Where Can I Find the Skinny on Exercise?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Martha Gallagher, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. I posted some time ago about having lipo. and my determination not to be
    one of the people who regain afterwards.

    I'm doing ok with that. I'm still at the weight I'd expect to be taking my
    presurgery weight and then subtracting the amount of fat removed, so I'm
    maintaining so far, which was my goal.

    In order to make sure I didn't regain, I have stepped up my exercise
    considerably. Because I couldn't do weights for a while (just getting back
    to it now) I started using the elliptical more.

    My problem is that while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm supposed to
    be doing w/ weight training, I don't really know too much about
    cardio/aerobic. My schedule so far is to do an hour on the elliptical at
    least 5 days a week for an hour, trying to keep my HR at or about what the
    little graph on the machine says is optimal for my age. As of last night,
    I'm up to an hour at a medium resistance level which the machine informed
    me burned ~700 calories (I'm sure that's inflated) and would have covered
    6.25 miles if I'd been going anywhere. I figure 6.25 miles/hour would
    probably work out to a slow jog if I were on the treadmill, but one of the
    nice things about the elliptical is that you easily can adjust your pace
    to keep up with a fast song and then slow down for a bit at other times.

    I'm sure just getting an hour's worth of exercise has to be generally
    beneficial, and it's nice to know I can keep it up for an hour, but I
    realize that there's probably a more targeted way of a. burning off any
    excess calories and b. improving my fitness level.

    Can anyone suggest good books or webpages on the subject? If someone would
    like to give me a reader's digest summary of what I should be doing, that
    would be most appreciated, certainly.

    Thanks,
    Martha

    --
    "ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
    Revek - ASDLC

    Tags:

  2. heartha

    heartha Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote"
    > My feeling is that the weight training might be enough to maintain, but

    then
    > I am prejudiced against cardio.

    why?

  3. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Bravo on maintaining, so far.

    My feeling is that the weight training might be enough to maintain, but then
    I am prejudiced against cardio.

    "Martha Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I posted some time ago about having lipo. and my determination not to be
    > one of the people who regain afterwards.
    >
    > I'm doing ok with that. I'm still at the weight I'd expect to be taking my
    > presurgery weight and then subtracting the amount of fat removed, so I'm
    > maintaining so far, which was my goal.
    >
    > In order to make sure I didn't regain, I have stepped up my exercise
    > considerably. Because I couldn't do weights for a while (just getting back
    > to it now) I started using the elliptical more.
    >
    > My problem is that while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm supposed to
    > be doing w/ weight training, I don't really know too much about
    > cardio/aerobic. My schedule so far is to do an hour on the elliptical at
    > least 5 days a week for an hour, trying to keep my HR at or about what the
    > little graph on the machine says is optimal for my age. As of last night,
    > I'm up to an hour at a medium resistance level which the machine informed
    > me burned ~700 calories (I'm sure that's inflated) and would have covered
    > 6.25 miles if I'd been going anywhere. I figure 6.25 miles/hour would
    > probably work out to a slow jog if I were on the treadmill, but one of the
    > nice things about the elliptical is that you easily can adjust your pace
    > to keep up with a fast song and then slow down for a bit at other times.
    >
    > I'm sure just getting an hour's worth of exercise has to be generally
    > beneficial, and it's nice to know I can keep it up for an hour, but I
    > realize that there's probably a more targeted way of a. burning off any
    > excess calories and b. improving my fitness level.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest good books or webpages on the subject? If someone would
    > like to give me a reader's digest summary of what I should be doing, that
    > would be most appreciated, certainly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Martha
    >

    > --
    > "ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
    > Revek - ASDLC

  4. MU

    MU Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:48:40 -0500, Martha Gallagher wrote:

    > If someone would
    > like to give me a reader's digest summary of what I should be doing, that
    > would be most appreciated, certainly.

    30-45 minutes, fast paced walking 5-7 times weekly will get you all the
    cardiorespiratory benefits you will need.

