Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi everyone my name is Deb, I'm from Carlton in Melbourne. I don't actually have a bike yet but started doing spinning classes as x training for running. As I'm mid 30's I've decided to save my knees and cycle. Been reading posts for research. By the way answer to 'what do I do?' I'm a mum who's into being active.

Greetings forum. My name is Brian. I am a 43 year old guy living in New Jersey, USA., just getting back into cycling after a long layoff. Got diagnosed as a diabetic last summer and it cost me 2 of my toes (the two outer toes on my left foot), so I am getting back into cycling to lose about 20lbs or so, I am 6'1" 205lbs. I was an avid rider in my late teens and twenites and havd never really lost the love of cycling, just the time to do much of it. So here I am, looking for a new ride and maybe to meet some like-minded folks.

L'chaim,

Brian

Hello, I'm a Baptist Preacher from Georgia. Just bought a Fuji Ace and i'm loving it.

Jesus is Lord>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

I live on Long Island and work in Manhattan as a merchandise manager. I started cycling 2 years ago and I got hooked. I try to ride about 75-100 miles a week.

Wow awesome thread, lots of pages long! I am in San Diego, and right now take care of my two kids. I try to ride when I can, but an injury forced me to stop for a while. I hope to hop back on my Serrotta real soon and clock some miles again.

I'm from Birmingham in the West Midlands in the UK. I'm a software developer for a CADCAM company.

I commend you, Sir! You have made a LIFE SAVING decision. As a physician assistant I take care of lots of type2 diabetics. But the cold truth is this: for every diagnosed diabetic there is twice as many that have it and are not even awared that they have it, they have not been diagnosed yet.

Exercise, particularly aerobic type, like cycling, of course, helps our muscle cells become more efficient at using glucose, and thus help control the blood sugar. Excess blood sugar, like in diabetes 2, if not controlled by diet, meds and exercise, will cause an accumulation of end products and substances that cover your small and large vessels (retina, nephron-kidney, nerve fibers to extremities) that causes the damage that leads to blindness, amputation and kidney failure...the leading cause of all these complications is DIABETES. So, fellow cycling friend, keep cycling strong, at least 1hr. a day, X5 per week, avoid concentrated sugars, drink plenty of water, lots of veggies and best wishes, your journey to better health has just begun...
Don Quijote
baj32161 said:
Greetings forum. My name is Brian. I am a 43 year old guy living in New Jersey, USA., just getting back into cycling after a long layoff. Got diagnosed as a diabetic last summer and it cost me 2 of my toes (the two outer toes on my left foot), so I am getting back into cycling to lose about 20lbs or so, I am 6'1" 205lbs. I was an avid rider in my late teens and twenites and havd never really lost the love of cycling, just the time to do much of it. So here I am, looking for a new ride and maybe to meet some like-minded folks.

L'chaim,

Brian

Hy all ... :)

I'm from Banten, West Java, Indonesia, I mountain biking twice a week just for fun and fitness, we have fantastic xc treks near my neighborhood (+/- 7km/lap), and I'm doing Architecture and Interior design

Hello all, I'm a writer residing in the Cascade foothills, about 35 miles due east of Seattle, Washington.

I commute to work and back by bike and bike/bus combo approximately 90 percent of my workdays, and have done so for the past three years. I live 17 miles from work, but in poor weather, I can cut my total ride daily distance down to under 10 miles; thank God for bike racks on the busses. As I tell my co-workers, my ride is typically the highlight of my day; I wouldn't trade commutes with anyone.

I have four bicycles. The newest is a 2000 Bike E RX, a so-called short wheel base recumbent. I also have a cheesy GT front suspended Timberline MTB which I have rigged for use on the multitude of trails and logging/powerline roads surrounding my home. The third frame is my commuter and the one I rode most. It's an old hardtail MTB with wet pavement tires and lots of lights and reflectors. My last bike is dearest to my heart. It's a 1972 Peugeot UO-8, of which I am the original owner. It's pretty much painful to ride, with its inadequate gearing and creaky noises, but I can't let it go; it's like a child to me.

