Where are you from,what do you do?

theresa51 said:
re_biker@yahoo.
Hey, Bill! I agree about not going too fast, my problems is getting up some of those hills in the first place! Do you use clips or clipless pedals? I'm still using the original pedals that came on my Electra, and I don't think I'm getting enough power...thanks for the response! Theresa
Well, hello back, Theresa51, good to hear from you!:) On my CG STX recumbent, I use the old school toes clips and straps; I've never used clipless pedals before. As far as I'm concerned, clips and straps are good enough for me in its simplicity in using any shoe you'd care to wear! I have used pedal straps called Powergrips on my Vision R-44, and they will offer an effect more akin to clipless pedals in terms of performance. At $20.00, Powergrips cost way less than clipless pedals and their required usage of cleated compatible shoes!:( As time goes on, I will probably switch to Powergrips and that will be very sufficient for me!:) When climbing hills, just go it slowly and easy in your low gear spin cadence, and with time you'll find you're becoming a stronger climber! If your Electra isn't equipped with toe strap compatible pedals, you can find them in any bike shop; with your feet somewhat "married" to the pedals you'll discover that you have better power transfer in your spin cadence, better control, and an overall better ride!!!;) Take care, darling!!:cool:

Hello fellow cycling people! I am from the pleasant state of Utah and I don't spend near enough time on the bike. I prefer mountain to road, but given the price per gallon of gasoline, I am trying to find a cheap commuter bike!

Hi I'm Simon
I'm 16 from Redditch/Birmingham England.

I got a few weeks off now untill I start College in September, I'm going to study Film/Media.

I have not long got back from Florida where I went on a few good rides with some older riders and had a great time meetinf new people and learning. I was told I had some good potential in cycling and i should seriously consider taking it up to higer level, so thats exactly what I'm doing.

Now I'm back in England I need to settle down to some good training before winter soon comes.

I'm into road cycling at the mo, but hope to compete in races and TT when I get a bit more experience.

Simon

Hello all........

Illinois...............the great midwest. I'm about 50 miles southwest of Chicago

mostly ride mountain bike. Trails are difficult to find here. Must travel to designated trails. With the fuel prices what they are I've been riding locally alot or stopping somewhere on my drive home from work.

Hello everyone from sunny Tucson, AZ! I have been living in Tucson for about a year and a half now and have to say that it seems to be great for cycling. I'm 33 and in the Air Force. Before Tucson, I was stationed in Germany at Spangdahlem AB, great assignment! Ironically, I didn't get involved with cycling in Europe, I waited til I got back to the States. If there is anybody out there that lives in this area or Germany, say hello.--Toobored

Guest said:
How about all you new members tell us about yourselves ;D
Hi All I'm from Canada i live on an island which is great roading very little traffic. I mostly solo but just got back from doing a provincial tour Tour for Kids charity ride for kids with cancer we travelled 830 kms in 4 days raised $600,000 for the kids camps . It was an awesome experience i wear know the Livestrong band and also a beautiful blue one that says "until there is a cure there is camp" nice to find a forum i love to ride somewhere meaningful allthe best cheers ds

Gidday!..I'm a keen commuter, recreational and very occasional, very amatuer racer. I enjoy following all the varies threads on cycling I especiall the local politics of it all...melbourne Australia).....now if only someone could tell me how to register on the bicycle cafe forum so I could maybe add a little of my opinions.....

Thanks...Pat

Born in New York and BMX'ed in the Syracuse-Liverpool area back in the early 1980's..... stole money from my aunties+uncles safe to finance my bike addiction (better than stealing money and doing drugs, right?). Spent about $2,000.00 on a beautiful Pro-Neck "National Pro" with Redline Flight 180mm cranks - DK alloy hubs - super light 20"x1.5" Araya aluminum alloy drilled-out rims - all sealed-bearings - raced it in the EBA with some promising results - got stolen.

Did hard labor as a busboy in a restaurant in NYC at 13-14 years old and saved enough dough for a new Skyway TA ("Totally Aerodynamic" :rolleyes: ) with Profile cranks (a more manageable 175mm) DK alloy stem/headset CW handlebars two sets of Skyway Tuff Wheels (color-matched Tuff brake pads does not leave color-matched brake-pad smear on Tuff wheels!) Dia-Compe MX-900 brakes and so many other good stuff I can't recall. I was one of the top bunny-hoppers in New York back then. Moved overseas that year and never BMX'ed again.

