Where can I download a good training diary??

CraigUK

Apr 26, 2005
Hi,

I'm nearly 37 and am returning to cycling after nearly 18 years of rest :rolleyes: I do run occasionally and do a fair amount of hill walking so I do have a reasonable level of fitness. What I'm looking for is a training diary or training guide/regime to follow to get me to a good level of bike fitness in a reasonably short time period. My ambition is to get back into time trials and eventually road racing, just like I did 20 years ago :D If anyone can provide any weblinks or info as to where I can find such a thing It would be greatly appreciated.

CraigUK said:
Hi,

I'm nearly 37 and am returning to cycling after nearly 18 years of rest :rolleyes: I do run occasionally and do a fair amount of hill walking so I do have a reasonable level of fitness. What I'm looking for is a training diary or training guide/regime to follow to get me to a good level of bike fitness in a reasonably short time period. My ambition is to get back into time trials and eventually road racing, just like I did 20 years ago :D If anyone can provide any weblinks or info as to where I can find such a thing It would be greatly appreciated.

i recommed Crosstrak training diary, see www.crosstrak.com or http://www.crosstrak.com/?REFID=23

The crosstrak looks interesting. I might try that next year (don't want to switch mid-year)

I just used excel and patterned my spreadsheet after Joe Friel's examples in his book Mountain Biker's Training Bible. I think there is a road version of the book and I assume it has the same info. If you know excel (or any speadsheet program) this might be an alternative.

Thanks alot for the response guys, some very interesting stuff posted although not exactly what I'm looking for which is my fault for not being too specific. What I really wanted rather than a method of logging my training was a recommended training regime to follow over a period of time to achieve full fitness. For example a week by week guide of the type and amount of training needed to gradually improve fitness and skill to a high level. I am well aware that it is easy to overdo things and train too much early on which can have a negative outcome. If anyone knows where I can find this please post a link, thanks.

CraigUK said:
Thanks alot for the response guys, some very interesting stuff posted although not exactly what I'm looking for which is my fault for not being too specific. What I really wanted rather than a method of logging my training was a recommended training regime to follow over a period of time to achieve full fitness. For example a week by week guide of the type and amount of training needed to gradually improve fitness and skill to a high level. I am well aware that it is easy to overdo things and train too much early on which can have a negative outcome. If anyone knows where I can find this please post a link, thanks.

Try our coaching options at www.cyclecoach.com plus a new coaching option to be announced here very shortly :)

ric

woodchuck said:
Once again I would recommend Joe Friel's book (The Cyclists Training Bible). I use the mountain bike version but I am sure the original (I assume road training) version is similar:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931382212/qid=1114870723/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4733662-5023942
I second this. I have the road training version, it's quite informative and will walk you through setting up a single or multi-peak annual training plan tailored around your goals should you choose to do it.

John

I also have "The Bible" and it is as advertised. However from my own experience of going too hard too soon I would hesitate to suggest somebody new (or just getting back in) to cycling follow the examples it gives too closely until they have more fitness.

886014 said:
I also have "The Bible" and it is as advertised. However from my own experience of going too hard too soon I would hesitate to suggest somebody new (or just getting back in) to cycling follow the examples it gives too closely until they have more fitness.

Is it possible to go too hard too soon? What is your experience? - Just
curious. Everyone seems to be in such a rush to develop speed, only to develop some more...

I know there are many here wiser than I in all this so hopefully they can correct me, however in my experience it is very possible to go too hard too soon.

From my understanding, training is a balance between effort on the bike and recovery off the bike. As one's fitness improves either greater effort on the bike can be tollerated for the same amount of rest, alternatively for the same effort shorter recovery is needed.

Not long after I began training seriously I also purchased a new bike and the combination of the 2 meant I was keen to spend a lot of time training. I basically went from 1-2 hours training per week to 10. The shock to my body was too much for my level of fitness and now I'm making a real effort to reduce the intensity and duration of my rides and also get quality rest. Doing so I feel much stronger and am certainly faster.

Just my experience, hope the pros will chip in and steer us down the right path.

robkit said:
Is it possible to go too hard too soon? What is your experience? - Just
curious. Everyone seems to be in such a rush to develop speed, only to develop some more...
I am in my second year of MTB racing and I am using the MTB Bible. There are some statements in it about reducing hours for recreational (sport level) racers and those over 40 (of which I am both). I just reduced my hours and I think it is working for me. Friel also talks about things you should avoid if you are in your first few years of training. The main thing I got out of it was a structured program that maximized my precious training time. It was also a great way to keep me focused so I did not drift off and sit in front of the tube each night and vegetate in the middle of the Winter. I would recommend the Bible but you have to read it from your perspective and ignore statements that are obviously directed at expert racers (that is, if you're not and expert).

Thanks for the posts, you've given me exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll go for the "The Cyclists Training Bible", and I'll try and check out the Lance Armstrong book next time I'm in town in a bookstore. Thanks again!!! :D