Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi Guest,

I used to do that each morning and every afternoon, for practice a while back (10 Years).

I would always try to keep the trip under an hour. I don't think that is a real great time, but felt fast, and kept me fit into the bargain.

It was also a great perve up and down the Gold Coast beach. It only used to take one great body to make th whole ride worthwhile. Great motivation :)

I am a 57 y.o. female. Came late to cycling, was 32 when I started and still going strong. I live in NC. Any other older types out there?

I grew up in Portland, Oregon and recently moved to Boise, Idaho for work. (Who wouldn't move to fly a Learjet?) I work for a charter company, primarily taking Californians from Rainy California to Sunny Idaho (Sun Valley.) The job is great and allows me lots of spare time- though the schedule is somewhat sporadic and feast/famine style.

Spare time = bike riding time and since there is so much of it, I'd like to add some structure and work toward a few goals. I would LOVE to start racing, but don't really know how to start or who to start with. Anyone from the Boise area on here?

I just bought a mountain bike (specialized stump jumper m2) but am more interested in road racing. I also have a Jamis Coda Comp 'commuter' style bike. How PC or un-PC is it to add dropped handlebars and make my Jamis into a 'road bike'?

Gracias!

-Sarah

planegirlsb said:
I grew up in Portland, Oregon and recently moved to Boise, Idaho for work. (Who wouldn't move to fly a Learjet?) I work for a charter company, primarily taking Californians from Rainy California to Sunny Idaho (Sun Valley.) The job is great and allows me lots of spare time- though the schedule is somewhat sporadic and feast/famine style.

Spare time = bike riding time and since there is so much of it, I'd like to add some structure and work toward a few goals. I would LOVE to start racing, but don't really know how to start or who to start with. Anyone from the Boise area on here?

I just bought a mountain bike (specialized stump jumper m2) but am more interested in road racing. I also have a Jamis Coda Comp 'commuter' style bike. How PC or un-PC is it to add dropped handlebars and make my Jamis into a 'road bike'?

Gracias!

-Sarah

Where did ypou get your training? I work for ERAU in Prescott AZ :)

Hi,

I'm from Perth, Western Australia and am 31 y.o. I work in IT (Unix) for a large local company.

I've been cycling recreationally for six or seven years and have been getting more seriously into road riding the last 6 months or so - after I splashed out on a nice carbon fibre Giant.

I ride to work five days a week and get up early on Saturdays and go for a longer bunch ride. Generally do 200-300k's per week.

Cheers

Karim

concord said:
Where did ypou get your training? I work for ERAU in Prescott AZ :)
Ah, so I'm sort of your peer as I have taken a few ERAU classes online.
All of my flight training/aviation associates degree courses were through Hillsboro Aviation and the Portland Community College, just 15 miles west of Portland, OR.

Are you currently flying?

planegirlsb said:
Ah, so I'm sort of your peer as I have taken a few ERAU classes online.
All of my flight training/aviation associates degree courses were through Hillsboro Aviation and the Portland Community College, just 15 miles west of Portland, OR.

Are you currently flying?

I don't fly, I fix'em. There have been so many students that have gone through this campus that I thought, just perhaps, I might know you. I have been cycling for about fourteen years and have met quite a few pilots that also cycle. What a great industry!
:D

Hi Im Ian Richardson from The Forest of Dean England- is there any one out there who has any expirience in building-riding-breaking etc, a bike as nerdy as a front wheel drive, rear wheel steer tandem trike(2 wheels front 1back)? My thinking is this; FWD would get rid of the 5 miles of chain needed to reach the back, maybe I could drive one wheel & have the other "floating", RWS coz driving and steering the front would need all sorts of UJs & stuff thats beyond my engineering & would be heavy + it would save a hell of a lot of "rigging" (head brgs x2, linkages etc) + it would save the problem of space at the front required for steering. Tandem coz my wife is mad enough to trust my inventions, and a trike coz, well, our most popular destination is the pub & we'd fall off any thing without integral stability!!
Im after bits to get started (stub axles & hubs) & would much appreciate any sergestions or thoughts.
Cheers, Ian

