Where are you from,what do you do?

I am from Redlands, California and I am a high school senior English teacher. I am a triathlete but my favorite sport is cycling! The top three reasons I teach are 1) June 2) July and 3) August.
Randy Burkholz

I am 17, a Student from Manchester England. I like mountain biking and using my bike to go to the Airport, where I do photographs of the planes.

I am from Chicago, I have biked accross the U.S. twice, I am looking at this forum to see if the performance bikes Tirreno Razza's are good bikes for my sister in-law - she is just starting out biking.....

FONT=Arial Black[***]/font]***[size]{COLOR=Black]***[/COLOR] :confused:

I have been riding using Shimano spd pedals c/w reccessed spd shoes.I have now found myself drooling over some time RXS carbon pedals. I am getting told that the time cleats will not suit the spd shoes nor will the reccess of the shoe allow quick release from the time pedal. The parts all look like they will work together, but the undertaker in the shop not known for smiles seems to say that I need new everything. I like my spd shoes and dont want to be left with them for walking to the pub. Are time and spd compatable.

Regards John Lenehan

Portland, OR currently. Recently from Michigan and before that (and originally) from Montana. I ride as much as I can (2-4X/wk) depending on time of year. Also mix in some running and climbing too. Excited about cyclocross this fall, which looks pretty great. Will require some bike changes tho. Anyway, am learning a ton on this forum.

Hello All,

I lived the first 40 years (!!!) of my life in South Africa, where I rode for fun and an occasional competiton (always came last) (hey, it's tough at the top - that's why I stay at the bottom / back of the peleton)

I emigrated in 1998 to the United States (Austin, Texas - I even saw Lance Artmstrong's house!!) but within a year moved on to British Columbia, Canada. Have been living here happily since.

I have decided that I have to get back into cycling - I work as a Software Analyst / Developer and Systems Architect - probably the unhealthiest job in the world.... it is slowly killing me, as I sit here in front om my computer.

I am hoping to perhaps work up to taking part in some 50+ races. I am in the process of buying a bike (Specialized Allez), hopefully taking delivery TODAY!!

Hi i'm Johan and from Yorkshire, England. Student currently 17, university next year. York hopefully and thats a cycling city so i might cycle more. Currently I'm a summer recreational cyclist to keep my fitness up for the football season autumn, winter, spring. Medi-oka bike, saracen ventoux but i love it to bits.

Love the thought of climbing but hate it when im half way up that hill and i hate drivers that give you no respect. Tossers the lot of them!

Hi--I'm Ruth, I'm from Seattle. I'm new to biking. I got rid of my car in December, and have really been enjoying my bike, especially with the beautiful weather we've been having. I'm an artist, my studio is on the Burke Gilman Trail. :) This is a great website -- very informative.

i am from washington pa, and just bought a new mt bike to ride in mingo and ohiopyle areas. its snowing hard outside today and i am thinking about going to 7 springs to snowboard. i am 33 and need to use my new bike to get back into shape so i dont get hurt boarding.anyone have any tips on keeping air in my tires during cold weather riding?

Hello from Columbus, OH

A former Cat 3 racer, I moved to Columbus, OH in 2000. I was burnt out. I continued to ride some for the next year but never renewed my license. In 2001, I for the most part gave up riding, except for a rare ride on those rare
days in Central Ohio when it wasnt cloudy, cold, wet or sticky andmiserable beyond belief. That's also when I took up ice hockey, and I'm currently playing goalie.

I had been playing 4 nights a week, and then started realizing how old I'm getting (I'll be 48), and how out of shape I am despite all the time I put in on the ice. And that's because until last Sept I was doing nothing else except hockey and too many 12 oz curls ( they go together so well!). My body wasn't recovering, and it was affecting my game.

Thats when I pulled the bike out, and started training again. It has helped my game to a point, I just need to get more consistent with it. I am now playing only 3 nights a week....and I have no intention of giving it up. Getting the bike out also made me realize how much I missed cycling, and all the benefits I got from it. Not only was I getting in better shape which help my game, but it helped me mentally.

My goal is to get back into race shape, and do some races in the 4's and 5's .

Ike90 said:
Hello all, I'm a writer residing in the Cascade foothills, about 35 miles due east of Seattle, Washington.

I commute to work and back by bike and bike/bus combo approximately 90 percent of my workdays, and have done so for the past three years. I live 17 miles from work, but in poor weather, I can cut my total ride daily distance down to under 10 miles; thank God for bike racks on the busses. As I tell my co-workers, my ride is typically the highlight of my day; I wouldn't trade commutes with anyone.

