Where are you from,what do you do?

Originally posted by brightgarden
Hello,

I am from (and am still in) Arlington, Virginia. I biked a ton as a kid and even did most of my own bike maintenance, but from 12 to 27, I did not own a bike or go biking. Then about 10 years ago, I bought my mtn bike (rigid) and used it as a commuter bike for 8 years before I actually tried mtn biking. That started my craze to get a better bike and go faster and do more interesting things.

Road bike shopping depressed me for a while because I have fit issues (super short legs--apparently--and a long torso). Thank heaven for the compact frame bike! I'm so glad Specialized makes one in steel too!

This year, I organized a casual biking group composed of mostly people at work on hybrids/mtn bikes, biking easy trails near the Key Bridge in D.C. and a couple of long rides on the W & OD trail. I also biked the BellePlain Fall Century in New Jersey earlier this month (but it killed me--i'm such a newbie at the road bike thing!).

I work at a non-profit called NatureServe (well, i'd give you the link, but i suspect i'm not supposed to do that here), and have mostly done application technical support , engineering and programming. [and if you're a decent java programmer with a heart for conservation, apply for our open job position!!]

But lest anyone think I'm a geek (well, I am, but nevertheless), I graduated with an Engish Major and had some idea that I was going to make my riches through fiction writing. (i take life's bumps as they come...).

Love really good i.p.a. (Anderson Valley Hoppin Ott I.P.A.--mmmm yummy).

Greetings to all. I hope I didn't overdo it on the bio.....

- brightgarden

hey, i enjoyed it!
so do you think you would consider hiring a java programmer from australia??:D

hi, im from perth, western australia.
I began getting serious about my bikes around 18 and then 2 years later became a bike courier. I have done that for 8 years while studying for an array of degrees and have only recently "retired" from the best damn job in the whole world!. Getting paid to ride your bike in one of the best climates in the world!. do it before you get to old...
Unfortunately my body couldnt keep up with the workload and i am now working as a natural resource management officer for the local environmental authority. I have done some software development in the past as well.
I have competed in a couple of australian courier championships (17th and 6th respectively) and my proudest moment was finishing 18th out of 800 in the world courier champs in budapest a couple of years ago. Another australian won so it was worth the trip!
Once i finished couriering i begun some "serious" training and started racing about a month ago, getting 2 3rd's and a 2nd in my local crits and i plan to travel to france or holland in 2005 to race an amatuer season over there. If anyone would like to go and share a dream of mine or has any info on it give us a yell.

I currently ride a cinelli proxima and a bianchi superlite and LOVE italian steel.

Hi! I live in Sacramento, CA and have recently started up my "training" for road and MTB races in '04 throughout the Southwest US. I say "training" because it's hardly been that as I tirelessly try to recover from a devastating injury -- tore my quad in a triathlon in late 2001. It took 20 months to heal and now I'm back on the bike more-or-less full-time. I road ride 2-3 times during the week for 1-2 hours and MTB 1-2 times during the week for 1-2 hours. On weekends I do a longer road ride and usually a more technical MTB ride. Hopefully, I'll be pain free one of these days and I can start ramping up my training.

I'm an environmental consultant in Sacramento and work primarily outdoors in the Sierras 9 months a year on hydro-relicensing projects.

Anyone in the Sacramento area looking for a training/riding partner? let me know.

i'm in london uk - do most of my cycling around london but occasionally get out of town at the weekend and sometimes do longer trips - most recently from london to paris and back.

Im from Atlanta, Georgia and currently Im getting myself in shape to ride again after a 3 year layoff..]

I am from 'bama. I coach soccer & basketball. I used to ride alot, but pollen induced asthsma keeps me in the gym in spring and fall. My main reason for posting is totally off topic: I'm sure someone on this thread is from Toronto. Was there REALLY a Rock, paper, scissors tournament in your fair city this past weekend? I read about it in our fish wrapper and thought it was an elaborate hoax.