Hello All,

My name is Benjamin and I live on the island of Maui in Hawaii.

I want to begin racing bikes this year once more. I've been out of the sport for quite some time. I'm currently registered as a Masters Cat 5 rider with the USCF, but I hope to up-grade within my first few races in 2005. My son also raced pro for both Ofoto and the old Mercury squad. He also holds the current U.S. national record for Jr. team pursuit. He is currently retired from cycling and attending school full time.

I currenly ride between 200 and 400 miles per week.

Well - that's pretty much it. Write back if you have the time.

Greetings from Alberta Canada

I had forgotten what I used to know as a child , cycling is FUN! As an adult I rediscovered the 'sport' and bought a cannondale R 600 last fall for a carbon fiber of a deal ;) . Sadly being a Canuckian I havent spent much time on it lately. I did purchase a cycle ops along with my bike for training and fitness during the winter months but I cant seem to get motivated indoors :eek: . I can hardly wait for spring......

Out of curiosity, are you introducing yourself to me or just posting a new thread...? Don Quijote
Ike90 said:
Hello all, I'm a writer residing in the Cascade foothills, about 35 miles due east of Seattle, Washington.

I commute to work and back by bike and bike/bus combo approximately 90 percent of my workdays, and have done so for the past three years. I live 17 miles from work, but in poor weather, I can cut my total ride daily distance down to under 10 miles; thank God for bike racks on the busses. As I tell my co-workers, my ride is typically the highlight of my day; I wouldn't trade commutes with anyone.

I have four bicycles. The newest is a 2000 Bike E RX, a so-called short wheel base recumbent. I also have a cheesy GT front suspended Timberline MTB which I have rigged for use on the multitude of trails and logging/powerline roads surrounding my home. The third frame is my commuter and the one I rode most. It's an old hardtail MTB with wet pavement tires and lots of lights and reflectors. My last bike is dearest to my heart. It's a 1972 Peugeot UO-8, of which I am the original owner. It's pretty much painful to ride, with its inadequate gearing and creaky noises, but I can't let it go; it's like a child to me.

Don Quijote said:
Out of curiosity, are you introducing yourself to me or just posting a new thread...? Don Quijote
Im not sure actually, this was my very first post ever and intended it to be general 'hello cycle forum and cyclists' , i may not have done it correctly...

OK. I just keep getting e-mails from all over the world, and feel so flattered that I may consider a career in charismatic literature...(he-he) . Don Quijote
Trimom said:
Im not sure actually, this was my very first post ever and intended it to be general 'hello cycle forum and cyclists' , i may not have done it correctly...

Don Quijote said:
Well, I thought I was merely posting my introduction on the introduction thread, but this Usenet thing is kind of confusing for me. Anyway, nice to meet you, Don!

I am an electrician in Florida, USA.

My friends and I enjoy leisure riding (5-20k) on our wonderful bike trail.

Since we do this irregularly I feel like a new man each time and realize how
my laborous work as an electrician falls far short of exercise!

Shouldn't this be<Arnold vioce> "WHo is your daddy, and what does he do." <Arnold vioce>ANyway...:rolleyes:

I live in Eugene Oregon and I manage a bike shop there. (The Bike Barn, if anyone ever ventures out this way)

I'm also the Court Jester over on the Anandtech forums.

So I'm sure I'll "act up" on here from time to time. :D

In fact I'll proably head over to your JOKES forum next and steal a few jokes to pass around. :cool:

Hello Mr. Jester sir.

We got a lady living on the island of Maui named Pam, she's from Eugene. OR.
She used to work for Nike. She's a very nice women in her early 40's.

Do you know her? You said you worked for the "Bike Barn" is why i'm asking.

Maui is nice but she says Eugene is better for snow boarding. Got no snow on Maui, that's for sure.

later
Benjamin