Where can I get clamp on chainstay cable stops?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside of
    the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. "S. Anderson" <scott[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B
    >
    > Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside of
    > the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..

    a) I don't own a torch that I could melt brass with in order to braze it to the underside of the
    stay. All I have is a propaine torch that can be used to solder stuff. I don't think soldering
    the stop would be strong enough.
    b) The stop is all ready pretty rusted.
    c) I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum, so its pretty much DIY (ie., not outside help, execept
    for the repaint). Thanks,

    -Boyd S.

  4. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B

    .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch of used ones in a junk box at the last
    Velo Swap,but of course,that does you no good.

  5. Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B
    > >
    > > Since you're re-painting anyway, why not remove the current stop and re-braze on the underside
    > > of the stay? Or is brazing out of the question?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Scott..
    >
    > a) I don't own a torch that I could melt brass with in order to braze it to the underside of the
    > stay. All I have is a propaine torch that can be used to solder stuff. I don't think soldering
    > the stop would be strong enough.
    > b) The stop is all ready pretty rusted.
    > c) I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum, so its pretty much DIY (ie., not outside help,
    > execept for the repaint). Thanks,
    >
    > -Boyd S.

    I'm not sure this will be much help but the bike I ride on my trainer has a clamp on cable stop. I'm
    not sure where you could find one however. That bike is a cheap old bike from the mid-80s.

    Tom

  6. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Preferably ones that won't rust.

    Have you tried an LBS? There was a time in the late '70s when braze ons were out of fashion, and
    everything was clamped. I'm sure a shop that's been around a long time would have one around
    somewhere.

    I guess we can't talk you out of this. <g>

    Art Harris

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "J. Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B
    >
    > .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch
    of used
    > ones in a junk box at the last Velo Swap,but of
    course,that does you
    > no good.

    I used an old-style cable end with a hose clamp once. Worked fine -- the Shimano cable end fit
    perfectly inside the old-style, slightly larger one. The downside was no slot to slip the cable out
    for maintenance. As far as rust goes, stainless steel hose clamps are easy to find.

    Matt O.

  8. [email protected] (J. Price) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected].com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Preferably ones that won't rust. Thanks in advance, B
    >
    > .....................Try www.loosescrews.com I saw a bunch of used ones in a junk box at the last
    > Velo Swap,but of course,that does you no good.

    Thanks a lot!!! I found a sweet Dura-Ace one for only a buck!!! Check it out:
    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?
    d=single&c=Cable/Casing&sc=Clips/Stops&tc=Casing%20Stops&item_id=SH-6229117 &id=43273227432