I'm a reborn cyclist now, thanks due in part to media coverage of the Tour De France and Lance's story as an athlete and competitor. Bought a 24" mountain-bike-like jalopy for only $79.99 at the local Targets (didn't realize until later that the sticker on head-tube says: "Ladies Bike" :mad: but looks like a heavy-duty guys' bike!). But the dang thing weighs 38 pounds and is quite difficult to even maintain 21+MPH on flats!

But I've been riding HARD FAST and LONG on it for the last few months with much climbs to boot here in the eastern Los Angeles area where I've been living for the last 10+ years. I think my 36y.o. body need more recovery time! My urban riding experience from childhood days in NYC has prepared me extremely well for the urban traffic conditions here! I'd be blazin' rippin' & zippin' through local traffic and its laws in both daily commutes as well as fiery leisure rides........ JUST WAIT UNTIL I GETS ME AN 18 POUND ROAD RACER!!! (as long as i don't kill myself first). Any recommendz? The Fuji Team in "Plutonium" seems like a hot value, but I don't dig the triple-chainrings at the front; preferring the 2-chainring which is all I need from my experience on my $79.99 jalopy.

first time poster from glasgow, scotland. NOT a serious bike bod as yet, but if the flesh is willing...:eek:

relatively new cyclist (4 yrs) in metrowest MA, traffic's not too bad where i am. got my fiancee into cycling. go a bit faster than her, though; i have a newer Trek hybrid :D , she has a Specialized comfort bike; she'll upgrade eventually... hope to try self-contained touring next year after getting back from a week-long credit card tour in france, May 2006! yes, that'll be the honeymoon ;)

Yo, Im from Oklahoma City, OK. Im just getting into cycling because of my political stance and beacuse I would like a healthier way to get around. So, thought this would be a good place to ask questions and the like. Uh, I aint got much more to say, so take it easy!

I'm from Los Angeles. I work in the entertainment industry, property (interior design department). I've been cycling for four weeks. I did my first century on Saturday. I ride a seven Alaris that I've Dubbed "The Warrior". I take a spin class about three times a week. I'm not quite comfortable wheel to wheel yet but I did do some time up front in one of the small peletons in the century (Cool Breeze) in Ventura. I have sort big arms and I'm getting used to the idea of letting them get smaller (tighter). I'm gonna miss the guns!

Hey everyone!!

My name is Jason I'm 24 years old, and I just stumbled across this page earlier today. I have had some mountain bike experience in the past but nothing serious.

I really want to get into road biking and have looked at the 2005 Trek 1500, specialized allez and the fuji roubaix. I am 6ft 3in tall so I guess I would need a 60cm/Large traditional frame bike or a 58cm compact frame.

It seems that the Trek 1500 has the most for the money. I only want to spend about $1k. Any input would really help!:confused:

The only concerns I have, which have kept me from purchasing a road bike this long are (1) the narrow road tires - make me nervous coming from a massive mountain bike tire (2) the wrecks have gotta hurt compared to crashing in the dirt!:eek: hahaha, go easy on me, here.

Anyway, any input or help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-J

've just seen a link from another forum, trying to have a look here and its really a nice forum, lots of information..looking forward to join in the discussion if it feels that im ready.

Hey all,
Ryan here from Baltimore. I work full time doing in house graphic design for a church in Harford County, MD.

I've always ridden, but have just gotten more serious about commuting to work 4 or 5 days a week, and am looking into starting cyclo-x this fall.

Only bike I own right now is a fuji cross-pro

e-male said:
Yes, Vo2, I am certainly going to try. I did it last year, although I did not do much training. I have the Argus 3 times. However, I am not yet in the sub-3 category.

What about you? Any sparkling tips, drugs ;) (hehehe), boosters etc?

STEVE FROM PENTICTON B.C. CANADA HERE . I BUMPED INTO THIS SITE WHILE LOOKING FOR MORE INFO ON THE LATEST LANCE -DOPING STORY . LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF GOOD COMMENTS AND INFO HERE .http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ken, Ohio. Writer.

Just rebuilt a Huffy Sportsman AW 64-1 Sturmey-Archer hub. Totally Raleigh top to bottom. It didn't have an American made part on it.

STEVERENO said:
STEVE FROM PENTICTON B.C. CANADA HERE . I BUMPED INTO THIS SITE WHILE LOOKING FOR MORE INFO ON THE LATEST LANCE -DOPING STORY . LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF GOOD COMMENTS AND INFO HERE .http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
Hi Stevereno I'm just new on site hoping to chat about my passion road biking i love long tours for charity just finished Tour for Kids it may go national next year i'm from Ontario Cheers ds