Where are you from,what do you do?

I am from Sicily as a child; in my teens, I moved to San Jose & then Marin in California. I currently work for a software company close by to where I live.

When I have an extended period of time, I try to ride more often (30 - 50 mls 5x a week). Although I would like to race, I realize that my free time does not permit it; so now I ride just for myself.

I follow the racing scene fairly closely, although I am sorry to say that the drug violations make me a bit more skeptical of many of the top riders. Still, it is very enjoyable to follow along, esp. the Tour de France.

I'm happy to be here and would like to say hello to all of you :)

U.S. Navy Brat - born in Newport, RI, USA lived in same; then Norwich, CT; Norfolk, VA; Oceanside, CA; Honolulu, HI, Haleiwa, HI, back to Oceanside, CA; then to Bremerton, WA, and then finally to New London, CT all before 6th grade.(Dad was on subs). Stayed there through 2 year college, hired by IBM in Burlington, Vermont. Stayed there 16 years, finishing college, skiing, biking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, brewing beer, and met my wife while she was visiting and bike touring with her sister (I was their brother's roommate). Fell head over heels, whirlwind romance, and now 17 years and 4 kids later we live in Millbrook, NY. I manage a bunch of scientists and managers at IBM - and we make microprocessor chips for the Sony PS3, Microsoft Xbox360 & the Nintendo Wii, as well for as IBM computers. Very fun.
Re-discovering bicycling after a "child rearing" hiatus. Got the bug this winter after riding this summer to build a Windsor Kennet for my wife to replace her 80's vintage Centurion (good bike in it's day). I also am building a Ridley Crossbow Cyclocross and a Cannondale Silk Road for myself to replace my 1984 Univega Gran Tourismo. I just sold my Trek 4900 MTB on Ebay as well - cause I will never put it through it's rightful paces. ;)
Looking through "guided" touring catalogues now -- can't wait until spring !
Oh yea - here is my wife's nephew:
http://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=206020
He's helped inspire me:)

George

Okay, so where to begin? i'm not even sure if i am in the right place...
if this ends up on some board/thread etc. where it wasn't intended, pray forgive the intrusion (i am a neo-ludite, i do not like computers, cyberspace etc...that's one reason i like bikes - they are simple, i understand them and they don't crash nearly as often as computers do).

so here's my story...
i think i may be on the cusp of a major life change.
i have been a teacher/college professor for over two decades...i currently teach holistic health at a small private university...
and (please no hissing or boo-ing) i stem from the united states...
but i didn't vote for george... so don't blame me...

i have given thought to cycling in new zealand for quite some time, but one thing that has disuaded me is that my summer vacation coincides with New Zealand's winter which i hear can be rather wet....

however, an acquaintance who visited NZ last year is adament that NZ is where i need to be, in terms of the quality of life, the warmth and charm of the people, and of course the beauty of the land....
so i am seeking a cycling companion for the end of may into june? july?

if you are interested, know anyone who is interested or simply have tips or suggestions (other than: "stay home yank") i would welcome your input...

oh, i used to lead bike tours in canada, europe, the u.s. caribbean, etc..
i love to tour and really enjoy sharing new places (good times and bad times) with a travel partner...

well that's about it...
wishing you all a warm and peaceful day...

I'm from Nerang on the Gold Coast and cycle for fun.

I also market an interesting product that I feel is of great benefit to the cycling community because I have a pro cyclist using it and giving it rave reviews.

Take a look at www.recoverysportsdrink.com and make up your own mind from there.

Take care and stay safe !

i take up space in NE Indiana, USA; since, like the old song says, "i can't do what i want, so i do what i can", i build **** for the biggest retailer in the world, and try to make it rideable for the duffers who never will know what a real bike is like. when i'm not doing that, i'm on MY ride, either alone or with my daughter (& preschool nephew sometimes too!), spinning around town; skinny tires aren't the way to go here, too many tore-up streets and bad drivers -- you have to be able to go all-terrain to get from A to B. i build all my own rides, as well as the family's stuff -- a couple buds hit me up from time to time to do things they either can't do or don't have the tools for. at the moment, the weather gives me the blues a bit, as today was the first day in over a week w/ +10F temps. i do always seem to miss some time during the winter, so i guess this year, i'm in the middle of it....

I'm from Central Illinois and I'm working on changing careers. My bikes are sitting all forlorn and lonely out in the garage waiting for temps to rise above arctic.

Hi all im living in Melbourne Australia....

Its a great cycling city with lots of paths and bike lanes.

