Where do you buy your cycling equipment from?

The $60 is pretty much a "lookover," lube and basic adjustments of cables and such. Parts extra. I had some problems with one of my older R600 shifters earlier this spring. I figured I was in for a replacement set, but he took it apart and was able to replace a few small parts and got me up and running for $68. This is the third guy in ten years trying to make a go of it in my neighborhood and he's always crowded and seems to be developing a growing clientele. I like when I say to replace something and he tells me it really doesn't need it. He started out about 6 years ago working out of his house and would do pick up / drop off. Business got good and he opened the store two years ago.

smile.gif
Im from queenland australia and i cycle for fun and also competitively with a club. im now doing 35k each morning for practice.what do you guys do for practice? 8)

------------------------------------

Lunettes De Soleil

We need more people like that. It's obvious without meeting the man that he has a passion in the cycling field. I need to find someone like that around here

I should add that the local bike shop is called the Bicycle Path. Shameless plug

___________________________________________________________________ "I've had many problems in my life, most of which were imagined." - Mark Twain Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

Thank goodness no one used this thread to slip in SPAM.... huh.
I don't think its such a horrible thing to support the local biking business and community. Of course that's just my opinion. :)

___________________________________________________________________ "I've had many problems in my life, most of which were imagined." - Mark Twain Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

Thank goodness no one used this thread to slip in SPAM.... huh.
Hahaha you will find spam everywhere on the internet now a days. Just part of the technology era.

Originally Posted by chuckdee .

I don't think its such a horrible thing to support the local biking business and community. Of course that's just my opinion. :)

I will give my local bike shop a visit. I will go with them until an experience where I think I have better options else where.

Hi,

I buy it from powerstaruk.com as it is cheaper and good. So, i personally prefer powerstaruk.com
hope it helps.

I usually take two trips to the LBS. One to order and purchase a bike and two to pick it up. I buy all my parts and accessories competitively on the net and do all my own wrenching and maintenance. If I could buy directly from the manufacture I would. Right or wrong thats just the way I do it.

Originally Posted by itsnt4me .

..... If I could buy directly from the manufacture I would. Right or wrong thats just the way I do it.
If I had the skills to make bicycles.... why on Earth would it be wrong to buy one from me?

There are many people just plain afraid of real change and progress [although they are generally first to brandish the words]. Many people forget that the fathers of flight [Orville and Wilbur] started out building bicycles in the back of the very LBS they sold them from.

The problem is we have centralized the manufacture of bicycles via International trade agreements. The current warehousing, shipping, distribution, retail sales, system is antiquated and inefficient. I don't know if the LBS will survive the changing times. But I believe LBS's are good for cycling. And I hope LBS's learn how to prosper in the changing times.

If I had the skills to make bicycles.... why on Earth would it be wrong to buy one from me?

There are many people just plain afraid of real change and progress [although they are generally first to brandish the words]. Many people forget that the fathers of flight [Orville and Wilbur] started out building bicycles in the back of the very LBS they sold them from.

The problem is we have centralized the manufacture of bicycles via International trade agreements. The current warehousing, shipping, distribution, retail sales, system is antiquated and inefficient. I don't know if the LBS will survive the changing times. But I believe LBS's are good for cycling. And I hope LBS's learn how to prosper in the changing times.
There will always be people who want instant gratification and those who are new and lack the knowledge to help them pick up the right bike for them so they go to the LBS for guidance from the "pros". I fall into the first catagory and tend to go to a Bike Shop for parts and accessories. But I have noticed that a lot of bike shops in my area stock fewer bikes and now only stock one or two of their best selling bikes in the most common sizes. The same holds true for clothing and shoes. If you are really large or really small, they will have to special order a bike or clothing for you.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

There will always be people who want instant gratification and those who are new and lack the knowledge to help them pick up the right bike for them so they go to the LBS for guidance from the "pros". I fall into the first catagory and tend to go to a Bike Shop for parts and accessories. But I have noticed that a lot of bike shops in my area stock fewer bikes and now only stock one or two of their best selling bikes in the most common sizes. The same holds true for clothing and shoes. If you are really large or really small, they will have to special order a bike or clothing for you.
I know... I see the same thing here. I really like the Local Bike Shops! One store I shop at is part of a national chain so they have a bit more selection. But the other two... can be very low of stuff on the shelf... particularly this time of the year. I have been on line since before you could buy anything on the WWW. I am comfortable with on line shopping. But I really prefer to go into the store and talk with the "pros"... like many others. I wish I had a solution!

kdelong said:
There will always be people who want instant gratification and those who are new and lack the knowledge to help them pick up the right bike for them so they go to the LBS for guidance from the "pros". I fall into the first catagory and tend to go to a Bike Shop for parts and accessories. But I have noticed that a lot of bike shops in my area stock fewer bikes and now only stock one or two of their best selling bikes in the most common sizes. The same holds true for clothing and shoes. If you are really large or really small, they will have to special order a bike or clothing for you.
It's likely the explanation for that is that some bike shops are in more difficult financial positions. Stocking a lot of frames means spending a lot of money on that stock. Narrowing the stock to only a select few brands might allow the LBS to get better deals by buying more from a given brand but fewer frames overall. Moreover, those models that don't sell well lose even more money as the dealers may be forced to sell them at a discount at the end of the year to make money to buy the next year's frames/bikes. It's not an easy position. They're making less money on accessories as more people are buying accessories online. No bike shops make a much money on clothing and shoes. Also, what's in a store is going to be a function of the size and interests of the local bicycling community. In Tucson, it's not unusual for the popular bike shops (I'm not counting Performance Bike as a bike shop. They're a huge chain and can thus afford to carry a few more brands and models, albeit brands and models that are in the middle to low range of the bicycle price spectrum. I expect they get a pretty good deal from Fuji, GT, Schwinn, and Diamondback. Likewise I'm sure their cost on their Scattante frames is pretty low.) to have 3,4,5 brands, maybe more, and to likewise have quite a few models and sizes. That makes sense when you consider the size of the cycling community there, the amount of money that visitors to Tucson spend on bicycle stuff, and so on. You have to figure, kdelong, that the size of the bike community and therefore the market in your part of Ohio is comparatively small. Even in my part of Ohio, with the close proximity to a national park and a fairly large number of riders, the stock in local bike shops is pretty disappointing.