Where do the greatest numbers of recumbent riders live?

I thought moving back to the Midwest I would see more recumbents than I saw in New England. However
that hasn't been the case. I just did a fairly flat century this weekend and didn't see a single
other recumbent. I have talked to a couple other riders in the area but havn't met either yet. I did
see a Bike E2 one day coming down a hill I was slogging up. I guess NE Ohio is not a recumbent
mecca. Craig

[email protected] (Marci Taylor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am wondering where a person would live if their priority was to live in an area that had a large
> number of recumbent riders. I wish I could say that I live in such an area but I don't. I often
> see posts talking about the group rides and frankly I am envious!!!!! I know of about 5 total
> recumbent riders in our area and about 3 of them are very non performance oriented riders ( I mean
> really non-performance riders that ride about 6 to 7 miles per hour max speed). I think it must be
> fun to live in a place where there is an actual recumbent club and regular rides. Anyone know
> where these places are? I get the feeling that somewhere in Florida is one of them??? Marci

Hmmm... maybe not the highest. I seem to remember that the mayor of Nome, Alaska has more than one
recumbent in his family. That's gotta be a very high "per capita" number.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Marci Taylor wrote:
>

>>I am wondering where a person would live if their priority was to live in an area that had a large
>>number of recumbent riders.
>>

> To the best of my knowledge the territory with the highest per capita number of recumbents is Port
> Stanley in the Falkland Islands, where there is one recumbent for every 1600 people...
>
> Otherwise try the Dutch province of Flevoland.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Greg,

I ride my Bikee RX and E2 (and soon my GTO!) usually down Old Mill Road (at 48 mph) to the Chagrin
River. I've seen a low racer, and some Burleys. Any chance you ride on the Chagrin River Road in NE
Ohio? Great riding over to the Metroparks and up Richmond to complete the loop back to Pepper Pike.
Do you know Hillel who rides a Rotator?

BentJay

[email protected] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Marci, Well Duh, the greatest recumbent riders live in California.

This years Bike Florida Ride had 114 bents of all types.

Here in Jupiter Fl, just a few miles north of West Palm Beach, there are probably 4 in town. In the
West Palm Beach Bicycle Club with 250 +/- members there only 3 that I know of.

I brought my Easy Racer to work one day and a friend went out and bought one for himself......his
wife laughed at him and the bike.......then she went for a ride and bought one for herself.......My
wife rode my bike once and said "sell my mountain bike and our tandem"

Peter Spirito

g19glock1 wrote:

> I don't shoot at people that don't shoot at me :-} NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal
> Protection Instructor.

Fair enough!

> The town is Colon.

The Magic Capitol! Also maybe known as the butt-hole of Michigan? :)

> I get up and ride the Kal-Haven a number of times a year. Always on my DF, but sure want to do it
> bent soon.
>
> Maybe I'll See you there sometime. ;)

It's possible! I have been preferring roads to the kal-haven lately, but it's a very nice trail, for
sure. There are many recumbent riders in SW
mich. I saw a vrex and a homebuilt tour easy (plus my Haluzak) at tonight's Kalamazoo Bike Club
ride, as a matter of fact.

BentJay, Yep thats the area I ride on occasions. I think I saw you on the BikeE E2 on day coming
down Berkshire (I was going up on a Yellow Baron). That is a nice area to ride. I have exchanged
email with Hillel but havn't met up with him yet. e-mail me if you want to meet sometime for a ride
around that area. I live in Shaker so I usually come out that way on my rides. Craig Optima Baron
[email protected]

[email protected] (BentJay) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Greg,
>
> I ride my Bikee RX and E2 (and soon my GTO!) usually down Old Mill Road (at 48 mph) to the Chagrin
> River. I've seen a low racer, and some Burleys. Any chance you ride on the Chagrin River Road in
> NE Ohio? Great riding over to the Metroparks and up Richmond to complete the loop back to Pepper
> Pike. Do you know Hillel who rides a Rotator?
>
> BentJay

Originally posted by Paul Bruneau
g19glock1 wrote:

> I don't shoot at people that don't shoot at me :-} NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal
> Protection Instructor.

Fair enough!

> The town is Colon.

The Magic Capitol! Also maybe known as the butt-hole of Michigan? :)

Yep, you nailed that one, only were more sensitive than I would have been with the wording. Colon's village fruit is the road apple...lol.:D

> I get up and ride the Kal-Haven a number of times a year. Always on my DF, but sure want to do it
> bent soon.
>
> Maybe I'll See you there sometime. ;)

It's possible! I have been preferring roads to the kal-haven lately, but it's a very nice trail, for
sure. There are many recumbent riders in SW
mich. I saw a vrex and a homebuilt tour easy (plus my Haluzak) at tonight's Kalamazoo Bike Club
ride, as a matter of fact.

Paul, I'll shout at you when I am coming up there and maybe we can ride a few miles.

kim

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Otherwise try the Dutch province of Flevoland.