  5. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bravo on maintaining, so far.
    >
    > My feeling is that the weight training might be enough to maintain, but

    then
    > I am prejudiced against cardio.

    Is that because you lack energy and/or endurance due to low-carb? Or, some
    other reason?

    GG

    > "Martha Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    > > I posted some time ago about having lipo. and my determination not to be
    > > one of the people who regain afterwards.
    > >
    > > I'm doing ok with that. I'm still at the weight I'd expect to be taking

    my
    > > presurgery weight and then subtracting the amount of fat removed, so I'm
    > > maintaining so far, which was my goal.
    > >
    > > In order to make sure I didn't regain, I have stepped up my exercise
    > > considerably. Because I couldn't do weights for a while (just getting

    back
    > > to it now) I started using the elliptical more.
    > >
    > > My problem is that while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm supposed

    > > be doing w/ weight training, I don't really know too much about
    > > cardio/aerobic. My schedule so far is to do an hour on the elliptical at
    > > least 5 days a week for an hour, trying to keep my HR at or about what

    the
    > > little graph on the machine says is optimal for my age. As of last

    night,
    > > I'm up to an hour at a medium resistance level which the machine

    informed
    > > me burned ~700 calories (I'm sure that's inflated) and would have

    covered
    > > 6.25 miles if I'd been going anywhere. I figure 6.25 miles/hour would
    > > probably work out to a slow jog if I were on the treadmill, but one of

    the
    > > nice things about the elliptical is that you easily can adjust your pace
    > > to keep up with a fast song and then slow down for a bit at other times.
    > >
    > > I'm sure just getting an hour's worth of exercise has to be generally
    > > beneficial, and it's nice to know I can keep it up for an hour, but I
    > > realize that there's probably a more targeted way of a. burning off any
    > > excess calories and b. improving my fitness level.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest good books or webpages on the subject? If someone

    would
    > > like to give me a reader's digest summary of what I should be doing,

    that
    > > would be most appreciated, certainly.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Martha
    > >

    > > --
    > > "ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
    > > Revek - ASDLC

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    GaryG wrote:
    || "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    || news:[email protected]
    ||| Bravo on maintaining, so far.
    ||| My feeling is that the weight training might be enough to maintain,
    ||| but then I am prejudiced against cardio.
    || Is that because you lack energy and/or endurance due to low-carb?
    || Or, some other reason?

    Well, given that he used to be prejudiced against almost any form of
    exercise, he's actually making progress! perhas as he gets closer to the
    choosen goal he'll find that some cardio will allow him not to drop his
    calories much further.

  7. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > GaryG wrote:
    > || "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > || news:[email protected]
    > || Is that because you lack energy and/or endurance due to low-carb?
    > || Or, some other reason?
    >
    > Well, given that he used to be prejudiced against almost any form of
    > exercise, he's actually making progress! perhas as he gets closer to the
    > choosen goal he'll find that some cardio will allow him not to drop his
    > calories much further.

    Interesting...thanks for the background.

    I'm skeptical of all the folks who join their local gyms to lose weight as
    part of their New Year's Resolutions, because it's just too damned easy to
    overeat even when you're exercising. But, I also could not imagine a
    healthy lifestyle that doesn't include exercise. It helps with weight loss,
    and it just feels good too!

    GG

  8. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    "Martha Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    >I posted some time ago about having lipo. and my determination not to be
    > one of the people who regain afterwards.
    >
    > I'm doing ok with that. I'm still at the weight I'd expect to be taking my
    > presurgery weight and then subtracting the amount of fat removed, so I'm
    > maintaining so far, which was my goal.

    That's excellent news! Go Martha!

    > My problem is that while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm supposed to
    > be doing w/ weight training, I don't really know too much about
    > cardio/aerobic. My schedule so far is to do an hour on the elliptical at
    > least 5 days a week for an hour, trying to keep my HR at or about what the
    > little graph on the machine says is optimal for my age.

    I reckon that's just about optimal.

    Nicky.

    --
    HbA1c 10.5/6.4/<6 Weight 95/79/72