I have four bicycles. The newest is a 2000 Bike E RX, a so-called short wheel base recumbent. I also have a cheesy GT front suspended Timberline MTB which I have rigged for use on the multitude of trails and logging/powerline roads surrounding my home. The third frame is my commuter and the one I rode most. It's an old hardtail MTB with wet pavement tires and lots of lights and reflectors. My last bike is dearest to my heart. It's a 1972 Peugeot UO-8, of which I am the original owner. It's pretty much painful to ride, with its inadequate gearing and creaky noises, but I can't let it go; it's like a child to me.

Hey Ike90! Seattle bus bike racks are the greatest, as is the express bus system. We have a few (too few) express busses here in Perth, West Oz, but no bike racks. Apparently fitting these makes the busses a few centimetres longer than allowed under the Aussie Design rules that were implemented years ago by a bunch of well meaning but misguided bureaucrats, and none of our pollies has either the wit or the backbone to set about changing them. Quite what we have done to deserve the pollies we have in cannot fathom! We also havethis rail system that forbids bikes on trains during rush hour or within the CBD. And this from a government that's forever exhorting people to use alternative transport to their cars (average occupancy 1.3)!
Keep on biking!

Roddo

I am living in Northern Virginia. I am active duty Coast Guard. Right now since it snows all the time i ride a trainer in the house... i can only sweetly recall the last time it was warm. BUT, lucky me, i am about to transfer to napa valley in northern CA. Jealous? hehehehahahahaa..... i cant wait to ride through the sunny vineyard roads. hit me up on AIM: velogravity

You are there, just PERSIST, like when you have to go to work...but don't feel like it, and can not call in sick!

See, CHANGE only occurs, when we realize that what we need to do is better and more beneficial than what we have been doing, and not working... :cool: DonQ

goalie said:
Hello from Columbus, OH

A former Cat 3 racer, I moved to Columbus, OH in 2000. I was burnt out. I continued to ride some for the next year but never renewed my license. In 2001, I for the most part gave up riding, except for a rare ride on those rare
days in Central Ohio when it wasnt cloudy, cold, wet or sticky andmiserable beyond belief. That's also when I took up ice hockey, and I'm currently playing goalie.

I had been playing 4 nights a week, and then started realizing how old I'm getting (I'll be 48), and how out of shape I am despite all the time I put in on the ice. And that's because until last Sept I was doing nothing else except hockey and too many 12 oz curls ( they go together so well!). My body wasn't recovering, and it was affecting my game.

Thats when I pulled the bike out, and started training again. It has helped my game to a point, I just need to get more consistent with it. I am now playing only 3 nights a week....and I have no intention of giving it up. Getting the bike out also made me realize how much I missed cycling, and all the benefits I got from it. Not only was I getting in better shape which help my game, but it helped me mentally.

My goal is to get back into race shape, and do some races in the 4's and 5's .

Good Afternoon All,

I live in New London, CT and recently purchased a TREK 2300. It is a great bike but it's a bit cold up here in New England right now. Can't wait for warmer weather, high 40's would be nice...LOL.

Hi, my name is James, and I am a recovering couch potato.

I once was a respectable rider, but after marriage, kids, doing the 9-5 thing for a number of years I became overweight and severely out of shape.

For Christmas I purchased a Gary Fischer Mountain bike ( Tarpon), and have been riding 3-4 days per week. In the beginning it about killed me, but now I can ride 10-12 miles at a good pace without caving in.

My goal is to resurrect my Shogun (old road bike) and to begin riding it as well once I have improved my fitness level some more.

I am hoping to get back down to my fighting weight (190 lbs) and to do a century again some day.

I live in greater Montgomery, AL.

Any encouraging testimonials are greatly appreciated!!

Hey. I'm Kate who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I am as big of a BEGINNER as a person could possibly be. I have this old school Peugeot with about 75 pounds of metal mudguards and racks on it. I started commuting to work last week and I'm already completely addicted to cycling. I can't wait to go 100 miles in a day! It sounds intoxicating.
My deal is this: if I switch out of the hella hardest gear, the chain and gear shifter kind of chunk-chunk-chunk back to their original position. Another way to say this is, I can only ride in the hardest gear unless I hold the gear lever thing in position with my hand. This is a pretty ghetto problem, I know. I really want to do my own repairs as much as possible, to learn how a bike really works, but I have no idea where to begin.
Thanks,
K-Dog

Hi im Steve and im from England and i ride because i enjoy it and im hoping to join a club soon and then maybe compete when i get fitter!At the moment om in the process of building my dream bike and have got the wheels and frame now!Really cant wait for the summer so i can get to ride it when its finished!HEHE:D

Hi all I am new member, I am a network engineer work nights 3 nights a week
gives me more time to train, iam a cat4, and cat4 mechanic, i ride a 61cm Specailized E5 and a custom trek cross bike..(travis browns old ride)
currently building a Ridley up photos to follow soon

Gunfighter :cool: