Where are you from,what do you do?

hello everybody, just discovered this amazing site and gobsmacked that I haven't discovered it before. Maybe this is cos I'm usually out and around on my bike.

I'm a Yorkshire lass, pretty and fit with a huge huge passion for the outdoors, primarily mountain biking with the added extras of camping, travelling and playing.

Hello

lasombra said:
Testing...Midwife...really??
Yes, not many cycling midwives I guess. I have just signed on to ride a cross country charity ride "Ride for World Health" spring of 2008. SanDiego CA to NewJersey, I will be taking a 6 week sabaticle from catching babies. www.rideforworldhealth.org/ride Check out the web site :D

fulton illinois chiming in!
coming back into the sport after a long vacation. thought id start with a cannondale f-5 this time around.

Hi I'm from Iowa and I'm 15. Cycling isn't much of a sport in my state. There is a small percentage of people that cycle in Iowa and I'm one of them. I have been riding my bike which is a Scott speedster 60 for about 3 months now. I have always been interested in cycling since i was about 9. Lance Armstrong inspired me to start cycling and I couldn't get enough of it. I'm trying to be an all-rounder cyclist , but I find it hard to get to faster speeds and climb hills easy. I can sprint at about 15-20 mph and on the hills I have trouble knowing what gears to use and when exactly when I should use them. Also on hills what types of tecniques should I use to climb hills and sprint. I weigh about 150-155 pounds and I'm 5 ft 11 inches. What are some health tips and training tips that you have that can help me get better at what I'm trying to achieve. Thank you for anybody who gives me tips and helping me out with cycling.

Hi,

My name is Doug McMasters. I am serving as a pastor of a church in London, England.

I have recently returned to cycling after a five-year hiatus. Though tough and punctuated with regretful thoughts, I am enjoying being on the bike again.

Interestingly, I was an early member of this forum in the 90's, even before the days when it made a major server and software switch and had to ask for contributions to stay active. We all chipped in and kept the forum alive. I'm encouraged to see it still going.

drmcmasters said:
Hi,

My name is Doug McMasters. I am serving as a pastor of a church in London, England.

I have recently returned to cycling after a five-year hiatus. Though tough and punctuated with regretful thoughts, I am enjoying being on the bike again.

Interestingly, I was an early member of this forum in the 90's, even before the days when it made a major server and software switch and had to ask for contributions to stay active. We all chipped in and kept the forum alive. I'm encouraged to see it still going.

I"ll be in Richmond for the next two weeks. Are there any club rides you might recomend. My husband says it is nice to ride in Richmond Park but I would like to get out on the road with some local folks. :D

Hi mfp,

I wish I could help you with that. My return to cycling is so recent that I haven't gotten back to club rides yet (one day!). But your husband's advice is good. Richmond Park is a popular, beautiful place to ride. Google maps will show you the nice circut one can do there.

mfp said:
I"ll be in Richmond for the next two weeks. Are there any club rides you might recomend. My husband says it is nice to ride in Richmond Park but I would like to get out on the road with some local folks. :D

Hi all from Australia,

I'm from Burleigh Heads Qld and have just bought an Electric Bike (!!)

As I'm now 60, I think I maybe should be allowed to have one of these...;)

Has anyone else got such an animal and just for curiosity, how noisy are they supposed to be?

Mine makes a high pitched whine that can easily be heard by pedestrians as I approach.
I thought they'd be quieter, maybe as quiet as those electric wheelchair thingys that one see's in supermarkets and driving about the footpaths.

Also battery life is nowhere near 30-50kms. More like 5 to 8 kms!

Love to hear about all this..maybe mine is faulty??

I am from Sydney and my father and I are steel bicycles frame builders and repair frames too. We can do full rebuilds and all types of lug work.We are re-opening our store and workshop in Riverwood NSW on the 1st September 2007.
Any types of questions or request's for steel frames contact us.:)

i'm from sydney. i'm an IT nerd (easiest way to describe myself) who's gotten into cycling over the past few months for fitness & fun

Wow. Lots of folks from Australia here!
I'm from southern New England in the US.
Got into biking (ha! me???) more seriously than just leisure about 4 months ago.
Working my way forward... I am hooked. I'm so hooked that I'll ride even past when my toosh starts hurting.

Hello,
I live in Mount Helena, close to Perth (Western Australia), but presently I am living in Bahrain for a couple of years.
I have been cycling since, since, well, as long as I can remember.
I have 2 bikes, one for the road and a mountain bike. The roadbike is a bit of a hodgepodge: titanium frame, mixture of Shimano 600 and Ultegra, plus various other bits and pieces.
I cycle around 0 kilometers per day at the moment: it is summer over here (45 degrees and all that) and my bike is now mounted on one of those indoor trainer stands (jeez, they really are frustrating: you work yourself in a sweat and you don't move at all).
My mountain bike is a simple Giant, good enough for the bridle track in the Perth Hills, and is presently resting until I come back (next year).

Hi!

I'm Jeff. Just registered. Live in Wood River Illinois, a suburb of St. Louis on the Metro-East side of that great metropolis. I'm a Custom Protection Officer (a security officer, not someone in Customs) for a large security agency. I live in an area which has really built-up it's bicycle trails and other infrastructure for bikes--Madison County, where I live, has 85-plus miles of scenic trails, and St. Louis has gobs more. Only just got back into bike riding, initially as an alternative means of commuting to work as well as for fitness. I probably ride 6-10 miles every day, not really long rides but a start towards better health.

My bikes--I have three--are all department-store brands but they work and they're mine and I'll 'upgrade' as time goes on and I feel the need. Two of the bikes were actually 'cheapies' anyhow--one cost me $3.50 at a thrift shop, the other cost me $20.00. (Though to be honest, I spend quite a bit more than I should have on the $20.00 bike, which I bought mostly disassembled, and which I paid a bike shop to get into running order. Oddly enough, the $3.50 bike only needed air in the tires, a nut on the front fork, and a little lube and it has become my primary fitness cycle).

My third bike is a touring cycle I bought new from Target several years ago and allowed to rust and rot for awhile. I had some spare cash, so I had all three bikes put into running order and alternate the bikes as I feel like and/or as my purposes suit me. The touring bike is outfitted for a small bike trailer which I bought at the same time I got the bike; I haven't fixed the trailer up yet but plan to do so as my family and I make plans for bicycling adventures.

Hope this is a good intro. See everyone on the forums!

Hi, I live in downtown Chicago. It's a pretty bike friendly city (by US standards) and I like it here a lot. I grew up in Germany and moved to the States when I was in High School about 10 years ago. Growing up, I used to ride everywhere every day. Here, I'm just starting to get back into cycling now since I've moved to Chicago a few months ago.....it's definitely completely different here than in Europe.
I have a vintage road bike that was custom built to my dad's measurements about 20 years ago. Will probably get myself a newer one soon, once I have the cash saved up.

Hi, I'm Sean. A graphic designer at a sign shop. 23 yrs old. I have recently gotten into cycling for fitness and overall health. I commute to work everyday about 8 miles each way. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico which is a pretty bike friendly place. I'm new here so lets be friends.

I sell solar panels and cycle, run and swim. Oh, and I just completed a 1/2 Ironman this past weekend and increased my cycling speed almost 1 mph for 56 miles, from last year's pace.

bikemistress said:
I sell solar panels and cycle, run and swim. Oh, and I just completed a 1/2 Ironman this past weekend and increased my cycling speed almost 1 mph for 56 miles, from last year's pace.
Cool, congratulations on your speed.