Where can I get French stock cubes?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jo Ling, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Jo Ling

    Jo Ling Guest

    Just spent a week in the French alps, with delicious cooking provided by the
    chalet hosts.

    A lot of the food had an interesting piquance to it, but whenever I asked
    for the recipe it was a case of "oh, just some chicken and a stock cube,
    then some cream ... "

    Turns out they'd been using French stock cubes, and not the blank
    Oxo/Knorr/Tesco_Value stuff that you get here.

    Where in the UK can I get French stock cubes, s'il vous plait?

    Tags:

  2. Jo Ling

    Jo Ling Guest

    For blank read bland. Duh.

    "Jo Ling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just spent a week in the French alps, with delicious cooking provided by
    > the chalet hosts.
    >
    > A lot of the food had an interesting piquance to it, but whenever I asked
    > for the recipe it was a case of "oh, just some chicken and a stock cube,
    > then some cream ... "
    >
    > Turns out they'd been using French stock cubes, and not the blank
    > Oxo/Knorr/Tesco_Value stuff that you get here.
    >
    > Where in the UK can I get French stock cubes, s'il vous plait?

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Jo Ling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just spent a week in the French alps, with delicious cooking provided by
    > the chalet hosts.
    >
    > A lot of the food had an interesting piquance to it, but whenever I asked
    > for the recipe it was a case of "oh, just some chicken and a stock cube,
    > then some cream ... "
    >
    > Turns out they'd been using French stock cubes, and not the blank
    > Oxo/Knorr/Tesco_Value stuff that you get here.
    >
    > Where in the UK can I get French stock cubes, s'il vous plait?

    Yes, me too, where do I get FRENCH STOCK CUBES in the U.S. And I don't even
    know what they are. I never use any of the bullion cubes -- don't like
    them! -- but French? Well, I'm game.
    Dee Dee

  4. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Jo Ling wrote:

    > Just spent a week in the French alps, with delicious cooking provided by the
    > chalet hosts.
    >
    > A lot of the food had an interesting piquance to it, but whenever I asked
    > for the recipe it was a case of "oh, just some chicken and a stock cube,
    > then some cream ... "
    >
    > Turns out they'd been using French stock cubes, and not the blank
    > Oxo/Knorr/Tesco_Value stuff that you get here.
    >
    > Where in the UK can I get French stock cubes, s'il vous plait?

    If you are in London, there are a few small French shops in S
    Kensington, near the Lycee. They might have something useful.

    Some of the Middle Eastern shops along the Edgware Road may have
    something from Morocco.

    Otherwise take a day trip to Boulogne or Calais. But then who needs an
    excuse to do that anyway LOL?

  5. aem

    aem Guest

    Jo Ling wrote:
    > Just spent a week in the French alps, with delicious cooking provided by the
    > chalet hosts.
    >
    > A lot of the food had an interesting piquance to it, but whenever I asked
    > for the recipe it was a case of "oh, just some chicken and a stock cube,
    > then some cream ... "
    >
    > Turns out they'd been using French stock cubes, and not the blank
    > Oxo/Knorr/Tesco_Value stuff that you get here.
    >
    > Where in the UK can I get French stock cubes, s'il vous plait?

    I doubt that finding 'French stock cubes' is going to reproduce that
    'interesting piquance.' You needed to press a little harder to get a
    fuller answer. Letting the mind wander through the fields of French
    cooking, I wonder if perhaps you're not accustomed to using shallots in
    your cooking? If that's true, try some and see if that is the
    direction you're seeking. -aem