Where are you from,what do you do?

A student from Melbourne Australia, owner of a nice carbon steed. Look forward to getting more posts behind me, and dharing in the community atmosphere.

I'm in Hollister, Ca

Long Distance rider
Have done the Furance Creek 508 on 2 teams
508 miles
35,000 feet of climbing
50+ 4 man team
25 hours 38 minutes 38 seconds
Max speed 59 mph (DOWN HILL OF COURSE)
This was in 2001 and 2002
Hi from california

Newbie checking in from NC. Decided to start riding again after one of my high school friends started racing again and convinced me to get back in the saddle as well. So now I'm in the process of trying to sell my old bike (DeRosa with C-Record Delta) to partially fund the purchase of a new toy. Until then, I'll be tooling around on my Mt. Bike.

I just realised that I posted in this thread back in January 2003 and a few things have chaged in the past three and a half years so I guess I should post an update.

-Name: Rodney Olsen

-Profession: Radio Announcer

-Road Bike: Kojima K900

-Mountain Bike: Giant ATX 840

-Longest Ride: 203 km in a day. 4500km in five weeks

-Rides of note: Cycled across Australia 5 times as well as smaller rides in India and Canada

-Martial Status: Incredibly, deliriously, happily married with two beautiful children

-Favorite Musical Artists: Everything But The Girl, Bob Dylan, Joe Jackson, Diana Krall, Larry Norman .. and far too many more to list

-Favorite food: Indian

-Religion: Believer and follower of Jesus Christ

2 wheels good said:
Where? Im an Essex Boy (UK) but im trying to break the mould.

What? Just about to re start law career after a year travelling and a year wasted doing nada!
Am relatively new to cycling- did ''the most dangerous road in the world'' :confused: ride in Bolivia and there was no looking back.

Love excercising and hate traffic so much I cant be sitting in a traffic jam and take 50 mins to get to work (its less than 7 miles). Love sailing past them and flippin them a mental middle finger.

Want to get myself a decent racer and start taking on a bit more.

Now then, as a newbie, who's going play nice and give me some advice? cycling to work but having no showers, needing to look smart and being prone to sweat like a leeking tap- how am going to dodge that curveball? Baby wipes?!!

Whats the most dangerous thing on the roads?

Hi, sweat is a curveball, esp. with no showers. Don't knock the baby wipes, they contain bactericides that will help the BO and alcohol that feels cool.
Firstly be careful what you wear, anything that lets the breeze through will help. Not sure how this equates to UK weather, I'm in West Oz, Ground Effect <www.groundeffect.co.nz> make gear out of a wicking fabric that seems to be just about transparent to wind. I wear the long sleeved stuff right through summer, seems illogical in 38 Celsius weather but it keeps the solar gain down and the breeze still does its stuff. Get it off as soon as you stop as its still long sleeved gear. Without fierce sun their short sleeved stuff will be good.
Secondly take it easy. if your 7 mile commute takes 50 mins by car stretch it out to 40 mins on the bike and spend the other 10 in a shady spot with a breeze. Then when you've cooled off sufficiently change in the loo (or wherever) and use the baby wipes.
Thirdly try showering in the morning as well as at night (if that's your routine -I've been an evening showerer all my life - lived in hot climates & by the end of the day I stink) as this will get rid of any nocturnal build up that's innocuous in the morning but by lunchtime will be making it's presence felt. It's not the sweat that pongs, its the bacteria that thrives in it - there's your baby wipes again.
I'm only into showering after my morning commute (28km) during the height of summer here where its unavoidable, using the other strategies 10 months in the year and no one's complained yet. (My fellow countrymen are pretty forthright about such things I can assure you, so if there was a problem I'd know)
All the best.

Al from Pert, Australia. Been riding a mtn bike to keep fit for other sport for a few years. Got a racer a couple of months ago which has dramatically increased the urge to go faster and further once saddle options were sorted out. Looks like an interesting forum.

Hi all, I'm a graphic designer and photographer. 46 yrs old, live at Bondi Beach and have recently returned to cycling after a two year break due to injury. I've been riding all my life apart from that: Originally road riding, but bought a Fisher ProCaliber rigid steel MTB when they first came out which provided me with about 18 years of good service.

Trying to get out of the car dependance thing, I'd been looking for a good commuter with offroad ability and recently bought a 2005 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra on eBay. Loving it! Currently doing about 30-35km per day on the road, then throwing on a set of 26" wheels, flicking on the Headshok and heading for the trails when I can. It seems to do everything I need it to do.

Now if I could only solve the occasional chainsuck problem...

PrincessDianne said:
Hi i'm PrincessDianne from Seattle, Washinton i also love biking with my friends. It's nice to be here hope i am welcome here
Keep posting your spam threads and you'll find yourself very unwelcome very soon.

I'm from Melbourne Australia and a mate has just convinced me to do the round the bay in a day (210km). I commute 20km each way on a squeaky old bike and now need to upgrade - looking at flat bar road bikes, can't work out what to get. Looking to spend $1200-1500, any advice out there?

fff

Hello there. I am from Brasil. A country where everything is about soccer, I am everything about cycling.

I am training 4 to 6 days a week, just for the fun of it, but training hard.

I am an Engineer, but not at work right now. So got a lot of time to spend on the saddle.

I hate cars, so I ride my bike everywhere I can, although we get no respect from the drivers.

This is a great forum, getting lots of help here.

Name: Jamie Perkins

Job!: Studying for a masters of Pharmacy

Training: New to racing. Will be cycling to campus every day and go out at the weekends for a longer ride

I ride five days a week anywhere between 20 and 40km. Normally on the Don Valley trail to Victoria Park, or Edwards Gardens. Sometimes I go to the beach but I got knocked over a month ago outside the Westin hotel on the quay so it still freeaks me out.

I am an aging roadie. I saved up and bought my first, a Lime Green Metallic Schwinn Varsity Sport, as a teen in the early 1960's in central Maine (US). I've been riding ever since, although I have to admit I also love fast cars. I now live in north central Illinois (US), and I ride as often as I can given that I travel a lot as a business and operations consultant to financially "troubled" companies.

Doug

kidflash here. i hate picking new forum names :)

anyway, i'm mostly a runner, but i cycle to work (just started a few months ago) 18km a day - and am considering an ambitious cycling affair for next year.

i popped in to get some training tips, buying tips, etc.

i'm from winnipeg, canada. it's friggin cold here in the winter, making december and january riding a bit tough - but i'm going to give it the college try this year for the first time.

nice to meet ya'll.

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)
Hi,

I ride to work and back for practice - about 33km each way and try and hit the Adelaide hills (Old Freeway to Crafers) at least once per week

Good fat burning riding in the mornings - especially with an empty stomach :)

Cheers,

I am from outside Knoxville, Tennessee USA and I am a paramedic.I just began biking seriously a couple of months ago, although I have always owned a bike.
David