Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi,
I have done a few argus's, and may i say what a great event it is! You will experience some of the best organisation in you life at this event!
My best is a 2:39(fast time).
So the info you need: take your own bike
in my day i started @6am, so there was no traffic! If you are fit you will do well. there are no serious unclimable hills. The final hill is no killer (no breeze either) but the hype is due to it coming after 90k's. the longest and most deceptive climb is Chapmans peak (if its being used).
Good luck have fun, I will be there this year (not to ride) but to have a holiday in 1 of the best cities in the world!

Roddo said:
G'day,

I'll be visiting South Africa next March, have entered the Argus :) and would appreciate it if an old Argus hand could give me some advice please. I've scoured the official website for real information but it seems to be all promotional stuff.
I'm after the nitty gritty like:- what is the least stressful way to register? how is the start organised? what is the time limit to finish? what is the traffic like and do motorists have any consideration for us? are Smits and Suikerbossie the killer hills they appear to be on the map?
In addition I'd like a few pointers on transporting my bike in SA. I'll be arriving on SAA ex Sydney and connecting direct through to CT. I'll have to clear the bike through customs and then get on a local flight. I hear they're pretty full of bikes round about there and SAA send bikes down in "waves". Accodringly I am concerend that we'll get separated and my bike only arrive after the tour.
Alternatively is it possible to hire a reasonable bike in CT?
I ride an Avanti Edge and a Giant Kronos, both low geared as my knees are getting on, so any reasonable quality 16/18 speeder will do.
Any tips guys?

My name's James and I'm from Auckland, New Zealand. It's a suburban sprawl of over a million people.

I ride for fun, and to get places that aren't too far from home. Unfortunately I can't ride to work as I need my car to visit clients (I'm an IT Engineer).

I recently bought a bike and rediscovered my love of cycling. I used to ride a lot when I was a kid but didn't for a few years. I'm 22 years old.

Blutzo said:
Hello. My name is Bill and I am a 56 year old courier for FedEx in Erie, PA. I currently ride a Trek 7200FX for excercise and am looking at purchashing a road bike to be able to put more miles under me.
Hello Bill,

What size tires do you use on your Trek 7200FX? What is the difference between the Trex FX and the Trex Hybrid?.. in terms of performance, comfort, suspension etc. In particular suspension because I ride a Trek 7500, and notice when I ride hills the bike tend to dip forward because of the front suspension making the climb harder. Also what size tires do you use on the FX? People seem to think for longer distances the 700 x 35C's are better performing than the 38C's . What are thoughts and advise on this? :confused:

JudyMay

Blutzo said:
Hello. My name is Bill and I am a 56 year old courier for FedEx in Erie, PA. I currently ride a Trek 7200FX for excercise and am looking at purchashing a road bike to be able to put more miles under me.
Hello Bill,

What size tires do you use on your Trek 7200FX? What is the difference between the Trex FX and the Trex Hybrid?.. in terms of performance, comfort, suspension etc. In particular suspension because I ride a Trek 7500, and notice when I ride hills the bike tend to dip forward because of the front suspension making the climb harder. Also what size tires do you use on the FX? People seem to think for longer distances the 700 x 35C's are better performing than the 38C's . What are thoughts and advise on this? :confused:

JudyMay

Hey,

My name's Matt. I'm seventeen, a student, and I live in Essex in the UK. I've been cycling seriously for a couple of years now and I got a new racer last summer. Over the winter months I don't get much cycling done but we have an exercise bike so I keep training on that as well as doing some upper body work.

It's nice to find such a big place for tips and general discussion.

Hello!

Whitefish said:
Hey,

My name's Matt. I'm seventeen, a student, and I live in Essex in the UK. I've been cycling seriously for a couple of years now and I got a new racer last summer. Over the winter months I don't get much cycling done but we have an exercise bike so I keep training on that as well as doing some upper body work.

Hello!
Hi matt
i guess it would take up alot of room on the forum if everyone was to say hello, so i'll save the room and say hi from everyone and welcome

Hi all. I'm in Burbank, CA USA. I just got into road cycling about four monthes ago. Hung up the mountain bike. What a difference Like going from a Jeep to a Ferrari. My buddies and I are training for our first century in March. It's up in Solvang. I hear it's pretty hilly. Oh well.

Whitefish said:
Hey,

Hello!

G'day Matt, Chelmsford, Billericay, Basildon, Theydon Boise, Epping, ?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you droped on the last climb? TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'day Matt, Chelmsford, Billericay, Basildon, Theydon Boise, Epping, ?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you droped on the last climb? TBC
:D

I actually live near a town called Saffron Walden if you know where that is. It's about twenty minutes from Cambridge.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Whitefish said:
:D

I actually live near a town called Saffron Walden if you know where that is. It's about twenty minutes from Cambridge.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

G'day Matt, yes mate know it well, not far from Bishops Stortford, about half way between that and Cambridge. I've riden through it but that was a long time ago, I'll be up that way in May this year, visiting the Old Country and relatives, Chelmsford, Billericay, Hoddesdon.

