Where can i get replacement : vintage shimano 600 stem 'cap'

jackchoo

Mar 6, 2006
hi..mine has gone missing....any ideas where i can get a replacement online. Heard that this is quite hard to come by, well at least over here!

If you happen to have one to sell or to give away...please contact me! Thanks!

Is the missing cap COSMETIC or does it serve a MECHANICAL purpose?

jackchoo said:
hi..mine has gone missing....any ideas where i can get a replacement online. Heard that this is quite hard to come by, well at least over here!

If you happen to have one to sell or to give away...please contact me! Thanks!
All I can suggest is to start looking on eBay. This is a really odd ball item and they stopped making Shimano 600 items around 1994. All I can really say is Good Luck!

well looks like I need to get the entire stem from Ebay! oh well, I'll think of some other way to cover that up. Well, cosmetically its quite unique but it serves a purpose of sealing the hole where the handlebar and stem adjustment nuts resides. I wouldn't want any water to get in there.....

thanks!

jackchoo said:
well looks like I need to get the entire stem from Ebay! oh well, I'll think of some other way to cover that up. Well, cosmetically its quite unique but it serves a purpose of sealing the hole where the handlebar and stem adjustment nuts resides. I wouldn't want any water to get in there.....
Well, if the cap just cosmetically fills-the-hole, then it isn't significantly different than a hub cap or wheel cover on an automobile wheel ... and, I presume you are saying that the stem is otherwise functional without it,

If that is the case, then you can fabricate something to replace the missing cap if all you are concerned about is an excessive amount of water (which will drain out the bottom of the fork's steerer, BTW) running down the stem's bolt if the bike is subjected to an excess amount of rain.

You can probably begin with a top cap from a threadless stem (some are composite and will be easier to work with), enlarge the hole to accommodate the end of the bolt & reduce the outer diamter to fit in the cavity at the top of the stem ... if you aren't handy, then this probably isn't an option.

OR, you could just fill the "hole" around the bolt with some BLACK (or, any color of your choice) silicone that you could get from an automotive store if function is more important than looks. When you need access, you can just pull the makeshift silicon plug out.

BTW. Have you asked your LBS if they can order a replacement?

FWIW. You could always try contacting Shimano (in Irvine) directly and asking them -- FAXing them is the most expedient method of contact. They may just send you a replacement cap if they have one floating around in their warehouse AND if you are very explicit with regard to the part that you need!

For the record, I am missing the same part on a 1994 3ttt stem, and you will have no problems with water from a mechanical/reliability point of view unless you plan on riding 24/7 in the rain forest. ;)

Having said that, from a cosmetic point of view the missing cap bothers me also. Ebay, here I come...

Powerful Pete said:
For the record, I am missing the same part on a 1994 3ttt stem, and you will have no problems with water from a mechanical/reliability point of view unless you plan on riding 24/7 in the rain forest. ;)

Having said that, from a cosmetic point of view the missing cap bothers me also. Ebay, here I come...
:cool: looks like my worries were a little bit exaggerated. It does rain a lot in Singapore (and it HOT all year round) but i do not do a 24/7 in the rain forest..:D I guess its down to cosmetics....

I've did extensive search on ebay and came up with nothing but did see some 3ttt stuff....you prob have to buy the entire stem just to get the cap...

jackchoo said:
I've did extensive search on ebay and came up with nothing but did see some 3ttt stuff....you prob have to buy the entire stem just to get the cap...
Yes, I doubt that you will find someone selling a stem cap. A better bet is spending some time in the old spare parts bins of local bike shops. You would be surprised what you might come up with.