Where do we start??

dswhitesell

Jun 6, 2011
We live in a small rural town. Our 14 year old has been long distance riding now for 2 years...I have suggested he start getting into doing some long distance races/competitions. He has been riding bikes we get from the trash (my hubby works for a sanitation co.) We are now ready to buy him something more geared towards more serious cycling. What would be a good first bike to get him ?? he is used to riding black top to gravel roads and everything in between. He rides for miles and miles :) he has high functioning Autism and is VERY focused on biking and wants to take it to the next level. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome...from types of bikes to helmets to clothing. We are not rich by any means but are willing to do some overtime to get what he needs reasonably, but also want him to be safe. We are very serious about helping him with his love of cycling.

Any Helmet your son would be happy wearing is perfect. All helmets sold in the US meet ANSI safety standards.

Mountain bikes are the most versatile bikes and can withstand any type of riding your son may do. The cost of a brand new entry level mountain bike would set you and your husband back less than any other type of bike.

Cell phones are important in case he has a mechanical emergency.

Water bottles and cages are important if he is riding long distances he needs to have water.

As far as clothing goes so long as he is dressed appropiate for the weather he should be fine. If he is interested in in wearing cycling specific clothing I would suggest you look at the online retailers such as Nashbar and see what he likes from the discounted lines.

Any form of competition would be a good starting point. As long as his bike is safe (brakes work, wheels run true/round, gears change well and wont jam, tires are not worn through to the casing and have no big cuts in them) then a helmet, pair of mitts, bags of enthusiasm and a license is all that's really required. While it's true that the bike does make a difference it's not always as big of a difference as most would like to believe, especially after spending thousands at a good bike store getting a fancy bike. On a road bike, a good rider and their ability will trump a lesser rider on a fancier bike most of the time.

When you're at events you'll probably notice the same folks there and get a feel for which bike clubs are in your area. Some have programs for younger riders that include some help from coaches or experienced riders and some clubs offer support, via arrangements with local bike stores with help via discounts or the odd freebie. Being around other families who are out there with their kids you'll also start to hear of equipment that's for sale - either because someone needs a bigger bike or because someone thought they needed a better one...

As far as racing goes it's all good. If he's used to riding on gravel as well as regular black top then maybe some winter cyclo-cross is in his future or even mountain biking.

Although we all like to believe our kids will make the Pro ranks, I'm not sure that posting in the Professional Cycling section would get this post the most views. The Cycle Training section might be more apt :) But hey, welcome to Cycling Forums!

Thank you for your reply !! Cell phone= check....he NEVER leaves here without it...it was one of our rules when he started this 2 years ago that he always have one on him. Water bottles = Check....we make sure he has enough water and he will call us if he needs more. Clothing...we will check into Nashbar. Helmets...now here is where we have run into a problem....finding one that doesn't make him sweat so much...so we will keep searching for this and trying out different ones!! Mountain bikes....we will look into this as well....we have purchased some mountain bikes in the past (not all were from the garbage!!) but he goes through them so fast, wears them out, rides hard, we were continually trying to find bikes FAST to replace the ones he has worn out as he rides daily for miles !! :) Thank you for your input...it is much appreciated!!

Swampy,

Thanks for your reply!! I'm new to all this, so I posted in the first forum I found !! I figured the best advice would be from those who have "been there, done that" and you all had to start somewhere right!!?? I've always taught my son to dream big...so we are!! I will certainly post also in the cycle training forum..thank you for that advice!! Anything he acomplishes is a bonus and I told him two years ago if he sticks with this for two years we will go the next step...rain, heat, even in the winter when the streets are decent enough..he's begging to go out there and ride!! We are also going to purchase a bike he can ride inside when the weather is really bad...he loves it THAT much!!

We will be checking the area for bike clubs.....I have a feeling though we will possibly have to travel a bit to find such a club...but it's definitely worth it, he has proven to us that this isn't just a passing fancy....someone as young as him who has been focused on riding for two years straight, in all weather, has proven that to us!!

Winter cyclo-cross...never heard of it!! I'm sure there will be alot we haven't heard of....but we are willing to learn so we can help him find something he really loves. Thank you so much for the advice..it's MUCH appreciated !!

