitement than I need. Even zipping to the local store is a 3-mile trek on roads with posted 40 mph limits (that means 5,000 lb SUVs bearing down on me at 50+ mph, again more excitement than I need.)
So I'm looking for a more recreational kind of cycle than a serious commuter. I think I'm looking for a "tadpole" trike with a 3/4 fairing, something easy to get in and out of. The Schwinn does just fine for now, I'm just curious about what's out there.
I'm too old to have enjoyed the "Big Wheel" fad in the '70s, does anybody make an adult-size Big Wheel?

Born in Liverpool (UK) to Irish parents. Grew up in Kenya (E. Africa). Lived in London (UK) for the last 8 years.

Previously a research assistant in a small London theological think-tank. Now in my final year training to be a psychiatric nurse.

Haven't ridden a bike since I was young and fit - both of which are fast disappearing on the horizon.

Been riding for the last three weeks with the intention of gradually becoming a hard-core commuter. So far, my upper thighs absolutely ache on a daily basis, and a feeble 12 mile round trip almost killed me. But I'm loving it.

Live in Worthing Sussex, born 20.12.1933. After teenage involvement with the sport (first raced on grass-track in 1948) and R.A.F. service (mostly in Suez Canal Zone), found that the bike had to go because the wife and kids wouldn't - too much month at the end of the money.

Came back at the age of 50 and joined Worthing Excelsior C.C., great fun - time-trials, club-runs and social, lots of time-keeping, club history, helping produce club magazine and with my wife, pioneering a radio-results service.

Now approaching 71, and wife's Parkinson's restricts our choices - little involvement with the club, tried to resign as a V.P. but they wouldn't let me.

Must lose some weight and get fit again, but as the wife's carer, can't stray far. Still have some super memories though. (Memories, not mammaries - although on reflection.......)

Love to all,
:)
John

PFCMONTY said:
Alright, hey, I'm from the U.S. and I was just wondering what the most convenient and most user friendly bike rack for suvs and minivans is. If anyone can help me, let me know.

I have the new Saris Cycle-on rack for the back of the SUV, It is the fastest and best rack I have ever seen, Takes 10 seconds to load or unload, Holds any size bike, (except a tandem) No metal or straps touch the bike except the rubber, folds up when not in use, and with it down and bikes off (in20 seconds) you have complete access to back end. It looks great too.
For bad weather I use a fork mount on an 18sq.inch pywood, secured to a back tie-down in the SUV, Take off the saddle, lower one back seat, and slide a bike inside (can do two) with the front wheel off. I leave the Cycle-on the back in the folded position. (takes 10 seconds too) Works great for us.

Brisbane, the Sunshine State. In the last year have started to increase training to 250-300km's per week, done a couple of races, and next year aim to compete in regular crits around brizzie.

I live in Melbourne (Richmond), and 20 a 40 km round trip commute to work each day using a mix of bike path and road. The bike path almost follows the freeway - so I get the pleasure of the smog without needing the car. I ride a mountain bike with disc brakes and run high pressure slick tyres, so I can motor along and stop in a hurry if I need to (which is all to frequent if you know the hazards of the Gardiners Ck path). I did my first Around the Bay this year riding my MTB, which was great fun. When I do it in 2005, I may get a road bike, and maybe just to be annoying a light flat bar road bike.

Steve

From Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Have done some mountain bike riding, but nothing serious... A student, not a svelte, lycra-clad biker chick, but I do have a bike tour of Europe planned next summer:).

Hello all classic cyclists out there!

I'm from Cheshire, England, and I need to sell a cherished Raleigh Record Sprint (21" frame) due to bereavement.

I want the bike to go to a good home, so I typed the make into Google Search and came up with your Forum. There seem to be people out there wanting to use/modify these bikes.

Would anyone like to buy it from me? It's in very good used condition, no mods., extra set of tyres and trip computer with it.

Please reply to [email protected] if you are interested.