Good support from local government and weather is great to

pics available of where i live here www.craigspics.info

Hi all, I am David. I ride a hard tail Jamis MTB and enjoy short fast runs and longer distance touring style trips. If any one knows my little area of the world, they'll know its very flat and I have yet to learn of any where suitable for some true mountain biking. If you live near me (~10 miles) and are interested in becoming cycling buddies, please do drop me a message and we can go from there.

:)

Hi toghether!

Mu name is Arek and I'm from Poland. Should You have any questions about cycle clothing, feel free to mail me it is my proffession.

Cheers,
Arek :cool:

Hi all, my name is Joe, I'm 61, I live in Sydney, Australia, I'm semi retired and so very happy to have plenty of time to enjoy riding bikes, although at the moment
I don't seem to be doing too well, that's not for the sake of trying, I've been riding an MTB for the past 3 to 4 years, I'm now trying to sell it so I can buy a Mongoose Randonneur, I am desparately trying to motivate my self to train for the Sydney to the Gong ride which is about 90 kms., it seems it's a lot harder to sell then I anticipated, I suppose I'll have be a bit patient, I'll stop waffling for now, I don't want to put any one to sleep..........................
Cheers..........Joe...........

Pedlin Rooster said:
Hi all, my name is Joe, I'm 61, I live in Sydney, Australia, I'm semi retired and so very happy to have plenty of time to enjoy riding bikes, although at the moment
I don't seem to be doing too well, that's not for the sake of trying, I've been riding an MTB for the past 3 to 4 years, I'm now trying to sell it so I can buy a Mongoose Randonneur, I am desparately trying to motivate my self to train for the Sydney to the Gong ride which is about 90 kms., it seems it's a lot harder to sell then I anticipated, I suppose I'll have be a bit patient, I'll stop waffling for now, I don't want to put any one to sleep..........................
Cheers..........Joe...........
just keep you ride Jo, you may never know when you might want to rekindle mtbing

best to join a club if you looking for motivation to ride

not sure where in sydney you live but there are plenty of BUGS to join

i belong to BikeNorth and they have plenty of rides...many also seem to be semi retired

syd to gong isn't that hard, it is pretty slow going up to half way, with a few hills at the end thrown in for good measure... there is no rush so most regular cyclist should be able to ride it

i'm from from eindhoven, the netherlands and im studying mechanical engineering.

I am involved in a project to design a Trackhub. i do noy cycle a lot at the moment but i'm interested in mountainbiking

retired aussie.live in brisbane, 1st. job 1952 worked @ general accessaries, on, jawa @ cz motor bikes, pushbikes were malvern star, owned 5 star racer,made from 531 tube,(snapped the main bar) chain gears were benelux @ later huret, using 5 speed cluster..

now ride malvern star mountain bike removed chain wheel derailer (too many gears for me)

prossiy

Hello, I am from northern California and I teach 4th and 5th grade and theatre. I will take part in a 1000 mile fund raiser in August and need to start training. In fact, I don't even have a bike yet. Hoping to get some info on this site on where to begin, and where to find a bike to fit a 4'11' female.

Hi, I'm Bev, I live in Abbotsford B.C. I work in a bike shop and ride daily. I ride Norco (that is what we sell) I have a road bike with 105 on it and a mountain bike with deore. I also have a cruiser, well two cruisers now. I just got a brand new ( actually 35 years old but only recently taken out of the box) puegot road bike. It is purple and absolutely beautiful. Besides driving kids around my life is bikes and Starbucks. Thanks.

dreamcatcher719 said:
Hi, I'm Bev, I live in Abbotsford B.C. I work in a bike shop and ride daily. I ride Norco (that is what we sell) I have a road bike with 105 on it and a mountain bike with deore. I also have a cruiser, well two cruisers now. I just got a brand new ( actually 35 years old but only recently taken out of the box) puegot road bike. It is purple and absolutely beautiful. Besides driving kids around my life is bikes and Starbucks. Thanks.
Welcome dreamcatcher719

Enjoy your stay @
logo.gif

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." ~ Albert Einstein
200_Einstein_bicycle.jpg
http://mt0.cyclingforums.com/logo.gif

Hey Bev. Welcome. I'm from upstate New York under about 14 feet of snow at the moment. Last year at this time I had ridden 300 miles. I figure by March I'll be able to get the bike out of the garage. I understand, you guys had some unusual weather last year. Stanley Park took a big hit. Sounds like you found a treasure in a box.

Hello, I'm Dave from the Fox Valley area west of Chicago, Illinois. I've been road cycling for about 18 years.

BetweenRides said:
Hello, I'm Dave from the Fox Valley area west of Chicago, Illinois. I've been road cycling for about 18 years.
Ahhh, a Brooks as an avatar. Excellent choice! Welcome on board (great name too!).