Where Do You Buy Your Used Cycling Equipment?

PanjoJames

Oct 12, 2015
California
Hey Cycling Forum!

New User. I recently rebuilt my Felt Z95 with parts from Merlin Cycles over in the UK. I bought my drivetrain new because I couldn't find what I was looking for in the used markets I was familiar with. Just curious, how do you go about acquiring used parts?

Thanks!

James, Community Manager at Panjo

http://www.panjo.com/p/bikeclub

Have you searched your local area for these used equipment? I think that is the best way to go. Or if you know some online stores that cater to this kind of trade then much better. Sometimes it would be difficult searching online as not all of the stores have online presence.

Hey Keyan:

I agree, going local is really important. I got my '76 Nishiki on Craigslist and that was a lucky find. But that also came after about 6 or 7 flakes or less-than-genuine experiences. So when I was looking for a more high-end model, I wanted to go through a different/easier process.

Do you know of any good online/used stores? Seems like its mostly ebay, craigslist, and then local forums... or friends :).

Local markets or car boot sales might be a good place to look for what you need. It's bit of a hit and miss but you might get lucky.

Also your local bike shop might be able to offer something or know of someone or somewhere that has what you need.

Susimi:

Thanks! Yeah, it is always kind of hit or miss with local markets. I am always really happy to stumble across something I didnt expect, but that isn't always the case. Same with local shops used selections, its always random! But with a little luck, it is the best! That is how I acquired my Felt Z95.

someone else suggested swapmeets and I foresee a similar problem: lack of consistency and narrow selection. but hey, the price is right and you are supporting locals!

PanjoJames said:
Hey Cycling Forum!

New User. I recently rebuilt my Felt Z95 with parts from Merlin Cycles over in the UK. I bought my drivetrain new because I couldn't find what I was looking for in the used markets I was familiar with. Just curious, how do you go about acquiring used parts?

Thanks!

James, Community Manager at Panjo

http://www.panjo.com/p/bikeclub
Panjo, you buyin' or are you sellin'?

WTF is a Panjo? I mean...I know what a Banjo is...

Somewhere in Santa Monica at the end of historic Route 66, Panjo’s dozen employees are busily toiling away every day just to please you.
And it all started with one man’s fixation. Panjo Co-founder Chad Billmyer is a hybrid and electric car enthusiast. (His first car was a bright red 2000 Honda Insight.)
After turning to web-based communities to learn how to get better gas mileage out of his hybrid, Billmyer quickly learned that buying and selling with fellow auto enthusiasts left much to be desired: Sellers flaked. Communication was slow. Payments were difficult.

Billmyer thought there had to be an easier, safer, and less frustrating way to buy and sell among like-minded community members.
So Chad set out to build a community of community marketplaces that removed the fragmentation, frustration and fraud from more singular enthusiast transactions.
With the support of cofounders Juan Vasconez, a computer hardware enthusiast, and Tom Gerken, an epicurean, Panjo was born.

It must have something to with food. Who else would employ an epicurean?

Or am I thinking of someone that works in a nail salon? Or in a saloon?

Hmmm? In Santa Monic anything is possible. So...seekers! Shop for your used bike parts on Panjo!

A shitmaNO brake caliper for $50! Deal!

A right side pannier for $75! And a left side for $45! DEAL!

A 5 year old Spesh Roubaix with some kind of SRAM for only $1100! Zertz!!!

This is killer shopping, folks!

Hello, my name is Jorge Solis. I would recommend BikeMasters and BikeWorld. They are fairly small companies but they have great customer service and always ship their orders on time! Best of luck!

Used equipment is also something that I try to avoid after buying things in the past only to be let down within a few months of purchase.

Now I prefer the old fashioned way of saving up to buy new. Either that or the emergency credit card comes out!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I definitely understand wanting to buy new rather than used. In the past I have bought the majority of my stuff used but recently I started buying more new stuff. I am still not quite sure which I prefer. Really appreciate the feedback.

My resources for this are various. I go online and use sites like e bay but custom made for my country. The names are kupujemprodajem, kupindo, limundo etc. I also use adds i find online as well and my former bike i bought like this. Another thing i like to do is to go around the city and search the walls where people share their adds, because some older people do not use internet and they still sell stuff. Yet another option for me is to go and find some waste yard that have old and broken bikes. You can actually find some good parts because people throw all together only because transmission was broken. The last option is a free market where they sell stolen bikes fom other cities. My bike was stolen several months ago and it was probably sold in some other town.

eBay and craigslist is chock full of new and used bike parts. They have been the 'go to' sites for buyers and sellers for years.

All of the English websites and many bike shops in America and a couple of the big 'name' American cyber retailers off their test ride, shop floor models, demo gear and what not both online and in-store. The Clymb is also home to new, discontinued, short runs, whacked colors, etc. cycling clothing. If you're lucky enough to be 4' 2" tall and weigh 79 pounds or be 6' 6" tall and weigh 370 pounds there will definitely be good deals for your 99.5 percentile body to wear.

I can see buying high-end stuff for restoration work, building up a collectible or something like that, but even then I would tend to roll with NOS items. It's not like there is a scarcity of retro anything in cycling due to the very low demand. You want a blue-over-chrome 56 Cm San Rensho track bike with keirin geometry? All you have do is type the words into that magical finder of all things lust-worthy, Google, and in 0.72 seconds 1.2 million hits are delivered to your screen.

Just WTH is a panjo?

pwarbi said:
Used equipment is also something that I try to avoid after buying things in the past only to be let down within a few months of purchase.

Now I prefer the old fashioned way of saving up to buy new. Either that or the emergency credit card comes out!
I'm pretty much the same way, I rarely buy used stuff anyway. I like to be be able to have a warranty and stuff like that. Especially buying used equipment online, you never know who you'll run into or if you'll be scammed out of your money. I might seem paranoid a bit, but my methods are always safe so I don't really care.

I usually buy my cycling equipment online but I have mostly avoided buying used equipment because of poor quality. Sometimes back I could buy used equipment only to find out that they were not the original equipment that I needed. That made me to review any brand before I could buy it. I came to learn why warranted equipment was recommended which made me to change my mind and always go for new equipment.

Usually I only buy used equipment from people I know, I don't go online getting used parts. If it's someone I trust fine, if not I just go for new, it's not that expensive.