WHERE CAN I GET STRONG TIRES FOR ROAD BIKE

WINDCHIMER

Apr 10, 2012
I have a 2004 GIANT OCR3 road bike which I loved riding in my neighborhood back East. The roads were nicely paved there but I still had to change my tubes now and again. I currently live in Arizona in a neighborhood where the roads are in dire need of paving but I won't hold my breath waiting for the highway department to show up. I've gotten back into riding regularly but have been riding my mountain bike since I otherwise would be changing tubes quite often. I have heard tires are now being made which won't pop or at least are more puncture resistant and am wondering if anyone can tell me what they are called and where I might find them. Thanks!

WINDCHIMER said:
I have a 2004 GIANT OCR3 road bike which I loved riding in my neighborhood back East. The roads were nicely paved there but I still had to change my tubes now and again. I currently live in Arizona in a neighborhood where the roads are in dire need of paving but I won't hold my breath waiting for the highway department to show up. I've gotten back into riding regularly but have been riding my mountain bike since I otherwise would be changing tubes quite often. I have heard tires are now being made which won't pop or at least are more puncture resistant and am wondering if anyone can tell me what they are called and where I might find them. Thanks!
There are loads of tires. Some like Continental Gatorskins. Some like Michelin Krylions. Some like Maxxis Re-Fuse. I live in Tucson, and I've used, with success, Michelin Krylions, Maxxis Re-Fuse, Michelin ProRace3, some Continental Gatorskin, some Schwalbe UltermoDD, some Vittoria race tires, and some Continental GP4000s. No matter the tires I've used, none of the roads down here--and some are very bad--have ever caused a tire failure. The only flats have been caused by road trash, goat heads, and cactus needles. The most flat resistant I've used of those (judging by number of flats) have been the Michelin PR3's, the Maxxis Re-Fuse tires, and the Michelin Krylions......about tied with the UltremoDD's. The PR3's and the UltremoDD's, though, are race tires and have shorter tread life. Cruise some of the bike shops and see what they have to offer. Landis Cyclery would be a good stop in the Phoenix area. In Tucson, I'd recommend Fair Wheel Bikes.

How much do you weigh, and to what pressure do you inflate your tires?

155lbs and dropping. I used to inflate the tires to about 90psi if I remember correctly. A little less than what is recommended on the tire.

At 155 lbs., you're pretty lightweight. You could probably drop your tire pressure even more, like 70 PSI front and 80 PSI rear. The number on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum recommended inflation, not the ideal for you. It seems counterintuitive, but lower pressures can be more efficient. A highly-inflated tire may have less rolling resistance, but every little imperfection of the road will send it into the air. When it's in the air, you can't apply power to the ground. Also, a larger contact patch (which comes with lower pressures) means that more of the weight on the tire is on the road around the potentially tire-puncturing object, thereby lessening the probability of a puncture.

Aside from not mentioning tire width (23 and 27 mm tires would have vastly different ranges so a recommendation may not apply to your given tire width) their are two downsides to running clincher tires too low: increased pinch flats, a feeling of vagueness (terror) when going around a turn to fast.

Some tires come with a range of pressure as opposed to just a max pressure which correspond to rider weights. Some manufactures have weight/pressure range charts on their websites (Like Conti). These numbers can also be helpful.

I have 700 x 25 Mavic Aksion currently with 2011 miles and never had a flat. I ride the Cherry Creek trail a lot in Colorado and goat heads like hanging out on there.

OP - I am no expert, but I just purchased a pair of 700 x 25 Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech III tires for less than half off retail price at Nashbar.com. They have 700 x 23 also. Puncture resistant, 150 TPI, 130 psi max. This is a 2015 model tire...Nashbar said when they're gone, they're gone. I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Specialized Armadillo All Condition are about as flat proof as you can buy. They also make a version called the Armadillo All Condition Reflect, the Reflect has a sidewall with reflective material in it. They weigh about 395 grams for a 700x25, while not light but you do have to pay some sort of penalty for a highly flat resistant tire.