Where do i purchase a new bike?

Thomas Russo

Feb 22, 2016
I'm new to the cycling community, and I was wondering what type of bike I should purchase. I am not terribly familiar with all the different types of bikes and different manufacturers, and I need your help. I live in an area where there are not many bike shops, and they typically sell basic mountain bikes, and other inexpensive options for children. I was wondering if there was a major company that strictly sold bikes and bike parts? Thank you!

How far are you from the nearest city? Would spending a Saturday in that city shopping for a bike sound a good idea?

That could do it, but nothing like doing some online search first and some calls, surely after that we can get a good idea of what we want and we can just go ahead and buy it.

My suggestion is the bike shop. Don't buy from an online store particularly if you are not well versed with bikes. Try to find a bike store no matter if it's in the next city. The store attendant can assist you and give suggestions and even pointers on what bike is good for you relevant to your purpose. The bike store is the best place to buy a bike since you can try to bike for a road test.

Reactions: sonipat
Corzhens is right.

If you're that hep into doing online research, just go to the website of one of the big three (Giant, Trek, Cannondale, or is it Specialized?) and browse the different types of bikes, their purposes, and their price ranges. Decide what kind of bike might best suit you, or at least come up with a short list. And then understand that just about every major brand has that kind of bike, so you can walk into a Cannondale dealer, say, and tell the salesman you were thinking about, say, a Trek Neko (ladies version of the Dual Sport), and he'll say, "Oops, that's one category Cannondale doesn't cover." So you go to the Specialized dealer, and he sends you out on a test ride of a new Ariel and tells you why you're better off buying the Ariel from him than the Neko from a Trek dealer. And then you go to the Trek dealer to see if he's right, and you don't know, so then you post a new thread that says should I buy a Specialized Ariel or a Trek Neko?

And then alfeng jumps in and says, "Neither. You should find an old road bike and convert it for on-off road riding with a suspension fork, flat handlebar, and new shifters, brakes, and cranks to make it all work together.":)

And I'm going to say, "If you really can't decide if one's better than the other, go with the dealer who gave you a better vibe."

Definitely go to a bike shop. They'll give you advice on what to buy, and help you get the right size/fit so that the bike is comfortable to ride. Of course, online research beforehand never hurts to get a sense of what you might be looking for.

As others have said, if your not sure what bike you want then there's no harm in doing a bit of research online, but I'd definitely choose to buy from a local dealer instead.

When buying face to face you'll generally get a better more custom service, and that's what you need if your not entirely sure what your looking for.

If this is your first bike purchase in a long time then you first have to decide what you're going to use the bike for.

1. Mountain Biking
2. Beach Cruising
3. Cycling
4.BMX
5. All Purpose

Once you decide the purpose of your bike then I suggest you go to a local mom and pop bike center and consult them. I find that the local shops are not in it to make a million dollars but instead they do it because they are passionate for cycling.

Your situation presents lots of questions and options. But for the best bang for the buck, consider traveling to a city that has a couple of bikes stores. The one where they ask you the most questions is the one that wants to truly put you on the right bike. They will also probably do more to get you the right fit as well. An ill fitting bike is one that is not ridden very often. You will pay more at an independent bike shop but it is, more times than not, worth it.

First of all a warm welcome to this community.And I sees your problem it's best to buy a bike from a nearby shop because it can help you to negotiate the price well and you don't have to wait for days to receive your order as happens in online.

My suggestion is the bike shop. Don't buy from an online store particularly if you are not well versed with bikes. Try to find a bike store no matter if it's in the next city. The store attendant can assist you and give suggestions and even pointers on what bike is good for you relevant to your purpose. The bike store is the best place to buy a bike since you can try to bike for a road test.

How far is the nearest bike store from you home? Even if it is far from your home, I would suggest that you should buy your cycle from your nearest bike shop. You would be able to judge the quality and you can also bargain with the shopkeeper. Just like Corzhens said, I would not recommend you online shops.

If you live near a 'Decathlon' that's a great place to get bikes and any sportwear/sport equipment you need.

Failing that, you could always check amazon or ask if anyone has a second hand bike going in your town.

First of all a warm welcome to this community.And I sees your problem it's best to buy a bike from a nearby shop because it can help you to negotiate the price well and you don't have to wait for days to receive your order as happens in online.
I agree with you. He can negotiate the price easily in a local shop.

Why not just purchase your bike at a local retail store? You will get perks like a generous warranty, as well as the chance to get a discount by haggling for prices, that you can't do online. You also don't have to worry about having to purchase parts for repairs, as well as any other inconveniences that may come if you purchase a bike online. It will also support your local stores, so that's a plus too!

I definitely wouldn't purchase a bike online. If I were you, I would try going to a Cabellas store or a **** Sporting Goods. I'm not sure if you have those in your area. But that might be a good place to start. You could always try a local bike shop. If you tell the person working there your needs I am sure they can help. My uncle builds bikes, so every bike I have ever owned came from him. If you find someone who does that, that may be the best option.