Where are you from,what do you do?

I'm from Orem, Utah (40 miles south of Salt Lake City). Back in March I became disgusted with myself and determined to lose "50 by 50" (50 pounds by my 50th birthday this January). I was 6'3" and 290 lbs.

I started going to the gym and all, but it really took off when I tried to ride my old mountain bike to the top of our street (about 200 yds). I couldn't do it. I loved cycling as a kid and now I was REALLY disgusted, so I decided to fix up the MTB and ride it out and around.

About the same time I came into a little windfall and decided to get a new bike: I got a Giant FCR2 (hybrid bike: mostly a road bike with MTB style handlebars). I started riding it like a maniac. I felt like a kid again. After a couple of months I set a goal to do the local Century (Utah Lake ULCER - 111 miles) in August. I also set a goal to go from 290 to 235 (figuring the extra weight loss would help the century). I studied stuff on the web and put together a good training program. Bout a computer, Bought the spandex, bought the cleats. All kinds of other stuff too. Decided I'd be lucky if I could do the century with an average speed of 15.

Well, the bottom line: I lost all the weight and hit 235 just in time for the event. I finished the century with an average 17.2 MPH (I know that's not great for most of you...but I was pretty pleased just to finish!).

Cycling has changed my life - the best mid-life crisis I could have hoped for! Training for the century was an incredible experience (as much - if not more - fun that doing the ride). My wife is TOTALLY supportive of all the time I'm gone and loves her new skinnier, fitter husband (I'm now 229 and still dropping).

Just a note: Utah is the most incredible place to ride! As great for cycling as it is for skiing. Plenty of mountains, canyons, small towns and farmland that are just perfect for long rides. It would be shame to live here and not get out on a bike.

My only regret is now I wish I'd bought a more hardcore road bike. At the same time, though, I have this really sick affection for my FCR2. It's weird how you become so attuned to how a bike feels. After all the hours and miles it becomes an extension of yourself.

Anyway...wow...that's a REALLY long post. Sorry! It's great to have found this forum, though. I've run into a lot of cyclists since taking up the sport and been pretty impressed.

- Dennis

aerobar, my MAN! It's good to hear from another mid-life crisis rider, although mine is occuring in my mid sixties. If that's mid-life for me, I'll make it into the Guiness Book of World Records!

As far as I'm concerned, your performance in the ULCER was superb. I have friends in SLC and would love to ride with you in Utah one of these days. Send me a private message on this web site, and I'll get back atcha with my contact info.

Good on ya!

Hi Folks

New on board here, I live in Port Elizabeth, on the East Coast of South Africa, been riding reasonably competitively for 12 years now.

Looking forward to participating where I can.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa

Hello!
I'm an old fart from The Left Coast (Cal-Oregon) but I've been living in Maryland for the last 40 years or so. When I was paid to work I did electronics (instrumentation) and communications (networking) stuff.
I ride a recumbent (easier on my prostate). :rolleyes:
I didn't ride during the Summer but I'm getting back on the EZ Sport now.
I am retired, and pretty beat up health-wise, but I love to ride. Goes back to my days delivering papers via bike (post WWII). I had a Schwinn then; a fifty pound spring fork marvel.
It's nice to be here . . . :)

Bill

Hi everyone,

I'm in Winston Salem NC and been a fan of the tour de france for a few years and finally started riding regular daily short rides on my trek hybrid (yep I got it during the lance years). I'm riding about 6-7 miles 5-6 x a week and my short and mid-term goals are about losing weight (205 to 195 to 180lbs) and increasing my general fitness (just turned that corner to 40 road eek). Nothing to serious yet but I am having a good time and eventually hope to do longer weekend rides or even a trail in the next year. You'll probably see me in the training forums as I look for newbie tips on cadence without computers, training cycles and such. I am even thinking about getting a road bike. Great to have this place and see you all soon.

Mike (DNAtsol)

I am from pennsylvania and I'm looking to get into bicycle camping and possible touring.

Hi everyone, Im from Mexico City and Im looking for a Mongoose mgx D50 (silver), though is not a very good bike but since I bought it in cotsco almost 10 years ago it's no longer available in mexico, if you have one and want to sell it please contact me to negotiate, shipping is not a problem. thanks

hi guys

im from gold coast australia. used to ride MTB but now got a road bike which i love. not the fittest bloke around maybe the biggest ha. see you guys out there

dan

hey

i'm from the leigh valley, pennsylvania. i ride a cannondale caad3 team seaco. i enjoy climbing.

john

Newbie from the northern outskirts of Dallas, TX.

I have a Mongoose bike of some sort. I guess it would be classified as a mountain bike. We bought it for our son a few years back. He inherited a Trek bike of some sort from my in-laws so I adopted his Mongoose. (You can tell I know a lot about bikes eh?)

Anyway. I use to play soccer (badly) for exercise. Back surgery and ankle issues put an end to that. So 40 pounds later I adopted my son's old bike. in an attempt to find some sort of exercise I could enjoy and stick with. I have been riding off and on about 18 months. I ride to work on occasion and a weekend trek around town now and then. Most rides have been in the range of 10-15 miles. Though recently I have been going out with my wife a couple times a week after work. She is just starting out and can manage < 5 miles at this point.

It is satisfying when I get off the bike after a good ride but I am still not to the point that I look forward to the next ride. :rolleyes:

Santa Cruz, California. I started riding because I love 2 wheelers, but I have had too many bad experiences motorcycles. Now I can't live without it. I work for a tech company in the Valley and do my riding in the cold, Santa Cruz mornings. My current LTG is to get into shape for the SF --> LA AIDS ride in June.

Live in Ireland (Galway, west coast) and ride a Piranello F4:13 carbon fibre road bike. Moving to Scotland to work in October 07. Job: hospital based orthodontist (wirebender extraordinaire!)

Im a top-secret spy from dublin, ireland. i cant tell you much more except i like bikes, trains, planes and anything really on wheels.

oh and i like taking the odd photo too, for spy purposes of course.

im also actually spyderman whehehe :D

HI

I'm from country Victoria ('bout 50ks SW of Geelong) but spend a lot of time in Melbourne as well. I am currently doing a Music degree at Adelaide Uni so therefore I lie in Adelaide during term times.