[SIZE= 14px]Fantastic that you and your husband recognize your son’s enthusiasm for cycling. That alone will give him the confidence he needs to explore the competitive side of the sport. Like all sport, at times he will be reassured of his own abilities and full of self-doubt at others. Many parents are too busy with day-to-day living to recognize and support children’s passions/interests. So kudos![/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]From the little information available it would be hard for anyone to provide a lot of detail for you. A good starting point is to honestly assess his current talent. By “long distance”, do you mean that he has good endurance and enjoys long recreational rides without fatigue, or is he constantly pushing himself to find his limits? Will he like being in an environment where he is challenged, that is somewhat structured, and has a lot of social dynamics? If he rides solo now, the dynamics of competition and group riding may or may not be comfortable for him. If there is a cycling club or team at his school that would be an excellent place to sample competitive/group cycling. If not, a local cycling club would be worth investigating to give you and your son a feel for what he would be getting into. Local bike shops often know riders who are active in local clubs and can help you make contact.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Choosing a bike will depend on what he is riding now and his level of talent. Some people leave fairly good quality bikes at curbside for pick up and some are not so good. A bike that fits him well, with reasonably low friction bearings in the rotating components will be a major change if he doesn’t have that now. Bearings, tires, gears, chain, pulleys are all going to wear with high mileage riding – even with a more expensive bike. There’s no current solution for that and the more expensive the components generally the more expensive they are to maintain. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]If the terrain is hilly where you live (or where he will train/race), then a bike that isn’t 30+ lbs may help him be more competitive (depending on what others are riding and the cycling discipline he participates in). At 14, he may still be in his growth spurt, so unless he’s an “undiscovered talent”, you will probably want to be reasonably conservative with the investment you make. If you have the funds, get him a bike that has “race proven” components and is durable. Shimano 105 components and a more popular frameset in racing circles should hold resale value better than a “no name” or components below 105 level. That can be a factor if he decides racing really isn’t his interest, or he grows out of the bike (physically or talent-wise) and you find that you or he needs to fund a replacement bike in a year or two. Like any investment it is subject to the whims of the market so spending more isn't gong to guarantee anything. Most important, go with what fits the family budget first. If he takes to racing, there will be travel expenses and other costs associated with events that you will need to be prepared for in addition to the bike. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]With regard to helmets. A helmet won’t make him “safe”, but it is a risk mitigation tool. His skill in handling the bike, judgment, and awareness of surroundings will be far more beneficial in determining his safety than a helmet. But in case of the unexpected, a helmet can almost always help. Snell rated helmets generally offer the highest degree of protection (as defined by testing protocols). They are generally less aerodynamic and not as cool to wear because they have fewer vent holes. Also, Snell certification is expensive and has not generated a lot of market demand over the last 20 years because of the cost and designs. Many manufacturers no longer submit for Snell certification. CPCS/ANSI is the minimum “approval” required for US sales. Non-motorsports helmets have become somewhat of a “fashion statement”. People don them so they don’t look like a “dope” or get ridiculed, but they have no real understanding of how and why they work. It is all about risk mitigation and “the odds”. So don’t get too concerned about which helmet. Select one that is comfortable for him, fits, and meets the minimum standards at least. They are “one-strike” tools, so if he bonks it with any degree of impact – replace it. The foam cells absorb energy which helps to slow the brain speed before it slams into the skull if the head suddenly decelerates during a fall. The objective is to reduce the potential for concussion or hematoma. Once the foam cells are crushed – even a little – the intended protective value is gone or severely diminished. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Sounds like he is gong to have a great time pursuing his passion! Nice family story.[/SIZE]

Sitzmark,

He is definitely constantly pushing himself to find his limits....He is not your usual casual rider....He likes a challenge for sure ...he is all for speed and endurance....but he does have his moments of casual riding and gawking at the scenery. His usual daily ride is 25 to 40 + miles as we will not let him go any further than that because of major highways etc but as he gets older we are allowing him more and more freedom...it is not uncommon for him to ride to the next town over and back (12 miles RT) then to swan lake (10 miles RT) then to his friends out in the country (7 miles)and back and then another trip to the next town and back (19 miles RT) or....just a one trip thing to the next town 20 miles there and 20 back and then to all his favorite biking places out in the country... He has been alone on his endevor thus far, not caring that no one else enjoys his passion for cycling his school has nothing like this just the usual basketball, football, wrestling. He is also not a follower by any means..he thinks outside the box and cares not if anyone else understands or shares his passion.....So when we brought up the idea of joining a cycling club...he had not a clue anything like that even existed and was excited to know others thought the same way he does!!

The last two years he has grown almost a foot....he is now 5' 10 1/2 and weighs 130 lbs. he is currently riding the latest "garbage" find as his other mountain bike has seen it's last days....we've got all the sanitation drivers on the look out for any bikes they find!! He's gone through 3 bikes in the last two months a huffy stalker, a Huffy Trail Tech and a Univega 300 Rover....he is hard on his bikes !! So yes we want to be conservative about the amount of money we spend as I know they too, will probably last just as long!!.

Just looking for a helmet that doesn't make him sweat so much.....I as a mother make him wear a hemet in case of an accident...it's a "mom thing" I know!! Never knew that about helmets that if they get bonked once to replace them...great tip!! I'm going to re-read your post and take some notes for sure!! Thank you for your input!!

Just to add a few things.

