Where did you buy your ride ???

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
I am definitely going to buy a new bike within the next 6 months. I have visited all of the LBS around my region, and now starting to look online, which is winning me over so far.

Just wondering where did everyone buy their bikes ??? LBS? Online? (understanding that some were self-bulit, which I would not get into with my experience)

gman0482 said:
I am definitely going to buy a new bike within the next 6 months. I have visited all of the LBS around my region, and now starting to look online, which is winning me over so far.

Just wondering where did everyone buy their bikes ??? LBS? Online? (understanding that some were self-bulit, which I would not get into with my experience)

I bought my Scott Speedster S60 at a local bike shop called CycleSport. I did a lot of research online first before I got the bike.

i bought my bike where i thought would best appropriate my benefits to the world of cycling, bike barn.

man was i wrong.

If there are any rental shops on the north shore, check them out for end-of-season sales, you could get a decent bargain. My steed came from someone on Craigslist, you saw it posted in another thread. If you do some due diligence you could end up with a decent bargain going that route as well.

I am currently looking on the internet and see some beautiful bikes for sale, mostly on ebay. However I am scared to buy a bike that is used on the computer. I am willing to spend around $1,500, but could spend more if it would be a great deal.

Another question that I have is : With the New England weather coming to an end very quicky, should I wait until winter for a better deal ? or it doesn't matter that much and get a bike now, because I am SOO fired up to buy a new bike right now. The biggest reason is, I just had to buy a cheap $80 wheel because the spokes started snapping off on the rear. I would rather save $ to put towards a new bike, and not keep dumping $ into a 2000 cyclocross.

When shopping online from a private party, you'd want to buy from someone local, that way you can at least take a good look at it before you plunk your money down, for all you know someone could be trying to sell you a bike with a damaged frame that could fall apart and injure you. Not to mention when shopping on eBay for something as large as a bike, the shipping charges are likely to be enormous. If you're gonna shop on eBay, I'd suggest two things - make sure the seller is in the area, and find out if they offer a local pickup option as opposed to shipping.

gman0482 said:
Another question that I have is : With the New England weather coming to an end very quicky, should I wait until winter for a better deal ? or it doesn't matter that much and get a bike now, because I am SOO fired up to buy a new bike right now. The biggest reason is, I just had to buy a cheap $80 wheel because the spokes started snapping off on the rear. I would rather save $ to put towards a new bike, and not keep dumping $ into a 2000 cyclocross.

You won't see many price discounts on this year's bikes until later in the year, likely after Interbike in October. You can, however, score bigger deals on 2008, 2007, and other new old stock bikes in shops. In fact, that's a great way to end up with a great buy.

Unless you're confident in your bike size, now, and know what to look for in other bikes in terms of size (i.e. top tube length, head tube length, seat tube angle, head tube angle, and so on), I'd avoid internet bike purchases. In general, it's harder to return a wrongly sized bike bought through an internet purchase than it is one bought at an LBS.

Another benefit to buying at an LBS is bike fitting. Any reputable LBS will be able to do a bike fit correctly. Normally bike fits run $50-$100ish. If you do the fit, almost all of the LBS's will deduct the cost of that fit from your new bike. So that's not a bad deal at all. Also if you buy a complete bike from an LBS, they're more likely to switch out parts that don't work for you/fit you, such as saddles, stems, different pedals perhaps.....You should shop several LBS's. IMHO, it's worth a bit of driving to find a good LBS and a good bike deal.

Both of my bicycles where purchased new from A&B bicycle in Springfield, MO.

My Dad bought the Paramount in 1964 and I bought the Cannondale in 1983 ( I think it was 83, I don't remember exactly ).

If I had $1500 to spend on a road bike I would definitely buy a used one, because "I think" I could so much more bike for my money.

I say "I think" because I'm not planning on buying another bike and I have not been pricing bicycles, my statement is based on what other people have been telling me and the pricing I see on the internet.

I would not be comfortable with buying a bike on-line, I'd have to be able to see it and ride it prior to purchase.

I'd also pay a couple of hundred dollars more if needed to purchase a bike from my LBS, rather than from an individual, because I know my LBS will stand behind a bike they sold, I think they even have warranties and first tune up for free etc. A private seller probably is going to tell you "you bought it...it's yours."