Originally posted by halfmutt
I am from 'bama. I coach soccer & basketball. I used to ride alot, but pollen induced asthsma keeps me in the gym in spring and fall. My main reason for posting is totally off topic: I'm sure someone on this thread is from Toronto. Was there REALLY a Rock, paper, scissors tournament in your fair city this past weekend? I read about it in our fish wrapper and thought it was an elaborate hoax.

Hello:

I am from Canada's rudest city. Yes it took place. Was put on to boost our economy after the SARS scare. Am sure it brought it hundreds of $$.....

Memph

Originally posted by halfmutt
Was there REALLY a Rock, paper, scissors tournament in your fair city this past weekend?

i wish i'd known. i rule at rock, paper, scissors! i have this possibly illegal move where you can unfold a rock into paper at the last second. highly effective. ;)

Originally posted by jacobxray
i wish i'd known. i rule at rock, paper, scissors! i have this possibly illegal move where you can unfold a rock into paper at the last second. highly effective. ;)

Greetings all.
IM very new to cycling. I live in Fontana California, and Ive always done some sort of excercise, usually weight lifting. but have always enjoyed cycling, so wanna see if I can get really into it. I currently work for Verizon, although come 11/21. my 13 year tenure with Verizon will be over....as they are having major cutbacks. Life goes on.....and hopefully major cycling opportunities arise!!!:p

Originally posted by jacobxray

Sounds highly illegal to me. My 6 year old unveiled what he calls the crusher, which apparently tops everything, except another crusher of course. I am not sure this move would stand up in tournament competition of course. :D

Originally posted by larry barr
Sounds highly illegal to me. My 6 year old unveiled what he calls the crusher, which apparently tops everything, except another crusher of course. I am not sure this move would stand up in tournament competition of course. :D

ahh, the crusher, a deadly move for sure. it's splitting the world of paper, stone, scissors. i am all for innovation.

I am from the north of scotland and am new too cycling just bought specialized allez comp 2003 hope I made a good choice.

Me? Just a little lost boy in Santa Fe, NM... I'm 23 and work for an architecture firm. In the down time I'm a XC/DH/Urban rider... commute to work on a singlespeed roadbike. Spend time @ the gym, competitive martial artist...

I think that's really about it.

ciao.
-jesse.
http://www.graphically-impaired.com

Hi, I am 41, from North Carolina. I manage a fitness center. I started riding last year. I have always been in the fitness industry, doing everything from teaching aerobics to weightlifting. I have preferred to weightlift for 24 years but once I discovered biking I got hooked! = D

Originally posted by e-male
Yes, Vo2, I am certainly going to try. I did it last year, although I did not do much training. I have the Argus 3 times. However, I am not yet in the sub-3 category.

What about you? Any sparkling tips, drugs ;) (hehehe), boosters etc?

I'm from Brackley in the UK. Now off season so last week I rode 500 miles in Northern Thailand. I race in the season - mainly time trials and some crits. Trying the indoor track later this month and also doing some roller racing. I'm a veteran and have been riding for ...ty years! CEO of a publishing company.

I am from LA. The city. Actually, I live on the periphery of LA, in the NorthEast foothill region. Very pleasant. Very diverse.

Right now, I am headed out da door to do a training ride around the RoseBowl.

In my working life I teach elem school.
During my funky time I plan for Burning Man and "other such" events...

M

Originally posted by milly valdes
I am from LA. The city. Actually, I live on the periphery of LA, in the NorthEast foothill region. Very pleasant. Very diverse.

Right now, I am headed out da door to do a training ride around the RoseBowl.

In my working life I teach elem school.
During my funky time I plan for Burning Man and "other such" events...

M
Here on the eAst Coast, its 42 and rainy, so Im
jealous millie. It was in the high 70s here last week and got
in some nice comfortable miles.

always heard burning man was pretty wild
Im a lawyer out here

Originally posted by e-male
Yes, Vo2, I am certainly going to try. I did it last year, although I did not do much training. I have the Argus 3 times. However, I am not yet in the sub-3 category.

What about you? Any sparkling tips, drugs ;) (hehehe), boosters etc?