Where do you buy Cycling clothes and shoes???

jonson

Banned
Nov 5, 2010
Where do you buy Cycling clothes???
No matter from store or internet shopping website!

Look man, I'm not out to score style points, or show the world that I can buy expensive bike boutique ****, or look like a drug store racer. I use to buy my jerseys from Walmart but they've gone to crappy built jerseys now, so I've gone to Target who has better quality. A Target jersey made of 100% polyester for $15 is just as good at removing sweat as a $80 jersey made of 100% polyester no matter what kind of fancy words they give it. I know because I have expensive and cheap ones and I can't tell the difference; unless you compare wool, but that stuff ain't polyester so there is no comparison.

I get my shorts and pants from who ever has the best prices on the internet and not at my LBS because they want at least 50% more then the internet stores. You can't go cheap with shorts/pants/bibs because you need good padding.

My favorite stores for clothing is Nashbar, JensonUSA, Price Point, Department of Goods (sometimes this place is cheaper then Target for jerseys and you get the biker look), and Sierra Trading Post. Just look for closeouts, clearance, specials, and coupons.

I buy from my LBS, from Colorado Cyclist,Excell Sports, Performance, Nashbar, Jenson USA and others. I usually buy from the closeout section or sales with coupons.

hi I'm new to this and don't see my posts- and it says I need approval?? Any way as long as your confident with a brand and know the costs, online is great. Local bike shops can't always have your fav gear. a great place that sells casual bike clothing with some witty slogans and cool designs is www.apresvelo.com

Cloths I usually buy from my lbs. I want to make sure it fits properly. Components well that is a different story.

Originally Posted by miha- .

Definitely buy them on web stors. First I go to local dealer to try them, than I buy them where is cheaper.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk
http://www.bike24.de
http://www.kalahoo.eu

:)
I think this is stealing. You are going into a store using a clerks time which they are being paid for and going elsewhere predetemined to make a purchase. I bet you dont tell them you are going to purchase those shoes elsewhere because you know this is wrong to begin with.

If the local shop would have normal prices, I would definitely buy from them.
Sorry but I think all the people, who are buying shoes and that sort of stuff are doing the same.
If this is stealing for you, ok, I am stealing :)

Reactions: livetheride
I'm glad someone else spoke up about Wal-Mart and Target. I knew of Wal-mart as I've recently seen cycling shorts but not Target, I'll have to try some of those jerseys. To a degree they are all the same but Luis Garnuea or however you spell it is pretty damn good quality and lasts and lasts, wash after wash, ride after ride, year after year and I can usually find $80-$100 shorts for less than half their retail full price, LG brand, on sale at Performance. I would never take my bike in for a tune up to any Performance Bike shop, that'll always be the real lbs but for quality clothing at a cost much less than the lbs, I'm all about it.

Good news about Target stocking cycling garments. They are building a new store about 3 miles from me. I will definetly check this out.

Your LBS has higher prices because they have to pay rent for a commercial building and they have more cost than an internet business. That is why I but my cloths from my LBS I want to try the stuff on and that is worth the extra money. If everyone was like you then there would be no LBS for you to try your cloths on.

I do not think that you are stealing and many people do that but i feel it is just wrong. This is just my personal feeling.

Originally Posted by miha- .

If the local shop would have normal prices, I would definitely buy from them.
Sorry but I think all the people, who are buying shoes and that sort of stuff are doing the same.
If this is stealing for you, ok, I am stealing :)