My mate from the early days used to live at Halstead, I use to ride out to his place from Manor Park, then we would do the round trip, head East on the A1224 to Fordstreet, then on to the A120 to Braintree and Great Dunmow, right going North on a "B" road I think it was B1057 that took us to ? Barthorne End or something like that,then down to Halstead, his Mum always gave us a hot blackcurrent cordial drink after the ride, she said it would see me home alright.

That was the Sunday Morning ride, the traffic those days was non existant I'm talking 1954-56, I guess the place has changed now, it was very quiet riding along that way with only the occassional tractor to break the tranquility, even on the A120 it was Ok. The total journey for me was about 125 kilometres, I think, or there abouts.

Three nights a week a gang of us used to ride out along the old A12 to Brentwood, turn left towards Chipping Ongar, left towards North Weald, through Epping, then left towards Theydon Boise, Loughton and finish with a sprint finish at the Bald Faced Stag pub. Training ride at race pace, no dilly dallying, the last one over the line bought the drinks?

The other two nights was a ride to Southend and back chasing the charrer bangs (Coaches) that was quick, and great fun too, mind you, when I think of what we used to do, without crash hats, we must have "BEEN MAD" it was a contest to see who could put more marks on the back bumper of the coach with the front tyre.

Incidentally is Rory O'Brien at Romford, still in business and who owns it now, Dave Bedwell used to be the shop professonal, now that was along time ago?

That's enough for now, keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

I'm from Cheshire, England. I'm currently trying to get some miles in for this years Etape.

I'm from Anyang in Korea. I'm recreational triathlete. but My favourate sport is bike. I like both of them, road and mountain biking. These days, I can't ride my bike since marriage, because I have to share my time with my wife and daughter

I work for Ministry of Environment in Automobile pollution control division. I an handling with automobile exaust gas post-treatment systems

I love everything that have relationship with bike. I always hope your safe and enjoyable riding !!! thank you :D

Hi, I'm from niles, Ohio. Had a nice cold 30 miler yesterday, temp was about 25. Snow on the roads today, so I guess it's the cycle-ops. I ride a lemond zurich or a schwinn badlands in the winter.

currently in Alabama, USA, but have lived in several other places. I love steel frame bikes, and try to enjoy the rides, not think about how fast i can through them. I use a hybrid city bike mounted in a fluid trainer for indoor work, and ride outdoors on the weekends. Currently I do 30 - 50 miles of flat lands on Saturdays and 20 -30 of hills on Sundays, with heart rate work on the trainer during the week. AS our days grow longer, I'll be able to ride outside after work. I am in the steel fabrication business, and enjoy what I do.

hi, i am from italy and i ride 13k a year, do some competitions, mostly hilly.
i ride a time vxrs with campa record.

Have a good ride
ciao

JudyMay said:
Hello Bill,

JudyMay
Hi JudyMay,

My 7200FX is one of the Trek Hybrids. I am 6'4" and 210lbs. Because of my size, the 7200 is a 25" frame. I kept the 35c tires on it because of the terrible road conditions here in northern Pennsylvania. They have served me well.
I adjusted the stem downward to enable me to ride it a little more aggressively than I would for a stroll around the block. I also added bar-end grips and positioned them inside of my hand grips to afford a more comfortable cruising position (close to shoulder width).
My bike has responded quite well for being a heavy bike. No problems pressing up hills as mine does not have the suspension forks. It rides stiffer and reacts quicker. You might want to consider swapping out that suspension fork.
All in all, this bike served me well this last summer and is a great training bike.
Keep working on those hills....

Greetings from an Irish man living in Melbourne.. I live in Kew at the moment and have recently taken up cycling.. I try and get out on the Yarra Bend in the morning/evening and my fav. ride is along Beach Rd..

dgarry said:
Greetings from an Irish man living in Melbourne.. I live in Kew at the moment and have recently taken up cycling.. I try and get out on the Yarra Bend in the morning/evening and my fav. ride is along Beach Rd..

G'day dgarry, welcome to the forum, another escapee from the old country, it's a good way to keep in touch with some of the fellow countrymen.

The only thing I can say you went to the wrong place, Queensland is the only place to live, would I tell you an untruth, boyo, if you go down to the Yarra Bend too many times, it'll drive you round the bend.

Only kidding, this'll upset a few of the "Melbourneites" peasants, mexicans?

Check out Limerickman, he's from the "Emerald Isle".

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

Making my practice post here. I live in the DC area and ride a purple Gunnar Roadie with a Chorus Triple on the weekends and commute on a red Trek 410 with a mishmash of Campagnolo Triomphe, Centaur, Record and Chorus parts (I am so impressed that Campagnolo parts from different eras all work together on the same bike).

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)
Hi, I'm Peter and do cycle touring holidays in goa India, hence the name cyclegoa. The touring gives me all the practice i need.