Where can I get a dynamo battery charger??

Mark Taylor

Guest
Does anyone know where (or even if!) I can get a battery charger that is
driven by a dynamo? I want to do some long distance cycling and wondered if
there was a product on the market that would charge my AA Nimh batteries
while I rode.

I know of solar chargers but with the lack of sun sometimes found in the UK
I wanted something more reliable.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:11:55 GMT, "Mark Taylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know where (or even if!) I can get a battery charger that is
>driven by a dynamo? I want to do some long distance cycling and wondered if
>there was a product on the market that would charge my AA Nimh batteries
>while I rode.
>
>I know of solar chargers but with the lack of sun sometimes found in the UK
>I wanted something more reliable.

See previous thread on this..

AFAIK no specific product exists for this. Homebrew is an option.

Protecting the battery from damage seems to be the most difficult
task.

Mark Taylor said the following on 07/02/2005 11:11:
> Does anyone know where (or even if!) I can get a battery charger that is
> driven by a dynamo? I want to do some long distance cycling and wondered if
> there was a product on the market that would charge my AA Nimh batteries
> while I rode.
>
> I know of solar chargers but with the lack of sun sometimes found in the UK
> I wanted something more reliable.

If you are up to the challange, there is the option of building one yourself. See
http://www.nscl.msu.edu/~daniel/sreg.htm

--
Ufuk YILDIRIM
yoruk at hotmail dot com

The icp iSun is a very good solar charger which I used for a continuous walk
of 57 days. It kept my GPS, Pocketpc, shaver, camera etc charged in cloudy
and sunny conditions.
I also have it fixed to my handlebar bag when on cycling tours.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk
news:[email protected]...

Mark Taylor wrote:
> Does anyone know where (or even if!) I can get a battery charger that is
> driven by a dynamo? I want to do some long distance cycling and wondered if
> there was a product on the market that would charge my AA Nimh batteries
> while I rode.

Given the drag, noise and tyre wear of even the best dynamos, I'd advise
against this.

One of the modern "backed up" lights should provide "the needed"
at junctions, and a dynamo used in traditional fashion
will work fine at all other times.

BugBear

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark Taylor wrote:
> > Does anyone know where (or even if!) I can get a battery charger that is
> > driven by a dynamo? I want to do some long distance cycling and wondered

if
> > there was a product on the market that would charge my AA Nimh batteries
> > while I rode.

> Given the drag, noise and tyre wear of even the best dynamos, I'd advise
> against this.

There's no noise or tyre wear from the best dynamos, and minimal drag. They
are of course built into the hub.

Here's one a friend made which nobody's mentioned yet. Unfortunately
home-brew though, which doesn't necessarily help you.

http://www.mark-ju.net/bike_ride/equipment/charger.htm

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:

> There's no noise or tyre wear from the best dynamos, and minimal drag. They
> are of course built into the hub.

These are normally termed a dynahub, not a dynamo, doubtless
much to Sturmey Archer's trademark departments ire.

I have 2 Sturmey's and a Shimano.

I also have som dyanmo's.

I have more than 1 pedal-powered vehicle :)

BugBear