For the whole of The Netherlands you can count on more than 2 recumbents per 1000 people.

Kees, in our street its three recumbents on 400 people, van Malssen Desborough, United Kingdom

Keith <[email protected]> wrote:
: Surely it would be in the Netherlands, parts of Germany or in the UK? Quite a few here in Canberra
: as well :)

I heard Netherlands has tens of thousands of bents. More than the rest of Europe taken together.
(One owner can have several bents, though.)

During a 1 week of holiday (more driving than cycling kilos) in .nl I spotted 2 bents in the wilds,
then quite a few around Lelystad/Dronten obviously attending Cycle Vision, and of course all the
stuff in CV.

I don't know relative numbers, but the San Francisco Bay Area, not surprisingly, has a decent
community of bent riders. We also have at least three Yahoo groups that help bent riders organize
rides (or band together to participate in organized rides put on by local clubs).

It isn't like there are three rides every weekend with 40 bents; but there are increasingly frequent
rides with a half-dozen or so bents; and it's getting easier all the time to arrange rides with one
or two friends on short notice, thanks to those Yahoo groups. Rides with two or three people are
among the best, anyway, week-in, week-out - you spend less time handling logistics and more time
reading. However, it's great to have the flexibility of a larger community of riders so you get to
ride with different people. That makes it easier to arrange a ride for the days when you're free;
increases the chances of finding riding buddies with similar proclivities for pace and difficulty;
keeps the conversations interesting; and helps you discover lots of new routes to ride.

--
Greg Dunn

"Marci Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am wondering where a person would live if their priority was to live in an area that had a large
> number of recumbent riders. I wish I could say that I live in such an area but I don't. I often
> see posts talking about the group rides and frankly I am envious!!!!! I know of about 5 total
> recumbent riders in our area and about 3 of them are very non performance oriented riders ( I mean
> really non-performance riders that ride about 6 to 7 miles per hour max speed). I think it must be
> fun to live in a place where there is an actual recumbent club and regular rides. Anyone know
> where these places are? I get the feeling that somewhere in Florida is one of them??? Marci

--
Greg Dunn

"Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't know relative numbers, but the San Francisco Bay Area, not surprisingly, has a decent
> community of bent riders. We also have at least three Yahoo groups that help bent riders organize
> rides (or band together
> participate in organized rides put on by local clubs).
>
> It isn't like there are three rides every weekend with 40 bents; but there are increasingly
> frequent rides with a half-dozen or so bents; and it's getting easier all the time to arrange
> rides with one or two friends on short notice, thanks to those Yahoo groups. Rides with two
> or three
people
> are among the best, anyway, week-in, week-out - you spend less time
handling
> logistics and more time reading. However, it's great to have the flexibility of a larger community
> of riders so you get to ride with different people. That makes it easier to arrange a ride for the
> days when you're free; increases the chances of finding riding buddies with similar proclivities
> for pace and difficulty; keeps the conversations interesting; and helps you discover lots of new
> routes to ride.
>
> --
> Greg Dunn
>

> "Marci Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am wondering where a person would live if their priority was to live in an area that had a
> > large number of recumbent riders. I wish I could say that I live in such an area but I don't. I
> > often see posts talking about the group rides and frankly I am envious!!!!! I know of about 5
> > total recumbent riders in our area and about 3 of them are very non performance oriented riders
> > ( I mean really non-performance riders that ride about 6 to 7 miles per hour max speed). I think
> > it must be fun to live in a place where there is an actual recumbent club and regular rides.
> > Anyone know where these places are? I get the feeling that somewhere in Florida is one of
> > them??? Marci

>> you spend less time handling logistics and more time reading.

Uh..."riding". [Doh!]

--
Greg Dunn

I'd like some info on this outfit! Jen, who just ordered her Volae Cleam and I (Rans rocket
extraordinaire) live on the southwest Siyeeed. Bridgeview, actually. We fairly regularly start a
ride in Palos Hills, loop down through the preserves to oak forest, then take the roads down to old
plank, then head west until we feel like stopping for a Mojo bar...

> The Chicagoland area has two unofficial groups; I ride with The Chicagoland Recumbent Riders
> South. We have had up to thirteen riders on some of our rides.

COWS (Couples On Wheels) just held its annual rally in Port Washington, WI (20 north of Milwaukee).
I've made most of these rallies for the past 5 years or so and have definitely noticed more tandem
rebcumbents each year. Of the 105 teams (210 riders) I would guess nearly half of them were
recumbents this year. This group tends to be ..uhmm.. a more mature set of folks but nearly half of
the riders did the metric century route.

Cream City Cycle Club in Milwaukee is noted for having fairly aggressive weekend rides (but not as
aggressive as the racing crowd) and the number of recumbents seems to be growing in that group also.
The 2 ride coordinators both ride recumbents.

Of course, Wisconsin is by far the best place in the world for road touring - endless miles of paved
farm roads with low auto traffic and terrific scenery (winter is a little bit of a problem).