Where do you live and how nice is it?

jhuskey said:
I sure that there are ,but they just call them restaurants.
LOL! Thank you. However, things have been going downhill here too, and it is possible to have a bad and expensive meal.

Leaving Rome it becomes more difficult, tho...

limerickman said:
I would much rather live in Rome but PP won't put me up!
Fair enough, but I will show you around and set your training regimen back by... oh about 5kgs in 2~3 days if you give me a chance. :D

lwedge said:
Aye! It's the Irish Spring.:D

Liam Neeson does a superb job in the movie, you will like I think. It gets a little corny at the end but overall the movie is enjoyable.

There is a 20 acre parcel just behind me an off to the side of the Bianchini's vineyard. Very nice, it's butted up against a hillside (more like a mountain). Great hiking and mountain biking up there. It's rutting (spelling) season now, so the Buck's are calling the Doe's.

TD,UCLA! What are you doing on line? I am going back down to the Plasma TV and watch so I can get warmed up for the SEC championship.
The wife is making some kind of soup with Italian Sausage.
It's gonna be a good evening!

JTE83 said:
Where do you live and how nice is it?...
Technically, I live in Perth, Western Australia, although I haven't spent much time there over the last 4 years.
I like Perth. I live down near the Port of Fremantle, which is at the mouth of the Swan River. Perth has some great beaches, and a climate that suits my sloth-derived metabolism.
Perth's isolation is both a handicap and an asset. It's relatively expensive to get anywhere from there, but, like the Smokies, we'll suffer our isolation. It is a very spread out city, with little in the way of high-rise buildings, or high-density residential areas, so it seems more like a small town.
At the moment I'm in Bata, Equatorial Guinea. It is a small town, situated on the coast of mainland Litoral, just South of Cameroon. There are currently only 2 occupied buildings over 4 stories high, and I live and work in one of them. The view out my office is over the coast of the Gulf of Guinea. Shopping is (very) limited, but beer is cheap, and readily available at any time of day or night, so my basic dietary needs are covered.
I usually take a bike with me when I travel, but haven't brought one over here yet. I picked up a unicycle in Aussie, which I'll bring over here once I learn how to stay on the bloody thing. There is not a lot of road over here (and there are restrictions on where you can go) but, since I can only ride about 1 metre at a time on the unicycle, before doing a headplant, the available road network should keep me going for a while.
I head back to Perth in a couple of weeks. I enjoy bouncing back and forth between the two places - I like them both.

Sevenrider said:
Upstate NY (Finger Lakes region) lots of good riding and climbing here. BRP is 475mi 50'000 ft of climbing.Add Slyline Drive another 105 mi not sure of elev there but it adds up.
Did the parkway in 6 days with wife sag,Just me and bike sweet ride!

I live in Livingston Co. NY. and love all the hills and great loops.

Check this out http://www.cyclingforums.com/t374752.html

I live about 25 miles north of New Orleans. It was a great place to be a kid about 30 years ago. Now it is a great place for your kid to be a target. My city is actually quite nice though. Very conservative in values, relatively low crime, & a 32 mile rails to trails bike path. Pre-Katrina, the cost of living was very low.

As for New Orleans, it sucks. Even more-so after Katrina. Beaucoup crime, criminally poor education system, a clown for a mayor(my apologies for the analogy Bozo) the corruption capital of the world, and after the storm a very depressing place to be. It is however where I grew up and I still have very deep family roots going back to the early 1800's. However, we a have a plethora of great restaurants, being a chef by trade that means a lot. The music scene is also top notch.

I must say, the wife & I are almost ready to throw in the towel and get out. I've been thinking about the Portland area. I have never been there and don't know a lot about it, but it seems like a great place. I need to learn more about it. I am a southern cajun boy used to 95-100% humidity & love to duck hunt & fish almost as much as.... well we won't get into that. The wife like the idea of Texas but parts of that are almost New Orleans west.

Isn't bike gear expensive in Australia? I would hate to live in Canada because it's often cold there. Chicago is nice enough for me except for the traffic and high cost of gas there. Plus property taxes are high but I don't know what to compare them too.

Gas in Bowling Green, KY $2.19
Gas in Chicago, IL $2.49 same day.

JTE83 said:
Isn't bike gear expensive in Australia? I would hate to live in Canada because it's often cold there. Chicago is nice enough for me except for the traffic and high cost of gas there. Plus property taxes are high but I don't know what to compare them too.

Gas in Bowling Green, KY $2.19
Gas in Chicago, IL $2.49 same day.
Some bike gear is expensive, but the internet making that less of an issue...gas is coming down in price...it's a good place to live in that the city is nice, food is phenomenal, it's a sporting mecca, the premier (mayor) is a cyclist (so funding is good), rich in art and culture etc etc.

Sevenrider said:
Cool, I'm in Steuben Co. live in Corning.We are next to Pa border so we ride there often.Are younear Rochester?

No, I'm 60 miles south of Rochester near the Allegheny Co. line.

I now live in Tenerife, off the coast of Africa... it's currently quite warm considering the time of year. ALL the roads are either up or down, so you really have to be fit. Right out my back door is a continuous 2300m climb, starting from sea level! :D :eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Fair enough, but I will show you around and set your training regimen back by... oh about 5kgs in 2~3 days if you give me a chance. :D

PP - those Roman ristorante's are a minefield !
Not to mention the gelato!

I live in Louisiana, which now is officially the un-healthiest state in the union. Talk about a reality check. I think I'll be moving now

brad g said:
I live in Louisiana, which now is officially the un-healthiest state in the union. Talk about a reality check. I think I'll be moving now

What, and give up all the crawfish and creole?

jersey city, nj. right across the hudson river from manhattan. love the easy access to nyc and all it has to offer (food, shopping, nightlife, museums, people, tons more). jersey city aint too bad either.

Kent, 'The Garden of England', rolling green hills, castles, quaint little villages and a coastline dotted with picturesque fishing villages.

Unfortanately I live bang in the middle in a stinkhole called Ashford or as the locals have renamed it 'Trashford', mind you we have a great cycling community and the Tour de France is comming through my town for a second time next year, so it's all swings and roundabouts :D (Mostly roundabouts!)

Howzit,

I live in Cape Town, RSA and this is a great city, the MTB ing is great. Lots of mountain trail rides and 4x4 trails that offer great views. The road biking offers rides around the peninsula as well as the famous rides out in the wine routes.

The weather is typical coastal so a cooking summer day cold be followed by rain the next and of course we are known for our wind. Winter is another story and the Name the Cape of storms is not used lightly scores of sailing ships wrecked on our coastlines during the 1800's prove the point. The citizens of Cape Town are a sporting lot and if you drive around the Peninsula over a weekend you'll see folks of all shapes and sizes, Boating, fishing (salt and fresh water), SCUBA diving, rock climbing, hiking, hang gliding, parrasailing, kyaking, cannoing and surfing to name a few.

As a MTBiker and Scuba diver and happily married father of two, a weekend is not quite long enough to cover every activity on offer. So Cape Town is quite laid back, buisiness men sneak off for a surf or a glass of wine at a wine farm, Wensdays afternoon is golf day for most and Fridays is sort of unofficially a half-day. Most guys like myself get up the mountain during the week after work and the roadies get out early before work to miss the traffic.

Yep! we love it here.:cool:

JTE83 said:
Where do you live and how nice is it?

I live in SF Bay Area (Santa Clara), California and I think it is as good as it gets. There are a lot of cyclists and so many great places to ride, great weather too :D