Ian Richardson said:
Hi Im Ian Richardson from The Forest of Dean England- is there any one out there who has any expirience in building-riding-breaking etc, a bike as nerdy as a front wheel drive, rear wheel steer tandem trike(2 wheels front 1back)? My thinking is this; FWD would get rid of the 5 miles of chain needed to reach the back, maybe I could drive one wheel & have the other "floating", RWS coz driving and steering the front would need all sorts of UJs & stuff thats beyond my engineering & would be heavy + it would save a hell of a lot of "rigging" (head brgs x2, linkages etc) + it would save the problem of space at the front required for steering. Tandem coz my wife is mad enough to trust my inventions, and a trike coz, well, our most popular destination is the pub & we'd fall off any thing without integral stability!!
Im after bits to get started (stub axles & hubs) & would much appreciate any sergestions or thoughts.
Cheers, Ian
would you not be better off just avoiding the pub, since any amount of stability isn't really going to prevent you riding into the path of other moving traffic.

since really its best to avoid cycling if you can't walk a straight line, or maintain your balance. Stick to using a TAxi its would probably be safer for everyone...lol mad idea and invention like but the reasoning behind your idea is madder still. if you do manage to create this contraption, i hope you remember to ensure that your life insurance polices are upto date :D

Hi from an old newbie,
Well the snow is melting up here in NE Ohio and that means BIKE! I commute 'weather' possible to my job as a special education teacher on a Jamis Aurora. My 55th BD is coming in a week so I ordered a Quest, my first true road bike.

jedde said:
Hi from an old newbie,
Well the snow is melting up here in NE Ohio and that means BIKE! I commute 'weather' possible to my job as a special education teacher on a Jamis Aurora. My 55th BD is coming in a week so I ordered a Quest, my first true road bike.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO.....the Quest is a nice bike. In fact all the Jamis` are nice bikes. My personal fav is the Eclipse but the 2005 Comet looks mighty darn hot.

BTW - I short listed the Quest back in 2002 but since the small (in scope of bikes in shop) local Jamis dealer didn`t have one on hand I opted for another bike that I could actually get fitted too.

I hear nothing but good things about the Quest. Enjoy.

Ian Richardson said:
Hi Im Ian Richardson from The Forest of Dean England-....a bike as nerdy as a front wheel drive, rear wheel steer tandem trike(2 wheels front 1back)? My thinking is this; FWD would get rid of the 5 miles of chain needed to reach the back...
Ian
I used to be a able seaman on an Oil Tanker. That bike would steer like a ship. When you turn, it's not so much as the front of the bike moves where you want to go, as the rear of the bike swings away from where you want to go. If you want to make a ship turn right, you put the rudder to the right, and the stern swings left.

You'd have to watch that on narrow trails, or when squeezing between cars parked on the side of the street, and cars in the first lane. If you steer at all, the rear of such a bike will swing wide to the left or right.

The chain wouldn't be any shorter than a standard tandem. If it reaches through two cranksets and up to the front it would be equally as long as a standard tandem chain.

I think it would be a fun project, but it absolutely will not simplify your life one bit, nor will it be feasible to ride it while intoxicated.

Occasional lurker from Brisbane, Oz. Commute, but only around 11k, into town on either an 18yo (?) MTB - High Sierra or near new Norco Corsa.

Developing a curiosity for fixed wheel. Any experience/opinion on viability in Bris - we have hills - would I need to double up on thigh thickness?

Kate:

Welcome to our madness! Some bike shops have do-it-yourself classes to learn to adjust things like shifters. You should have your ride looked over once by a pro at the start, and then maybe you can do some maint on the chain, hubs, etc. Bicylcling Magazine's "Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" has a lot of good info for budding home mechanics, but is no substitute for real training.

I built my first set of wheels last summer, and it was fun. I find that I am better off leaving some things to the pros though.

Bruce

My deal is this: if I switch out of the hella hardest gear, the chain and gear shifter kind of chunk-chunk-chunk back to their original position. Another way to say this is, I can only ride in the hardest gear unless I hold the gear lever thing in position with my hand.

staceyt said:
I am a 57 y.o. female. Came late to cycling, was 32 when I started and still going strong. I live in NC. Any other older types out there?
Stacy,

You are as young as you think you use to be! lol That is why I love cycling...its a truly Life Long sport! They should have more of it in High School and Jr. Highs! Keep pedalin'!

Pedal On,

Bob Light

I'm from the n'western suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US.

I'm a structural engineer designing bridges and encouraging bike lanes be put on them.

I'm a high school teacher in Dubbo, a rural city in Australia.

I commute by bike - about 5km each way, half of which is on bike/pedestrian paths and cycle lanes.
--
John

I am from Canberra, retired and looking foward to enjoying cycling in and around this beautiful city.