Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and indeed biking itself. I'm currently a student at Johns Hopkins University. I "rediscovered" biking last April, and have been an avid biker ever since!

New here! After a ton of research finally decided to get into cycling. Looking forward to putting some miles on the new set of wheels.

Rob

Hello. I'm a ghost from cycling past. I used to cover racing in the United States. I'm publishing online memoirs of my early days as a cycling journalist, back when riders like Armstrong, Hincapie, Julich, Rodriguez, Demet and others were, like me, just getting started. And back when covering cycling was real grassroots, guerrilla journalism.

My memoirs are free for anyone to read. I figured they might be interesting to folks on these newsgroups because, in writing them, I came to understand how cycling saved my soul.

While I haven't posted anything in years, these newsgroups have remained close to my heart. Anytime I felt my ego getting a little too big for my own good, I could do a search (when it was working) and see a rant from years ago ('96, I believe) calling me a 100-percent certified a--hole.

Thanks for keeping me grounded.

John Rezell,
aka,
Raz
www.eugenemeraz.com

Hello there fellow bikers! I'm from Asustralia/ Sydney. I'm not so much of an avid cyclist myself yet and must also admit that i've never ridden a road bike, i'm new to this whole thing. i was a keen mountain biker but there isn't any good tracks around my area so over time lost interest of the whole moutain biking concept and after reading Lance Armstrongs biobraphy, suddenly fell inlove with the road cycling concept.

johnnieraz said:
Hello. I'm a ghost from cycling past. I used to cover racing in the United States. I'm publishing online memoirs of my early days as a cycling journalist, back when riders like Armstrong, Hincapie, Julich, Rodriguez, Demet and others were, like me, just getting started. And back when covering cycling was real grassroots, guerrilla journalism.

My memoirs are free for anyone to read. I figured they might be interesting to folks on these newsgroups because, in writing them, I came to understand how cycling saved my soul.

While I haven't posted anything in years, these newsgroups have remained close to my heart. Anytime I felt my ego getting a little too big for my own good, I could do a search (when it was working) and see a rant from years ago ('96, I believe) calling me a 100-percent certified a--hole.

Thanks for keeping me grounded.

John Rezell,
aka,
Raz
www.eugenemeraz.com
Hi! i dont know where to start and, after reading your post, am absolutely awestruck. i'm new to this whole thing, and seeing as you "used to work" in the particular field that i'm interested in, thought to myself perhaps you could give me some pointers and tell me some things that could benefit me for future riding? I'd really appreciate it if you'd send me back a post. even if its just to say, "look kid, you dont know anything so stop wasting my time and ********." cheers! oh yeah, i have no idea of how this site works so my name is phil aka "treaker."

Hi I'm Jerry! I'm from Aurora Ontario,Canada.I drive bus for Toronto transit.I've started cycling and enjoy it very much.I hope to make many friends while learning to be a better cyclist.

Hey hey, I'm a kiwi stranded in London, counting down the days until I go on my first (long distance) tour.
It will be on a recumbent, & I'm plannng to circuit the UK & Ireland. Am I crazy?

Happy cycling everyone.
Cheers
Nathan

lomuland said:
Hey hey, I'm a kiwi stranded in London, counting down the days until I go on my first (long distance) tour.
It will be on a recumbent, & I'm plannng to circuit the UK & Ireland. Am I crazy?

Happy cycling everyone.
Cheers
Nathan
what made you choose a recumbent bike? how long do you think it will take you?how many km. do you figure on riding each day? good luck!

jerry dool said:
what made you choose a recumbent bike? how long do you think it will take you?how many km. do you figure on riding each day? good luck!
thanks man. Well I've painstakingly measured the route, it comes to approximately 11,600kms! I expect I will hardly manage 50kms per day for at least the first week, but once I get fit should easily manage 100+.

As for recumbents, well I was inspired by a book called Off the Rails, and they just sounded perfect in theory. I've since ridden one & had my best experience on a bicycle ever.

Maybe I will cycle my way over to Canada (not literally!)some day!

Guest said:
:) Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)
charlotte, nc

playing in the city traffic !

Cantonment, Florida (extreme northwest Florida, @ the Alabama state line)
Civil/Quality Engineer for a general contractor, responsible for Quality Control Programs on U.S. Navy construction projects.

Hi. I'm a newbie so be gentle with me! ;) I live in Southern England and am a housewife (if that's the right way of putting it!) I'm thinking of doing a small, local race in July and as a cycling virgin, am not sure about training programmes etc. I'm starting in the gym on the exercise bike and intend braving the outdoors when it's a bit warmer, but need some tips from anyone who can help. The race is 15 miles and a "bit hilly" but that's all I know at the moment. Can you help?:confused:

Jake here

I'm from Bucks County PA

I teach high school & middle school (also coach wrestling)

Picked up a bike again about a year ago. It's a mountain bike so Im looking for a "cruising bike".

Later

I live in sw wisconsin, I am curently semi-retired having worked in health care for 34 years. I currently ride an older c-dale(1990) but have just picked up a Dean "el Diente" titanium frameset with an OuzoPro fork and hope to have it built up by spring.

Fali said:
Hi. I'm a newbie so be gentle with me! ;) I live in Southern England and am a housewife (if that's the right way of putting it!) I'm thinking of doing a small, local race in July and as a cycling virgin, am not sure about training programmes etc. I'm starting in the gym on the exercise bike and intend braving the outdoors when it's a bit warmer, but need some tips from anyone who can help. The race is 15 miles and a "bit hilly" but that's all I know at the moment. Can you help?:confused:
I'm fairly new too!the gym is good to build leg strength[squats] I have a recumbent excerise bike ,but found that it didn't help me very much[ different muscles used] This January I bought a trainer to hook on to my road bike and a few spinnerval dvds.I ride up to 8hrs. a week now 500km.for the month .work on your abs so that you have a strong core section .This is what's working for me.good luck ,maybe some of the other peoplehave better advice.jerry

Im from Stamesa, Manila Philippines. I running my own business which is providing professional lights & sounds services. I have Kona mountain bike. I also play airsoft and my team is Broken Arrows which specialize in Swat tactical strategies. :cool:

I am Grant from Western Australia and its been half an hour since by last drink,oops wrong forum
I am Grant and I have taken up cycling to loose weight, also, its relly difficult not to spill a pint on a road bike so I dont drink as much since taking up cycling, cheers

Hi people! I´m from Cordoba - Argentina, an excellent place for mountain biking. I´m starting with a new brand of gear for outdoor activities. I´m glad to join this community and hope I can add content to it. Bye and see you soon