Where do you do most of your bike related purchases?

jthompson190

Jul 19, 2011
I scanned through a few pages to see if this topic has been brought up, but I didn't find anything. If I missed one I apologize and would appreciate a link, otherwise;

I've been recently spending most of my money at REI as I have a membership there and everything costs about the same as one of the LBSs. However their selection of cycle related items is a bit minimal and like just about everything else, if you buy online you can get better deals more often than not. So I was just wondering if you have a favorite website that's reliable. Thanks a bunch.

Few websites I know of are; Performancebike.com, Campmor.com, and Bikes Direct.com.

For bicycle accessories, I like Performance but we have one of their stores close by. I have also used eBay a lot and my local bike shops. I am fortunate to have six different shops near by that I can go to. For bicycles, I tend to go with used. Bikes don't hold their value at all. They depreciate faster than automobiles, and I like restoring them. When I am in the market for a new bike, I look at Craig's List, yard sales, and eBay. EBay purchases are a little risky, even for seasoned veterans because photos rarely ever show things like corrosion or dull paint. But if you know the specs of the bike that you are looking at and the size that you need, you can do well on eBay, but you will probably need to do a little work on the bike to make it rideable again and you will need to tweak it to fit you.

Well, I don't shop bike accessories online. I would always recommend you to buy the bike related parts from a nearby shop. You will be able to judge the quality of the parts and you can also bargain with the shopkeeper. Even if parts get out of good condition within the warranty period, you can change them easily as the shop would be nearer to your home. :)

I buy online most of the time. I disagree with rajeshcycles, you cannot ever get a price close to online from an LBS unless it's small parts that cost less than $20, and LBS's rarely will negotiate a lower price unless you're buying a bike with the parts. In addition I get better service from online shops then I do with most LBS's, and with Performance and Nashbar you get hassle free return policy for life of the product, try doing that at your LBS. I couldn't even return a pair a shoes I got from an LBS I never wore, but they said I took them home so their mine, that would have never happened at Performance or Nashbar or a lot of other online stores. And judging the parts is nonsense, if you get the same brand that an LBS carries from a online store you get the same part no judging necessary.

BUT I would never go to an LBS and pick the brain of the sales person then go and buy it online, that's ripping off the salesrep of their commission for their time and advice.

Yes, I completely agree with you @rajeshcycles that if any of the parts or even your bike got damage, then the shopkeeper will send it to the service center and you will get the bike like it is new and it may be possible that the shop owner may know you and he may give a fair discount on shopping from his/her shop. My advice is that, but from the local shops.

I feel like if you know a lot about bikes and bike parts you can find great deals at local pawn shops and yard sales. Online shopping would probably be a great fit for you as well. I, however, know little about bikes but enjoy biking, so I go to a shop that sells nothing but bikes. I feel like you can find a wider variety and usually they will fit you to your bike and help you pick out the accessories you need. Hope that helps!

There are several bike shops in our town and also in the city particularly in malls. But I always prefer to check the bikes (and accessories) on display in the nearby bike shops. In case I have an issue with a product, it is easy to resolve by going back to the shop. It is just fortunate that we have those bike shops here because they are usually only in the city and rarely found in suburbs.

Though buying online is cheaper if you factor in shipping costs for some people [like me] you wouldn't be saving any money. That's why I have to buy everything from a local bike shop and we have only one where I live as it's a small town. Compared to the better deals one can get online it can be a little annoying [having to pay more] but we have no choice.

Though buying online is cheaper if you factor in shipping costs for some people [like me] you wouldn't be saving any money. That's why I have to buy everything from a local bike shop and we have only one where I live as it's a small town. Compared to the better deals one can get online it can be a little annoying [having to pay more] but we have no choice.

I think it would be pretty ignorant of any reasonable intelligent person to buy online to save money and not figure in shipping, that just sounds too ridiculas, it's like saying you go to your LBS to buy stuff but don't figure in taxes. Sorry but your argument doesn't hold an ounce of water. I buy on online all the time, most of the time shipping is free and when it's not I still save a lot from getting at an LBS, and that savings is still a lot more even if I have to pay taxes plus shipping!

I do it at the local retail bike shops. Not only will you be helping local businesses and make friends along the way, you also get a warranty of those parts and services, and you won't have to worry about spending more for broken or defective parts that you may get through them. That's why I always return to the shop where I got mine, I get to be established as a loyal customer and get discounts and promos, all the while still getting a year long warranty on most items, which makes it easier to drive around worry free.

Online almost exclusively for me. The freight charges are offset by the usually lower prices than buying at my local bike stores. Last week I bought a Cervelo P3 online. Shopped around for the best price. Freight was free. The seller is a major bike store but about 600km away from me. Pedals for the bike came all the way from the UK to New Zealand. Freight was free and the price was a lot less than buying locally either online from a New Zealand seller or from a bike shop. Anything that requires trying on I buy from the bike shop e.g. the new helmet I bought to go with the new bike. That's one thing you do need to try on before you buy.

Online for components, accessory, & tools through Amazon & Bike Nashbar mostly. In person, mostly Performance, for clothing, shoes, and helmets. Shopping is mostly free and majority of the time I don't have to pay sales tax. I only go to the LBS if I need immediately gratification.

I usually go to my nearest sport store.
We have these in Europe, called Decathlon and I quite enjoy them, and being only a commuter and not a professional they can usually help me with my gear.

You can purchase bike stuff at Walmart. Walmart has most bicycle parts that you need to ride a bike. They have tire parts and bicycle pumps. They have bike lights and bike handle parts. They also have bike locks. Now if you need a gear wheel, then your going to have to go to a bicycle shop. I have to worn you that the price for that gear wheel is not going to be cheap.
I scanned through a few pages to see if this topic has been brought up, but I didn't find anything. If I missed one I apologize and would appreciate a link, otherwise;

I've been recently spending most of my money at REI as I have a membership there and everything costs about the same as one of the LBSs. However their selection of cycle related items is a bit minimal and like just about everything else, if you buy online you can get better deals more often than not. So I was just wondering if you have a favorite website that's reliable. Thanks a bunch.

Few websites I know of are; Performancebike.com, Campmor.com, and Bikes Direct.com.

I do it at the local retail bike shops. Not only will you be helping local businesses and make friends along the way, you also get a warranty of those parts and services, and you won't have to worry about spending more for broken or defective parts that you may get through them. That's why I always return to the shop where I got mine, I get to be established as a loyal customer and get discounts and promos, all the while still getting a year long warranty on most items, which makes it easier to drive around worry free.

This is too funny, like buying online gives you no warranty, geez how crazy do you think you sound to others who have purchased online? I've gotten better warranty service online then I have from most LBS's or even from any other retail store for non bike related items. Even with a loyal customer discounts, or even team discounts, they still don't come close to online prices most of the time. And PLEASE note, that means read, that I used the word MOST and not the word ALL; I can't believe I have to mention that but it never fails someone comes back and responds to say I said something that I didn't say.

I got everything I needed from decathlon, they have a loyalty card thing going too so you can get a bit of money back from your purchases to spend in their shop, like credit.

It's like a 10 minute walk from my house too, so that's great too, big massive warehouse looking shop full of everything you need.

I was having a hard time finding these sites. Thank you very much for recommending the websites.

I feel like Performance is pretty cool. And I'm pretty sure their prices attract a majority of people, but I could be wrong.

By the looks of things CAMPMOR doesn't provide a Paypal processing method, but I would like to know if this is true or not...Because I'd really like to use PayPal