Where are you from,what do you do?

from Missouri said:
My dilemma is this: I have a Giant AC air with over a thousand fairly hard miles on it and I am wondering if I should replace or upgrade it. I'm not sure what year it is, but is has a Psylo fork, SID shok and an exquisitely ugly gold and black paint job.

I weigh 185lbs and use the bike for xc and light fr riding. The bike works fine and I like it lot so I'm leaning towards overhauling/upgrading it, but don’t want to invest money if there is a clearly superior ride available. My budget is about $2000-2500 (plus whatever I could get if I sold the giant). Any advice would be appreciated.
If you're looking to blow a couple of grand on a bike, you can certainly find latest/greatest in racing, touring, mountain, recumbent, commuting, and other kinds of bikes.

If the bike's holding up well, though, you can take a good chunk of that money in your cycling budget and upgrade the wheels, tires, drive train, brakes (think disc ;) ), shifters, etc. and mount a nice $400 blue halogen light on it. Oh, and of course upgrade your seat while you're at it. That way you get to keep using the frame that seems to have treated you quite well so far (with a new paint job, maybe) but essentially be riding a new bike for a healthy fraction of the cost.

from Missouri said:
Hi everyone, I’m originally from New York (get a rope!) and am a student. I have a question and was unsure which forum I should post it in.

My dilemma is this: I have a Giant AC air with over a thousand fairly hard miles on it and I am wondering if I should replace or upgrade it. I'm not sure what year it is, but is has a Psylo fork, SID shok and an exquisitely ugly gold and black paint job.

I weigh 185lbs and use the bike for xc and light fr riding. The bike works fine and I like it lot so I'm leaning towards overhauling/upgrading it, but don’t want to invest money if there is a clearly superior ride available. My budget is about $2000-2500 (plus whatever I could get if I sold the giant). Any advice would be appreciated.
Why not just paint it? You seem to really like the bike otherwise and may end up sinking $2500 into a bike you end up not liking nearly as much. That would be really sad. Take the bike into a shop you can trust not to take you for all you have and get it serviced but don't mention thoughts of selling it for a new one or you'll have a salesperson all over you. I find when I speak directly to the guy who services bikes all day he actually gives me tips on how to save money. Just don't make the mistake of giving the appearance of having lots of bucks to blow or you no doubt will. Let me know how it works out for you.

Hi to all:)
My name is Mohammad and I'm from Iran, I live in a famous city called Shiraz.
it's my first time to join such net group like this and hope that I can be useful for other cyclist in this group, the one who want to know about my country and everything else, I love traveling with mountain bike I almost try to find some catalogue about all equipments of the bike and bikes as well becuase here it's too difficult to find then at the shops that's why we have to watch them in the magazines and catalogues.
anyway, I work as a receptionist in a 3 star Hotel and I work in my father's factory as a cabinet maker on my spare time as well.
that's all about me.
hope to hearing of the people who are friendly to make friendship
Mohammad;)

I'm from North Hempstead, NY. I have been biking for a month now. I have a 10 year old 35 lb. Huffy that I've ridden from Bayville to Hicksville and from Bethpage to Jones Beach. I just ordered a 19 lb Motobecane, so I'll be able to enjoy the ride more. I still have trouble lifting my hands from the bar to signal, so I always ride with a partner. I guess balance will come in time.:rolleyes:

Dear sir or Madam
I know a lot about myata bikes actually it called koga myata, this is a really good brand and I think the body is made in Netherlands and if I had enough budget I would prefer to have one. but know I ride with a Bridgeston mountain bike, it's a Japanese one that I brought it from UAE last year.
anyway hope all information to be useful to you
take care
Mohammad;)

Sahayoga said:
I am from Ontario Canada and have seen a second hand looks almost new Port Grosso ??Myata bike and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good bike to buy.

G'day All

From Melbourne, rode and raced many years ago but then took up drinking beer as a hobby and hence riding has suffered. Now off the **** an making a effort to get fit again, in between work (accountant) and looking after my kids:) . Generally ride out St Andrews area and up to Kinglake as often as I can.

Erm, greetings all.