[COLOR= #0000ff]Whether or not I use a LBS, and whether I then go to an online store to make the purchase, depends on 2 things. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]1) If they have my size. Many bike shops don't carry plus-size clothing; so what I do is go in to find styles I like, mark down the brand name, etc., and then try to find them online in my size. I obviously don't have a choice to buy there, so even if someone helps me, I can't return the favor and make them a commission. If the clerk has been REALLY helpful and spent much time with me, though, I would buy a non-clothing item from them just so they don't feel like they've wasted their time totally.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]2) The attitude and helpfulness of the sales clerk. I believe in reciprocation, and if a clerk has been extremely courteous and helpful, I really want to buy something from them because most of them do work on mainly commissions. I have even been known to make sure I know the clerk's name, call the manager of the store, and give them a glowing recommendation, which helpfully will be noted in their chart for upcoming evaluations and possible raises. If, however, there was NO help from a clerk -- like yesterday, when I spent 2 hours in REI wondering from rack to rack, trying to find clothing, without a single person acknowledging my existence -- or even resentful help, like I got from Kinectic BIkes here when, while trying to buy a BIKE, the clerk acted like I was wasting his time -- then I have no qualms about leaving their store and making my purchases online, even if I tried on the clothing in the store. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]As an aside, I think part of the reason I'm ignored is because I'm a) pushing 60, and b) overweight, and I think the clerks take one look at me and think something along the lines of "Yeah, like she's gonna buy anything for exercising." Even when I bought the jersey and jacket yesterday at REI, as we were checking out the cashier totally assumed that they were for my husband. When he said that they were nice, smiling at my husband, I said, 'Yes they are, and I'm really going to enjoy biking in them." He could barely conceal his shock; it was actually pretty comical watching him try. So a holler to you, if you're reading this and work in a bike store: Not Everybody who's old and fat sits in their recliners all day eating bon-bons and cashing Medicare checks, so take a lesson! I've now spent over $1,000 on my bike and accessories for her and cycling clothing, and in the first 3 stores we went in, we couldn't GET anybody to help us. Two of them, when we finally pinned them down and said what I wanted, promised to order bikes for me and then call me back. I never heard from them. $1,000 might not be a ton of money to some stores in purchases, but the thing is, if they're losing $1,000 from me by ignoring my requests for help, how many other times have they lost it from other customers? In today's economy, the managers might want to think about that. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Anyway, sorry for the rant, lol. Those are the conditions for my shopping online versus the stores. OH -- and I just found some fabulous deals on things from Sierra Trading Post -- which, incidentally, has great online customer service![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy bike-shopping, y'all![/COLOR]

Hey Sierra,
Unfortunately It doesn't help that you are a woman, regardless of your size. I am tall, lean, with long levers. I'm a bike racer with the resume and leg muscles to prove it, and I have walked into bike shops only to be treated as invisible (or stupid) by the staff, presumably because I am a girl (guys always seem to get more attention in bike shops). Now there are only two shops in the area where I would ever go (one is the shop I race for) because I am friends with the owners and the staff knows to treat me with respect.

Miha,
I understand your feeling that the LBS overcharges for clothing. I walk into "my" shop and am shocked (and sometimes offended) by the prices. I'm not rich and spend way too much of my salary on this sport to be able to justify spending $100 on a pair of gloves, for example. I want to give my shop business, because, like I said, I am friends with the owner, know how much he is paying to rent his space, and have gotten plenty of favors (they wash my bike, do free services, loan me all kinds of equipment, etc). But even with the club discount, I simply can't afford their stuff most of the time. I buy team clothing, and have bought other gear in a pinch, but otherwise I just have to shop on-line. I don't consider it stealing. I try to pay back the shop in other ways - I help run their clinics, recruit new club members, lead their rides, race in their kit, lead team workouts, etc.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Calico,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It's nice to know that it's not just because I'm old and fat on the one hand, lol -- and frustrating to know that even if I were still young and slender, I might be ignored in a bike shop. Sigh.... I would actually rather have somebody patronize me, I think, in the good-ol-boy manner of, "Let me help you, little lady, because you obviously couldn't know your way around a bike shop," which is at least POLITELY demeaning, than to act like I'm totally invisible. The one bike shop where every single employee treated me with dignity and respect and a desire to help is where I bought my bike. Unfortunately, they are so far away that sometimes I just can't drive an hour just to buy a pair of gloves, when Target is 3/4 mile away. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I shoulda been born rich instead of so darned good-lookin', lol. Because if I were, I'd buy the bad shops,fire the lousy employees, and make them all like the good one! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]In Sierra's world.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input. It's nice to know others share my pain, LOL. [/COLOR]