where could I get some 1" Threadless suspension forks

ThEdge

Dec 30, 2011
Hello everyone!

My question is in the title really, one additional problem, I am on a tight budget, under £100, yes £'s I am in the UK also....

Any idea's where I could lay my hands on some of these so I ca get my old Gary Fisher back on the road?

Many Thanks

You probably need to source the fork from eBay ... the option of a 'good' 1" suspension fork is probably an old Rock Shox Judy or a presumably-made-for-Specialized-by-Rock-Shox fork.

The department store MTBs may have forks with 1" steerers ...

Regardless, a 1" suspension fork will probably have limited utility because its travel will be very limited regardless of vintage ...

FWIW. Having once given this very situation more consideration than I possibly should have, if you want a more contemporary fork, then the better option may be to buy the suspension fork whose specs suit your riding requirements & then replace the 1 1/8" steerer with a 1" steerer ...

THAT may-or-may-not be a daunting undertaking ...

• some steerers are integrated into the shoulder
  • some steerers are held in place with pinch bolts

In the former case, if you can't extract the steerer without damaging the shoulder then you could amputate the steerer and then bond ([COLOR= #808080]and "pin"[/COLOR]) a 1" steerer inside the resultant hole ...

In the latter case, you may have to fabricate a steerer using 1" tubing ...

In both cases, you will probably want to bond a collar of some sort ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., brass strip wrapped around the tubing[/COLOR]) at the base of the steerer for the headset race.

If you aren't a purist & the frame has limited historical ([COLOR= #808080]aka monetary[/COLOR]) value, the you could have a frame builder (or, you could DIY) replace the head tube with one which will accept a 1 1/8" steerer.

Personally, I would just opt for a rigid fork ...

If need be, I would just use an 'old' ROAD fork ... without checking, I reckon that a BMX brake caliper ([COLOR= #808080]the reach is in the 95mm range[/COLOR]) might work ([COLOR= #808080]or, be necessary![/COLOR]), or not.

WOW! Alfeng! You really did spend too long thinking on this matter!!

I have had the bike for some years now, as in I bought it second hand in 1997/98, so monetarily = £0:00

My love for this bike though, she is still beautiful, but the Rock Shox are very very dead, RIP.

I like your other thoughts though and will definitely be delving further into the dark depths of the shed that have not been visited for a year or two....../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

BTW. You can probably buy a rebuild ("service") kit for your Rock Shox fork ...

Ask a couple of LBSes about it ... keep asking until you find on that can order the part(s) for you ...

If there is a difficulty in getting a kit to rebuild your fork then it will be due to the age of the fork.

Of course, the Internet is always (y)our friend:

THAT may be all you need ...

Query them to see if they think new seals will make your fork viable OR if you will need additional-or-other parts.

You could also look for a used bike to use for parts. Not sure if you have craigslist available in the UK. The site is a good source of used bikes. Older mountain bikes are very popular listings here.

Originally Posted by davereo .

You could also look for a used bike to use for parts. Not sure if you have craigslist available in the UK. The site is a good source of used bikes. Older mountain bikes are very popular listings here.
Thanks davereo, time for a nose in the free-ads me thinks....

Originally Posted by alfeng .

BTW. You can probably buy a rebuild ("service") kit for your Rock Shox fork ...

Ask a couple of LBSes about it ... keep asking until you find on that can order the part(s) for you ...

If there is a difficulty in getting a kit to rebuild your fork then it will be due to the age of the fork.

Of course, the Internet is always (y)our friend:

THAT may be all you need ...

Query them to see if they think new seals will make your fork viable OR if you will need additional-or-other parts.
A good plan, but my old Rock Shox have truly died, as in the stanchion has split!

I am thinking I may go down the route of a Roadie fork, or if I can find a cycloX one with 1" threadless stem this will be the way to go.
The extra length given for the 700 wheel will compensate for the extra that is missing from the suspension forks, As mentioned before, travel wasn't huge on 1" bouncing forks!!

Thanks for your time guys, appreciated.