Well, I'm from Coventry, England.

What I do isn't really particularly interesting, and I've recently got back into cycling since giving up due to an abundance of bike thefts and a sudden interest in computers instead!

Now I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, ideally I would like to build my own bike up from scratch, but right now I would settle for maintainence skills, minor repairs, tweaks etc... I've always been the hands on type I guess.

Hi everybody, I'm Ed, a fat middleaged man looking to be more active. I've not cycled seriously in over 10 years, and back then it was only occasionally. I'm researching which bike to buy right now,hopefully I'll get some ideas here. Hope to talk to you soon, thanks.

Hi All!

I'm from downtown Toronto. I cycle to work every day, after dropping off my 2 yr old with my hubby, using a bike trailer. I used to ride the streetcar - took a good 40 mins and made me feel motionsick. Now I have a nice 20 min ride to work and enjoy the exercise.

Cheers!

Melani :cool:

Hey everyone - I'm Ashley and from Bucks in England, about 20 miles West fron London. Also spend loads of time in brighton for university so do a lot of riding around the South Downs.

Only had a road bike for a few months (progressed from a hybrid) but doing about 200 miles a week roughly, with some longer rides generally from High Wycombe to GBrighton (about 80 miles)

Take it easy

:)Hi Ed
I have just gotten back into riding i broke my back and had to find a different kind of bike i now own a tadpole trike and love it easy on the back and behind and easy on the legs you will find many many different kinds of riders on this messageboard and many kinds of cycles just got my hubby a recumbent and he loves it so we are saying good bye to the mountain bikes we loved so much and riding bents and trikes... happy hunting and good riding..

eddie813 said:
Hi everybody, I'm Ed, a fat middleaged man looking to be more active. I've not cycled seriously in over 10 years, and back then it was only occasionally. I'm researching which bike to buy right now,hopefully I'll get some ideas here. Hope to talk to you soon, thanks.

Hello to all of you out there. Norway is a great country for mountain bikers, at least parts of the year, just come and check it out. I recently bought a VooDoo mtb Easton Elite frame, almost half the weight of my PowerBook. It has got some age, but it has beauty and spirit. In daytime I'm teaching graphic design, and ... well, that's about it.

See you around
Andreas Hauper

Long Island, N.Y., U.S. is my home.
No mountain passes -- but lots of hills.
Some beautiful areas where the ultra rich live with very few cars - nice riding.

Me - I am older every year, but younger than my peers who do not ride.
IT, Web Design, Network Consultant Geek.
Love bicycling for all the right reasons and because its cheaper than therapy.

lmoe said:
Long Island, N.Y., U.S. is my home.
No mountain passes -- but lots of hills.
Some beautiful areas where the ultra rich live with very few cars - nice riding.

Me - I am older every year, but younger than my peers who do not ride.
IT, Web Design, Network Consultant Geek.
Love bicycling for all the right reasons and because its cheaper than therapy.
I also am from Long Island. Where do you hail from. Sounds like Port Jeff or the Hamptons. I live in Smithtown myself and completely agree with you on all counts.

I am from Israel and I ride a full suspension mountain bike.
I usually ride about 20k every afternoon when the heat simmers down.

jake1972 said:
G'day All

From Melbourne, rode and raced many years ago but then took up drinking beer as a hobby and hence riding has suffered. Now off the **** an making a effort to get fit again, in between work (accountant) and looking after my kids:) . Generally ride out St Andrews area and up to Kinglake as often as I can.
G'day, Jake. Similar story. I used to race, and share the same hobby. I work up in Malaysian Borneo (Sarawak) and have my family down in Perth. I get 1 month off per year. Time with the family is limited and I work a 7-day week, so bike riding tends to get a limited look-in.
I tried veteran track some time ago when I was back in Aussie and it was a hoot. Over where I am, the only racing is Mountain Biking (kind of uncompetitive on my fixed-wheel track bike). All my riding is done in the dark (not through choice - It's dark when I start work and it's dark when I finish). I just try to go out and chase cars for a while each night.
Eoin

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)

From Virginia, 150 miles a week. I am 57 so I don't go over that unless for an event.