You and he will need to sort out the type of riding / racing he wants to do, and then get a bike for that. Sounds like he enjoys riding on the road, in which case you should get a road bike with drop handlebars - a previous poster mentioned Shimano 105 components which would be ample. He might want to go on some group rides to see how he likes it - some of those group rides go pretty fast and he might get dropped - I hope that wouldn't discourage him because everyone on this forum has been dropped at some point or other in their biking life.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned clipless pedals yet but you might want to look into that at some point when the time is right - that will require special shoes as well which cost $$ so maybe that should wait until he stops growing or really decides he wants them. Also, you mentioned that he takes water with him but does he take food? The longer one is out there and the harder one goes the greater the need to eat on the bike. He can have little sandwiches or energy bars (more expensive - I use Cliff Bars but you can make your own - check out recipes on the web). I also put a mix in the water for longer rides to get some energy and electrolyte replacement. You can lose a lot of salt (and other important things) on hot days and he might want to think about replacing it. Again, mixes are expensive but there are sites on the web that tell you how to make your own - I used to use orange juice, water and a pinch of salt.

You also mentioned about getting him a bike so he can ride indoors. Rather than buy something like that, you can instead buy a bike trainer and he can put his bike on the trainer. There are different kinds of trainers - wind trainer, magnetic trainer and fluid trainer. Fluid trainer is the best in that it's the quietest with a resistance curve that most resembles an outdoor ride. Fluid trainers are also the most expensive though - you can search the web for information. (I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine so if you search for that you'll at least see what a bike trainer looks like). It may be cheaper than buying him and indoor cycling machine though.

If he ever does ride inside, he'll find that he sweats hugely so you'll need a big fan in front of him to help cool him off and a rubber mat under the bike to protect the floor. Also access to water and towels. It's mind numbingly boring though.

He also might enjoy having a bike computer on his bike. This will tell him how fast he's going and how far he's gone - I feel a bit lost when mine isn't working right. These are pretty cheap - you can probably get one for around $25 or so. And if the bike it's on craps out, you can just take it off and put it on the next bike.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by dswhitesell .

...it's a "mom thing" I know!!
I know - my mother was (is still) a "cluck" (as in mother hen) too. When he leaves the nest he can decide what is right for him, but for now.... :)

There are compromises with the Huffy bikes - they're heavy, the machined surfaces like bearings aren't so precise, the shifting systems are not very "crisp" - so he'll notice a significant difference with a bike built for higher performance. I started my road riding on a bike similar to the Univega 300. Mine was (is-still have it) a 20 year old Trek 930. I made some component upgrades - especially hubs/wheels/tires - that made a big difference. I spent more than $500 all told, which was fine for me, but not what I would suggest for your son. I also built a nice modern road bike and there is no comparison - light, responsive, low rolling resistance, and crisp shifting. Those will be important for your son if he races.

Good luck and keep us posted on his continuing experiences with cycling!

My suggestion would be to get him a nice entry level road bike. Getting him out to ride with a group is also important. I think there are several factors as to why he is going through so many bikes. The first is quite clearly the bike. While Huffy was once a good bike, it now leaves something to be desired. A nicer bike will last longer. In addition, he may be unduly hard in the bike. Riding with some other folks may help him to pick up riding and bike care tips. He may take to bike maintenance and repair with the same vigor he has to cycling. If so, it'd save you quite a bit in money spent for repairs and maintenance at a bike shop. If he isn't interested in working on the bike, the coat of tune ups And regular maintenance is well worth it. The bike will last much longer if it is properly Maintained. Of course with his current bikes it does not matter too much, but with a nicer new bike it will be important.

Originally Posted by dswhitesell .

The last two years he has grown almost a foot....he is now 5' 10 1/2 and weighs 130 lbs. he is currently riding the latest "garbage" find as his other mountain bike has seen it's last days....we've got all the sanitation drivers on the look out for any bikes they find!! He's gone through 3 bikes in the last two months a huffy stalker, a Huffy Trail Tech and a Univega 300 Rover....he is hard on his bikes !! So yes we want to be conservative about the amount of money we spend as I know they too, will probably last just as long!!.

Just looking for a helmet that doesn't make him sweat so much.....I as a mother make him wear a hemet in case of an accident...it's a "mom thing" I know!! Never knew that about helmets that if they get bonked once to replace them...great tip!! I'm going to re-read your post and take some notes for sure!! Thank you for your input!!
Helmets really don't make you sweat much more than not wearing one. When you go hard for a long period of time you get hot and you sweat - there's no way around it. The kid will sweat and mom will be left with lots of sweaty clothes to wash. That's just the way it is... ;)

When you say he's hard on bikes, what happens to them? Sounds like the purchase of something like this book would be a worthy purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1884737706

There's also lots of information online at places like Park Tools, Shimano and velonews on how to adjust and fix things...