Where can I find advice and training tips for a solo 24 hour mtb race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Me

I'm thinking about trying one of the 24 hour mtb races this summer. I've done one as part of a 4 man
team, but that wasn't serious and it was a couple of lazy years ago.

Can anyone post some links to some sites or newsgroups that specifically deal with 24 hour
solo riding?

I'm looking for stories, tips, advice, equip, whatever!

Happy holidays!

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about trying one of the 24 hour mtb races this summer. I've done one as part of a 4
> man team, but that wasn't serious and it was a couple of lazy years ago.
>
> Can anyone post some links to some sites or newsgroups that specifically deal with 24 hour
> solo riding?
>
> I'm looking for stories, tips, advice, equip, whatever!

Dumbass -

1 word for the successful ultra racer:

methamphetamine

Merry Christmas and good luck in all your Fred enterprises.

In news:[email protected],
Me <[email protected]> scribbled:
>> I'm thinking about trying one of the 24 hour mtb races this summer. I've done one as part of a 4
>> man team, but that wasn't serious and it was a couple of lazy years ago.
>>
>> Can anyone post some links to some sites or newsgroups that specifically deal with 24 hour solo
>> riding?
>>
>> I'm looking for stories, tips, advice, equip, whatever!
>>
>> Happy holidays!

After sifting through the ******** replies...

Have you checked out the GrannyGear website? Take a look at
http://www.grannygear.com/Skull/index.php3

Trilife usually has some tips and such as well but their site is currently down (related threads on
this scattered throughout the ng).

Also, mtbr.com has an endurance race forum:
http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]^[email protected]

I'm in the same boat. I've done a number of 24 hour races in teams and this coming year I'm planning
on solo'ing them instead. I've done 12 hour races as solo and they are a total blast. Double the
pain? Excellent! ;) My goal is to be in shape but I have backup plans (teams) arranged in case I'm
not up to it.

Right now I'm racing cyclocross and it's just about the opposite of endurance racing.. last race of
the series I'm trying to do well in is this weekend. Then it's a few weeks off before endurance
training on the road. I've been reading Friel's training bible for training tips as well.

I've spoken with several people at races. One of the biggest issues that's usually mentioned is a
pit crew. With a team, a pit crew is not so vital... team mates take care of everything. But
racing solo, you may really need a pit crew to tool, cook, and track results/standings. My wife is
very supportive of the racing (she races a little herself) and has offered to pit for me - I'll
probably try to recruit a buddy as well. It's also been recommended to me to have 2 hydration
packs, both stuffed with identical equipment. Swap packs every other lap and have your pit crew
restock as needed.

Ah yeah - good times ahead.

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

Originally posted by Kurgan Gringion
"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about trying one of the 24 hour mtb races this summer. I've done one as part of a 4
> man team, but that wasn't serious and it was a couple of lazy years ago.
>
> Can anyone post some links to some sites or newsgroups that specifically deal with 24 hour
> solo riding?
>
> I'm looking for stories, tips, advice, equip, whatever!

Dumbass -

1 word for the successful ultra racer:

methamphetamine

Merry Christmas and good luck in all your Fred enterprises.

Stupid -
Everyone knows that modafinil is the way to go these days.

Seriously, though, r.b.r. is the last place to turn for real advice. Before posting a question like this, flyingcoyote, you should have read through the past messages to see how idiotic this forum really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.