Where can I get one of these!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hey chaps....and chapessess

    Does anyone know where I can purchase a decent set of mudgaurds along the lines of the rear one in
    this following pic. http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

    Many thanks

    Simon

    ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
    for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
    recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
    reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

    The views expressed here are my own & do not represent or reflect the views or policies of
    Tau-Designs.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > Hey chaps....and chapessess
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can purchase a decent set of mudgaurds along the lines of the rear one in
    > this following pic. http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

    Check with alt.bmx.

    Greg

    --
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

  3. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:14:56 -0800, Simon wrote:

    > Hey chaps....and chapessess

    I think that's "chapasses". ;)

    gabrielle

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

    That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
    mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?

    Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would move
    up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.

    Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Check with alt.bmx.
    |
    | Greg
    |
    | --
    | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

    Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though. (waits for the cries of oh yes it is )

    I got a very similar frame and like the style of the mudguards. Anyone .....everyone....any ideas?

    Will check with alt.bmx too tho' greg, thanks :eek:)

    Simon

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  8. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg
    >

    > That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
    > mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?
    >
    > Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would
    > move up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.
    >
    > Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?

    Good questions. Sheldon Brown also thinks it's absurd to mount them on the crown. One place to look
    for answers would probably be the off-road motorcycle industry. Until the 60s most fenders, on- and
    off-road, were down near the fork brace. Eventually street bikes retained that location for fenders
    but off-road bikes started mounting them to the crown (and off-road bikes eventually used stiffer
    front axles so they dropped the fork brace). The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.

    Greg

    --
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all
    the
    > front fenders I've seen mount on the fork crown and not on the brake
    stiffener?

    I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from loading
    up with mud.

  10. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | They make the best ones IMO. Winter is coming, time to put it on my bike.
    |
    | http://www.the-products.com/
    |
    | - CA-G
    |
    | Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Carla your a life saver thats just the kind of thing I was looking for.......many thanks. If only
    others could be as open minded and objectional.

    Simon

  11. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg
    >
    > That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
    > mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?

    I have that setup for my rain bike. Mounted the fender to the brake-brace mounting hole in the arch.
    Not too common on a fork these days.

    > Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would
    > move up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.
    >
    > Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?

    Yup. More unsprung weight though, and less mud/tire clearance. Either way the fender keeps the
    mud out of your face. Where it really matters is for riding in the rain when you want to keep a
    little drier.

    David

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > | Check with alt.bmx.
    > |
    > | Greg
    > |
    > | --
    > | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"
    >
    > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.

    Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.

    Greg
    --
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >>That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all
    >
    > the
    >
    >>front fenders I've seen mount on the fork crown and not on the brake
    >
    > stiffener?
    >

    > I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from loading
    > up with mud.

    They still load up with mud. They just don't pack up between the fender and the tire. When the
    manufacturers were using crappy plastic exacerbated by crappy designs in the 80s front fenders would
    get so weighted down by mud they'd sag and catch on the tire and eventually break off.

    Greg

    --
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

  14. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.

    I'd add "Marketing" and "Image".
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  15. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
    |
    | Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.
    |
    | Greg
    | --
    | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

    *lmao* True

    Simon

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > Simon wrote:
    > > | Check with alt.bmx.
    > > |
    > > | Greg
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"
    > >
    > > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
    >
    > Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.

    How about alt.dorky-bikes?

    JD

  17. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from
    > >

    > They still load up with mud. They just don't pack up between the fender and the tire. When the
    > manufacturers were using crappy plastic
    exacerbated
    > by crappy designs in the 80s front fenders would get so weighted down by mud they'd sag and catch
    > on the tire and eventually break off.

    Okay, that's what I meant - they won't stop the tire as a result of being clogged with mud (under
    normal circumstances). I used to ride "enduro" motorcycles with street-type front fenders (mounted
    to the lower shock near the tire) - they'd load up with mud and stop the front tire dead. Not a fun
    thing to have happen.

  18. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.
    >

    > I'd add "Marketing" and "Image".

    Those were a given! I thought everyone assumed that already!

    Hahaha, Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  19. "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
    > >
    > > Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.
    >
    > How about alt.dorky-bikes?
    >
    > JD

    How about Toys 'R' Us?