Where can one do 2x20 in Sydney?

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
Just wondering if people have more suggestions as to where can one do 2x20 intervals here in Sydney? Up to this point Centennial Park seemed to be excellent until this morning when park rangers were out in force and limiting cyclists to 30kph or below. So I wondered if there's another place where one can do steady interval work without restriction?

sogood said:
Just wondering if people have more suggestions as to where can one do 2x20 intervals here in Sydney? Up to this point Centennial Park seemed to be excellent until this morning when park rangers were out in force and limiting cyclists to 30kph or below. So I wondered if there's another place where one can do steady interval work without restriction?
Olympic park is pretty good. We should do it through the week, I'll send you an email.
Were the rangers booking people ? Or just forcing them to slow ?
Were you there early ? I didn't see any when I was there at 12ish.

Just wondering ..... the posted speed limit for vehicles in Centennial Park is 30 km/hr. A bicycle is a vehicle, therefore the rider is obliged to keep to the posted speed limit (and no, the fact that cars regularly break the speed limit is not an excuse to do so). So why do the people who ride there think they should somehow be exempt because they are on a bicycle?

Now I realise Centennial Park represents a wonderful surface for riding, so a way forward might be to negotiate with the trustees to allow a higher limit for cyclists at certain set times - this would have to be at a time when use of the park by others is minimal. Maybe get one of the cycling advocacy groups in on the act?

Unfortunately we have nothing in Sydney like Beach Rd, except maybe the extension of General Holmes Dr down past Brighton-le-Sands (although then you have to put up with the doof-doof machines and their cerebrally challenged drivers). Or you could try the industrial area around Taren Point which is very quiet on weekends.

Yeah, there's no valid excuse. But it's tolerated at certain times of the day. The bunches that gather there are usually late afternoons on weekdays when there aren't many other people there, they tend to get faster as they go, and I find they can get too fast for my comfort when there are lots of commuters riding around.

I usually use the park for easy steady rides, where I'm on about 30 anyway unless it's on one of the downhill bits where it's hard to help breaking the limit. I also do some 1 minute intervals there when it's quiet, on those days I break the limit.... but only for short amounts of time :)

I've never had any troubles from rangers, but I have seen them getting involved with cyclist and car / dog owner altercations.

That said, if I want to sustain a > 30kmh pace, I go to olympic park.

Definitely interested but weekdays may be difficult for me to get over there. Yet again, school holidays offers some flexibility. But Olympic Park's circuit is also interrupted by traffic lights isn't it?

Over at Centennial, they had their car on one side of the road while another ranger was standing right by the bike lane. I didn't see them pulling anyone over, but I would have thought that's their purpose.

sogood said:
Definitely interested but weekdays may be difficult for me to get over there. Yet again, school holidays offers some flexibility. But Olympic Park's circuit is also interrupted by traffic lights isn't it?

Over at Centennial, they had their car on one side of the road while another ranger was standing right by the bike lane. I didn't see them pulling anyone over, but I would have thought that's their purpose.
Wow you must be like an elite athlete. :rolleyes:

Dont ride your bike at excessive speeds on surfaces designed for family and community use. As if you cant find a bit of road to do some 20 min intervals. What a complete toss. Use a trainer. Whatever. But dont complain about not being allowed to 'hammer' around a public use space designed for everyone.

DamianM said:
Well he has raced, which is more than I can say about some :p
Hate to say it big damo but that gag is going to become obselete one day....one day. :p

I went to the Novotel at Homebush for a conference last year. There were bunches of riders training there.

matagi said:
So why do the people who ride there think they should somehow be exempt because they are on a bicycle?

Now I realise Centennial Park represents a wonderful surface for riding, so a way forward might be to negotiate with the trustees to allow a higher limit for cyclists at certain set times - this would have to be at a time when use of the park by others is minimal. Maybe get one of the cycling advocacy groups in on the act?
The issue isn't about some exemption but a practical issue of finding somewhere to do interval training. For 2x20 SST, 30kph is just too low.