Thanks to all of you, everything makes sense. Even though the deals might sound great on the web, it is way too much $$ to be risking.

Tomorrow is my day off, so I am looking up all LBS's within 25 miles of me, and going to make a road trip. Definitely safer, with warranty, plus a fit/test is 100% needed. All I know (or think) is that I need at least a 60cm frame. I am 6'4" tall. And the point about getting a '08 or even '06 model is great as well. Thanks again.

The only other option is that my uncle is a rider in Poland, so I e-mailed him a couple of makes&models for him to check out at some LBS's over there. It might be worth it to purchase it in Poland and ship it over.

-Greg

gman0482 said:
Tomorrow is my day off, so I am looking up all LBS's within 25 miles of me, and going to make a road trip. Definitely safer, with warranty, plus a fit/test is 100% needed. All I know (or think) is that I need at least a 60cm frame. I am 6'4" tall. And the point about getting a '08 or even '06 model is great as well. Thanks again.

The only other option is that my uncle is a rider in Poland, so I e-mailed him a couple of makes&models for him to check out at some LBS's over there. It might be worth it to purchase it in Poland and ship it over.

-Greg

The Poland thing could work out to your advantage, especially if you can get a discount on shipping from a friend/neighbor/hostage.

First bike: Sears, way back in 1968.
Second bike: Saved from the trash and restored.
Third bike: Tracked down and bought from owner who no longer rode it.
Fourth through Seventh bike: Bought on eBay and restored.

If you are new to the sport, get it from an LBS for the pre-sale and post-sale support. But wait a couple of months for when the prices go down. But start your research now so that you will know what you want and what you need when the time is right to make the purchase. I think that I pretty much just repeated what everyone else said.

I am mostly looking at : Trek and/or Specialized around here. There is a local shop in my town called Fit Werkz. It is unreal. The cheapest bike there, is about $5,000 (no Treks/Specialized there, just Cervellos' and Serottas'), but they are all pro's and triatheletes in there who know their stuff.

I would love a carbon frame also, but that is impossible under $1,500 around here. Maybe in Poland I could get some Euro brands that are big $ here.

Thanks,
-Greg

Just my 2 cents. I would buy from a LBS, just for the service you get. No real customer service online. If you want something new may I suggest some of Trek's aluminum frames. You can get some good components on and aluminum Trek for around 1500. I know there are alot of other top notch bicycle companies that also make good bikes in that price range. For that amount of money I doubt you would find a carbon fiber frame complete bike. Everyone has their own opinion but besides carbon I would choose aluminum. Its a harsh ride sometime but the stiffness in the frame is something you will crave on the climbs.

First and foremost, someone should get the bike they want. They should be limited to whatever bikes their LBS's stock. A person should also not overpay just to buy from an LBS. Too expensive is too expensive, no matter where that product is. It's important to keep in mind that one LBS is not like another. You should buy from an LBS if they can't wrench on bikes correctly or if their customer service sucks.

Any reputable LBS will service a customer who bought their bike online just as if that customer had bought their bike at the LBS. Any LBS that won't do that, doesn't deserve anyone's patronage.

alienator said:
First and foremost, someone should get the bike they want. They should be limited to whatever bikes their LBS's stock. A person should also not overpay just to buy from an LBS. Too expensive is too expensive, no matter where that product is. It's important to keep in mind that one LBS is not like another. You should buy from an LBS if they can't wrench on bikes correctly or if their customer service sucks.

Any reputable LBS will service a customer who bought their bike online just as if that customer had bought their bike at the LBS. Any LBS that won't do that, doesn't deserve anyone's patronage.

100% on the money. As an example, I walked into Fit Werx in my town, and right away I figured it was WAAY out of my league, (Cervelo's, Guru's, Serotta's only) and all for PRO's and triatheletes. But I started chatting with one of the guys, and we talked for about 1/2 hr just shooting the sh#t. Long story short, my spoke/nipple snapped off one day, and they fixed it for me on the spot, and charged $10 for labor. Other LBS told me 2 day wait, and $45. Go figure, I bought my Felt from Fit Werx a week later. I will never go anywhere else.

-Greg