Where did all the cheap steal go?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by EagleVT94, Feb 9, 2005.

1. EagleVT94

EagleVT94 New Member

I ride an aluminum dura-ace set-up for the racing season, but I also was surfing around, looking for a cheap steel frame to toss some parts on...where are they! How come I can find aluminum frames for $119 but nothing steel? They've got to be out there somewhere...I want to build up my beater.

Tags:

2. biker7

biker7 New Member

You want cheap steel? I have an early 80's Schwinn Traveler Chrome Moly and a late 70's Schwinn 1020 Le tour...both lugged...you hang some parts on :)
    Any vintage Schwinn lightweight fans on the board?
    George

3. Tonto

Tonto New Member

I have a cheap, steel, lugged, Columbus-tubed Olmo frame I got for €99 (about $140?).
    It was old stock and the shop owner told me he'd been trying to get rid of it for years, knocking the price down every few months (it started out at €350, so it was pretty cheap when it was new as well).
    He said it was the last steel frame he had in stock and had no plans to bring in more. He told me that nobody's interested in steel anymore because cyclists these days are obsessed with weight and to get a steel frame that's as light as a low end Al frame will cost a fortune.
    I ride the same roads on it now that I used to ride on my Al-framed Giant OCR and it is so, so much smoother.....and when I'm in the mountains I've never felt that it's heavy either. The frame is definitely nothing special but it was certainly a bargain :)

4. wangatang

wangatang New Member

if you're in the US try craigslist.org there's always someone selling old bike, sometimes you can find great deals.

5. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

E-Bay has quite a selection as long as you don't mind used.

6. Hazmat

Hazmat New Member

I don't get it, why steel? Al has so many advantages, why revert to old tech?

7. Tonto

Tonto New Member

It's a matter of preference. Some people like old style steel. It's been done to death in a million threads.
    And steel is not necessarily old tech either. Have a look at a new Pegoretti steel framed bike for example.

8. ishiwata

ishiwata New Member

because it's lightweight, durable, attractive, and comfortable.. The real question is, "Why not steel?"

9. Tonto

Tonto New Member

Testify :D

10. RC2

RC2 New Member

<== This is exactly the reason the steel frames you will find (new) on the market today are spendy. They are high-end, for high-end experienced riders who really understand the relative advantages of steel vs. aluminum. The low-mid-level market (I'm about to stereotype here) buys Al because of the price-to-weight/stiffness ratio, or composites because they're "cool."

Experienced riders who already may have a stiff/light crit frame in the stable, who are looking for a bike that maximizes riding pleasure, are the few. So with all the tech going into deda/columbus/reynolds super high-end steel, and with the economies of scale that come with that smaller demand/market, prices naturally go up. (Higher-end craftmanship also typically comes into play and adds cost in this segment.)

11. EagleVT94

EagleVT94 New Member

The high-end steel frames do come with some amazing craftsmanship. I have an old steel framed bike thats a few sizes too big. I like the ride and durability, but wanted to finally make a good fit. I race with a Caad7 Dura-ace. I looked around a bit and decided to go with the Surly Cross-cycle. I figure this way I can use my road wheels, or throw on some nobbies. I'm now trying to research the best way to use the Ultegra shifters with the new brakes I'll have to get.

Steel is a smooth ride... :cool:

(Did not intend to start an alum vs steel war, I was just surprised in my research that almost all steel frames are indeed pretty high-tech/high-end.)

12. ishiwata

ishiwata New Member

surly's are sweet, so are the surlyesque Soma's offered by american cyclery in san francisco.. http://www.americancyclery.com -- i think that's the link.. American basically took the Surly idea and did it for themselves.. if you haven't already bought a surly check out the somas as well.

13. dhk

dhk New Member

Check out Wal-Mart for cheap steel bikes. I'd guess that low-end 1020 steel is still the most common material for bikes world-wide, if you look at total numbers produced annually.

14. Rompinrhino

Rompinrhino New Member

Try a Torelli www.torelli.com They make several steel frames, made in Italy. Prices are really good too.

15. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

I have a few steel frame bikes. Love 'em. :cool:

16. bcbob

bcbob New Member

It might have something to do with the fact that the cost of Steel has rocketed over the last couple of years. The good old chinese have been buying as much as possible. The european market has been affected quite badly.

17. EagleVT94

EagleVT94 New Member

Doctor Morbius, I love the banana seat! I had one ages ago. It'd be fun to tool around on one of those again.