Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Where can I find Trek dropout hanger replacement?

Started by Digibike · · Last activity · 4 posts · 2,136 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
19 July 2005
Last activity
26 July 2005
Original author
Digibike
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,136
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. An evil stick jumped up and grabbed my derailleur today. Busted it bad. So, I pick up a replacement (Deore XT). I had a ton of trouble adjusting it, when I realize the dropout hanger is bent! I call a local shop and I'm told it will take 10 days to get a replacement. Anyone know where I can pick one up fast in SE WI or where I can order one quickly on the internets?

  2. Try derailleurhanger.com

    They will probably have it in stock but I'm not sure how long they would take to ship.

    However until you get your new hanger, it's probably worth having a go at straigtening your bent hanger. While you probably won't get it as straight as it should be, you will at least be able to get around until the new one arrives.

    See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/DAG.shtml

    For a temporary repair, I wouldn't worry about being as careful as the above site, but just use the derallieur as a guide. In my opinion if you can't get it exactly right, it's better to have it slightly bent out, so that the derallieur won't end up in the spokes.

  3. Cheesy said:

    Try derailleurhanger.com

    They will probably have it in stock but I'm not sure how long they would take to ship.

    However until you get your new hanger, it's probably worth having a go at straigtening your bent hanger. While you probably won't get it as straight as it should be, you will at least be able to get around until the new one arrives.

    See parktool.comDAG.shtml

    For a temporary repair, I wouldn't worry about being as careful as the above site, but just use the derallieur as a guide. In my opinion if you can't get it exactly right, it's better to have it slightly bent out, so that the derallieur won't end up in the spokes.

    Thanks for the links! After I discovered it was bent, I did a little straightening myself. It now works but some gears, particularly the middle ones are a bit noisey.

    I'll order a couple today!

    Thanks again,
    Digi

  4. I got a pair of hangers for my Trek Y bikes off ebay last week. Best to stock up on parts like this while they're still around. Looking for an alloy URT for my Y22 btw.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.