I also thought about some form of representation might be productive. Most dedicated cyclist trainers use early am or late afternoon when there's no family present. I regularly ride these on Sat am around 7-8am. It's simply not a time when you see families. Up to this point, I have not come across any other location where one can safely ride 20mins at a time without stopping at a relatively high exertional level.

existence said:
Wow you must be like an elite athlete. :rolleyes:

Dont ride your bike at excessive speeds on surfaces designed for family and community use. As if you cant find a bit of road to do some 20 min intervals. What a complete toss. Use a trainer. Whatever. But dont complain about not being allowed to 'hammer' around a public use space designed for everyone.
Wow, sharp tongue! Which decade in the 19th century did you come from? Interval training are not just for the elites. If you wander over to the training section on this forum, maybe you can learn something. :p

classic1 said:
I went to the Novotel at Homebush for a conference last year. There were bunches of riders training there.
Yes, that's the same suggestion as DamianM, Olympic Park.

sogood said:
Yes, that's the same suggestion as DamianM, Olympic Park.
Yep. It was mid-week when I was there and bugger all traffic around.

sogood said:
Wow, sharp tongue! Which decade in the 19th century did you come from? Interval training are not just for the elites. If you wander over to the training section on this forum, maybe you can learn something. :p
Wow, I'm not sure. But I do operate in the 21st century. You know, the one where sub elite athletes don't cry over not being able to find 13.3km of unimpeded tarmac. Its absurd IMO.

existence said:
Wow, I'm not sure. But I do operate in the 21st century. You know, the one where sub elite athletes don't cry over not being able to find 13.3km of unimpeded tarmac. Its absurd IMO.
I used to live in Sydney, and I have to say that the roads are hardly condusive to training. Its just stupidly dangerous. I for one would like to return home safely after each ride.

My suggestions, are M7 cyclepath, and the already mentioned Olympic park. There is generally very little traffic there (M7), pedestrians, bikes, and dogs.

thomas_cho said:
I used to live in Sydney, and I have to say that the roads are hardly condusive to training. Its just stupidly dangerous. I for one would like to return home safely after each ride.

My suggestions, are M7 cyclepath, and the already mentioned Olympic park. There is generally very little traffic there (M7), pedestrians, bikes, and dogs.
Yes, that's the problem with training in Sydney and the reason for the question. Up to this point for me, Centennial Park seemed to be the safest place for this kind of training. As you and others have suggested, I will check out Olympic Park and the loop there and see how it works out. M7 is just too far from where I am.

Thanks all.

existence said:
Good that we've established you are not some form of apparition from the past. Now you can go and read up on the latest cycle training technique.

As for your 13.3km of 2x20... Well, sounds like 2x20 can really benefit you.

soshit said:
Lets hope someone writes a book on the 'new revolutionary' 2 x 20s....lol.

Existence said:
serie_zok.jpg
sogood said:
Existence said:
sogood said:
Existence said:
I can't believe no-one's done the "Syd vs Melb" **** :)

You're obviously in the wrong city:

Beach Rd: 12km between Mordialloc and Bay Rd, Sandringham, with only a few pedestrian crossings in between
thumb.gif

Then, going inbound, the next five sets of lights are T-intersections, so if you get all greens, there's another 4km before the **** starts in Brighton.

But seriously, are there any long climbs around there?

sogood said:
Good that we've established you are not some form of apparition from the past. Now you can go and read up on the latest cycle training technique.

For what it's worth, I gave up tyring to do these out on the road. Just in the too hard basket, between interupted sections of road, uninterupted sections with **** in the cycle lane and punctures right as you are starting to burn.

I use my trainer exclusively these days for interval work (either low reps @30min or high reps at 4min). Very very boring, but you can perfectly control the workout (including ensuring your HR is at around LT if you train using that tool) and also at times ride close to exhaustion, which I don't think is especially safe out on the road.

--brett