Where are you from,what do you do?

Hi I'm Cathal from Donegal Ireland and I have just registered
I am a photographer and have just got into cycling so I hope I can get lots of advice on the forum

Cathal

Never really introduced myself so here goes....

Brent
Jacksonville Florida
Meatcutter

I cycled alot in my youth (13-16) but dropped out of it , recently had a problem with the family car so to save wear and tear on it I started commuting the 4 miles to work on my old Trek 820....That was June 1st 2009 and so far ive logged over 500 miles..Yesterday to take my girls to the Zoo was the first ive driven a car in over two months..

MapMyRide.com | cfxmarauder's Profile and Cycling Routes in Jacksonville, Florida

Hello. I am originally from California USA but moved to Oregon three years ago to be closer to family. I have been known for decades as "The Bicycling Guitarist" because I ride a Schwinn ten-speed bicycle while simultaneously playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar. I've done this about twenty-five thousand miles since the early 1980s.

BicyclingGuitar said:
Hello. I am originally from California USA but moved to Oregon three years ago to be closer to family. I have been known for decades as "The Bicycling Guitarist" because I ride a Schwinn ten-speed bicycle while simultaneously playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar. I've done this about twenty-five thousand miles since the early 1980s.

Do you ride your bike no-handed while playing? Do you have an amp?

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Cully_J said:

Cullen
Appleton, WI

CFX Marauder said:
Never really introduced myself so here goes....

Brent
Jacksonville Florida
Meatcutter

I cycled alot in my youth (13-16) but dropped out of it , recently had a problem with the family car so to save wear and tear on it I started commuting the 4 miles to work on my old Trek 820....That was June 1st 2009 and so far ive logged over 500 miles..Yesterday to take my girls to the Zoo was the first ive driven a car in over two months..

MapMyRide.com | cfxmarauder's Profile and Cycling Routes in Jacksonville, Florida

It sounds like you use your bike as your main mode of transportation. That's terrific!

Are the girls old enough to do some utilitarian bicycling with you?

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Cully_J said:

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Hi Cullen. Yes, I ride no-handed. How else could I play the guitar while riding? I've done this more than twenty-five THOUSAND miles since the early 1980s, all on the same Schwinn ten-speed. I have a Pignose battery-powered amplifier that I sometimes mount on the rack over the rear wheel.

BicyclingGuitar said:
Hi Cullen. Yes, I ride no-handed. How else could I play the guitar while riding? I've done this more than twenty-five THOUSAND miles since the early 1980s, all on the same Schwinn ten-speed. I have a Pignose battery-powered amplifier that I sometimes mount on the rack over the rear wheel.
I thought that, maybe, you might be steering with one hand while making chords with the other. And strumming with your tongue?

Hey, it's a totally ridiculous possibility!

I'm from San Jose California, and I commute 5 miles to work and 5 miles home every day. I am a lowly sales associate at OfficeMax, and I hate my job, but I kinda enjoy the ride there. I hate fighting for my road rights with vehicles, in fact, I gotta say, it's quickly becoming my biggest pet peeve.
Uhmmmmmm...I'm gonna go back to school soon to become a park ranger.
My names Audrey....
Hi :D

Hello Audrey,

It's nice to have a bicycle commute to balance out the hatred for your job. Unfortunately, traffic is a major pet peeve for most of us.

What kind of classes does one have to take to be a park ranger?

Good luck on your education. Do you commute to school too?

Well, I'm not going to school again, yet. But yes, I will be riding my bike there as well, and it will probably be over 10 miles for that.
Classes for being a park ranger generally consist of the study of low-impact camping, backpacking, wilderness conservation, safety/emergency survival-ish stuff, and history of natural resources and uses of them. Lucky for me, I think I'll be able to skip a lot of the more basic classes because I already underwent half a year of low impact wilderness camping in high-desert Utah.
There's a school in the area where I live with all the classes specifically to get certified for the job. I'm also lucky enough to have most of my GE done since I started my college education my junior year of high school.
What has everyone else been doing to deal with the traffic issues?

Hagalaz said:
Well, I'm not going to school again, yet. But yes, I will be riding my bike there as well, and it will probably be over 10 miles for that.
Classes for being a park ranger generally consist of the study of low-impact camping, backpacking, wilderness conservation, safety/emergency survival-ish stuff, and history of natural resources and uses of them. Lucky for me, I think I'll be able to skip a lot of the more basic classes because I already underwent half a year of low impact wilderness camping in high-desert Utah.
There's a school in the area where I live with all the classes specifically to get certified for the job. I'm also lucky enough to have most of my GE done since I started my college education my junior year of high school.
What has everyone else been doing to deal with the traffic issues?

Enjoy the commute once school starts. I commute 17 miles to school/work. It's a great way to warm the brain up in the morning and to de-stress or problem solve on the way home.

What do I do to deal with traffic issues? I pay attention to my surrouondings and avoid getting emotionally invested in bad roadway encounters.

alienator said:
Enjoy the commute once school starts. I commute 17 miles to school/work. It's a great way to warm the brain up in the morning and to de-stress or problem solve on the way home.

What do I do to deal with traffic issues? I pay attention to my surrouondings and avoid getting emotionally invested in bad roadway encounters.

In the spring of 1994 I attended Solano Community College near my hometown of Fairfield, California. I would ride my bicycle while playing guitar ten miles against the wind to classes in the morning, then by the time classes were over the wind had shifted and I had to ride my bicycle playing guitar ten miles home against the wind. It was like going uphill both ways. Fairfield is windy a lot, which is why they built Travis Air Force Base right next to it.

Sitting straight up with a guitar I feel the wind more, but also find it easier to look around to keep track of my surroundings for safety.

Hi, I'm Ronan from Dublin, Ireland. I'm a designer and I am to be found in Wicklow climbing everything I can at the weekend with a red face and puffed out cheeks :mad:

Hi, Just registered because I re-discovered my bike, crumbling into obsolescence in the shed and decided to see how it felt after all this time. The answer, folks, is very, very good. Anyway, I'm in Shropshire, I'm called Sarah and I work in the civil service. Cheers

Hey im Chris from Liverpool i have been cycling for about a 15 months, i only found cycling after a ankle injury playing football which has never got better, but i think these things happen for a reason because i discovered cycling an i love it. I have bulit myself up from riding round the park to 100k rides. My job is strangley like Sarah a cival servant so i only really get out on the weekend.

Hello
My name is Rodrigo, im from Northern Virginia. I'm just getting into cycling. I want to start out on a mountain bike, as exercise because I want to get fit and healthy. Im 19 and 215lbs..not cool lol. Eventually I would like to get into road bikes, and racing maybe. :) Oh, I dont have a job...which is a problem :(

rodrigooooooob. said:
Hello
My name is Rodrigo, im from Northern Virginia. I'm just getting into cycling. I want to start out on a mountain bike, as exercise because I want to get fit and healthy. Im 19 and 215lbs..not cool lol. Eventually I would like to get into road bikes, and racing maybe. :) Oh, I dont have a job...which is a problem :(

You should look into making yourself a fixed geared bicycle. You can usually find really nice bikes that, for some reason, are inexpensive, and convert these bikes to fixed gear.

Also, riding fixies is a good way to get fit!

Make sure you equip with, at least, one brake...

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Hello everyone,
I am from Europe side of Istanbul, Turkey. I am a roadie.
My bike is Cannondale CAAD8, 2006.
I work as a software developer.