Where do they come from

Desertrider 119

Jan 5, 2011
Went out to ride today, and damn, a flat front tire. It turned out to be caused by small sliver of wire about the diameter of a needle. It has happened before, but I've never been able to figure out where or how I'm picking them up. I ride on highways and remote roads, like Route 66, here in Northern Arizona. You folks have any idea where these very small slivers of wire might come from???

They probably come off of steel-belted radial tires on vehicles--very worn tires.

Jason

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

They probably come off of steel-belted radial tires on vehicles--very worn tires.

Jason

Absolutely correct. I've had a couple of those...little bastards. Actually had one that was long enough...I'm riding along...tick....tick...tick was the length of excess wire hitting the freame as it went by.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Jason
Yep.

Ultragator skin or equivalent eliminate these in total, but not glass.

Tyre liners help even more but its all at the cost of weight on your rims.

I have made it a habit to never run over anything. I include a leaf, cigarette butt, a pebble, if its on the road I try to avoid it. If its a black item it may be a piece of a steel belted radial tire. These little buggers can hide under a leaf or pice of paper etc. too. If I am on a road where big trucks travel I am especially careful. Your results could be different. good luck.

I had a similar experience last summer, three in a few days with the same
size, small wire. Turned out to be from a dumpster behind the mall that
I rode by on my way home each day. They were from the staples that
hold the padding on new furniture. I stopped and checked and sure enough
the little beggars were all over the place. Changed my route and no more
flats.

By watching for things in the road, glass, nails, etc,, I manage to pick up
a good bit of change each day, sometimes as much as a dollar in pennies,
nichols and dimes and a rare quarter now and then.

Originally Posted by Phil85207 .

I have made it a habit to never run over anything. I include a leaf, cigarette butt, a pebble, if its on the road I try to avoid it. If its a black item it may be a piece of a steel belted radial tire. These little buggers can hide under a leaf or pice of paper etc. too. If I am on a road where big trucks travel I am especially careful. Your results could be different. good luck.
You must have incredible falcon like eyes to see a small hair size steel wire on a dirty road buzzing along at 25mph or so. With your habit of not running over anything must really mean you don't ride at all for fear of running over something.

Thanks guys, Unfortunately I guess there is not much to do about slivers of wire on the road. Gota just be part of the price to pay for enjoying riding. I must add that I now carry a very small pair of needle nose pliers to pull the little bastards out of the tire..