Where do i purchase a new bike?

If you live near a 'Decathlon' that's a great place to get bikes and any sportwear/sport equipment you need.

Failing that, you could always check amazon or ask if anyone has a second hand bike going in your town.
That's a good suggestion but online stores never not allow you to negotiate unlike the local stores. :D

Hi Thomas,

First of all, welcome to the world of Cycling. :)

Now considering you are new to Cycling, first you should learn about the main types of Cycles out there and that should help you choose the one most suitable for you.
For keeping it simple, lets take the most popular ones.

1. Road Bike - The Road Bike is for the City and such..
2. Mountain Bike - As the name says, for the rugged use on Mountains.
3. Hybrid Bike - Combination of Road Bike + Mountain Bike + some more

If you are unsure about which one to choose, I would say go with the Hybrid bike.

The Hybrid bikes are usually light weight with thinner wheels and smoother tires which are borrowed from the road bikes and the flat, straight handlebars and upright seating posture are from the mountain bike.

I have a couple of hybrid bikes reviewed for my blog readers. I hope it helps you too, if you like to read them head over here : http://www.cravingride.com/

Let us know about your adventures Thomas!

Thomas, are you new to cycling? If you are and you're wanting a new hobby I cannot recommend you buy a new bike be it inexpensive or especially expensive. Why you scream? Because most people that start a hobby, particularly a physical activity type of hobby for fitness end up dropping out after 3 to 6 months and thus exercise equipment of all sorts including bikes end up being expensive garage art. And inexpensive bike shop bikes are not that particularly good either and can cost you $500 plus accessories.

I would find a really nice used steel frame bike on Craigslist for about $150 to $300 range that has been well cared for and or lightly ridden and in your size. Go to the owner and test ride it to make sure it's right for you, and make sure the owner can adjust the seat for you. Then if you stay with the sport for more than 2 years and you're fanatical about it then buy a better new bike.

Just my opinion based on very little information to go on so I could be way off on this advice.

It's perfect to buy a mountain bike if you live in that kind of area. First, you should check the prices of different bikes online. You can compare all the bikes at once on many sites. You can also buy the bikes from the local retail stores as you can easily negotiate the price of the bikes. Personally, I have bought all of my bikes online and I have received perfect service. I would also recommend you to buy the bikes online.

you should go to sports shops. Even if it's not bike specific they can sell some really good bikes because it's sport related.

Since I'm not from a former eastern bloc country, I'm not sure if you buy a bike online from a western dealer if the warranty would be any good where you live. I think I would try to buy either locally or from a eastern bloc area so you could get hassle free service. I know in Romania that the Giant bike brand is imported there, these are fine bikes if you want carbon fiber. There is also Triton if you want a titanium bike that will last forever. Sorry if I'm not much help to you, I'm not from that area even though i have in some Eastern Bloc countries, but had nothing to do with bicycles.