Where can I get one of these!

Simon

Guest
Hey chaps....and chapessess

Does anyone know where I can purchase a decent set of mudgaurds along the lines of the rear one in
this following pic. http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

Many thanks

Simon

***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

The views expressed here are my own & do not represent or reflect the views or policies of
Tau-Designs.co.uk

Simon wrote:
> Hey chaps....and chapessess
>
> Does anyone know where I can purchase a decent set of mudgaurds along the lines of the rear one in
> this following pic. http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

Check with alt.bmx.

Greg

--
"Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:14:56 -0800, Simon wrote:

> Hey chaps....and chapessess

I think that's "chapasses". ;)

gabrielle

RE/
>http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg

That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?

Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would move
up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.

Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

| Check with alt.bmx.
|
| Greg
|
| --
| "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though. (waits for the cries of oh yes it is )

I got a very similar frame and like the style of the mudguards. Anyone .....everyone....any ideas?

Will check with alt.bmx too tho' greg, thanks :eek:)

Simon

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg
>

> That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
> mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?
>
> Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would
> move up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.
>
> Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?

Good questions. Sheldon Brown also thinks it's absurd to mount them on the crown. One place to look
for answers would probably be the off-road motorcycle industry. Until the 60s most fenders, on- and
off-road, were down near the fork brace. Eventually street bikes retained that location for fenders
but off-road bikes started mounting them to the crown (and off-road bikes eventually used stiffer
front axles so they dropped the fork brace). The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.

Greg

--
"Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

> That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all
the
> front fenders I've seen mount on the fork crown and not on the brake
stiffener?

I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from loading
up with mud.

| They make the best ones IMO. Winter is coming, time to put it on my bike.
|
| http://www.the-products.com/
|
| - CA-G
|
| Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Carla your a life saver thats just the kind of thing I was looking for.......many thanks. If only
others could be as open minded and objectional.

Simon

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >http://24ever.free.fr/customs/toy31.jpg
>
> That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all the front fenders I've seen
> mount on the fork crown and not on the brake stiffener?

I have that setup for my rain bike. Mounted the fender to the brake-brace mounting hole in the arch.
Not too common on a fork these days.

> Seems like putting it on the stiffener would keep it nice and close to the tire- since it would
> move up-and-down as the forks compress/extend.
>
> Granted it looks cooler way up there, but wouldn't it be more functional closer to the tire?

Yup. More unsprung weight though, and less mud/tire clearance. Either way the fender keeps the
mud out of your face. Where it really matters is for riding in the rain when you want to keep a
little drier.

David

Simon wrote:
> | Check with alt.bmx.
> |
> | Greg
> |
> | --
> | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"
>
> Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.

Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.

Greg
--

John Harlow wrote:
>>That raises a question that's been bugging me since day 1: Howcome all
>
> the
>
>>front fenders I've seen mount on the fork crown and not on the brake
>
> stiffener?
>

> I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from loading
> up with mud.

They still load up with mud. They just don't pack up between the fender and the tire. When the
manufacturers were using crappy plastic exacerbated by crappy designs in the 80s front fenders would
get so weighted down by mud they'd sag and catch on the tire and eventually break off.

Greg

--
"Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

RE/
>The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.

I'd add "Marketing" and "Image".
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

| > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
|
| Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.
|
| Greg
| --
| "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

*lmao* True

Simon

news:<[email protected]>...
> Simon wrote:
> > | Check with alt.bmx.
> > |
> > | Greg
> > |
> > | --
> > | "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"
> >
> > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
>
> Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.

How about alt.dorky-bikes?

JD

> > I'd imagine it's the same reason they're that way on motocross bikes: to prevent them from
> >

> They still load up with mud. They just don't pack up between the fender and the tire. When the
> manufacturers were using crappy plastic
exacerbated
> by crappy designs in the 80s front fenders would get so weighted down by mud they'd sag and catch
> on the tire and eventually break off.

Okay, that's what I meant - they won't stop the tire as a result of being clogged with mud (under
normal circumstances). I used to ride "enduro" motorcycles with street-type front fenders (mounted
to the lower shock near the tire) - they'd load up with mud and stop the front tire dead. Not a fun
thing to have happen.

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>The only thing I can think of is better mud clearance.
>

> I'd add "Marketing" and "Image".

Those were a given! I thought everyone assumed that already!

Hahaha, Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Ummmmmmm its not a bmx though.
> >
> > Actually, try rec.motorcycles.dirt. Much more appropriate.
>
> How about alt.dorky-bikes?
>
> JD

How about Toys 'R' Us?