Where Do You Place The Shim On Ultegra 6700? Furious!

Kiefster

Aug 6, 2015
I'm no newcomer to the internet...I've downloaded 'art' since the BBS days, with AOL.

I've scoured the internet, google, youtube, yahoo, baidu, with no avail. The Shimano website has tech documents, but they don't look anything like what I am presented with in front of me.

I want to adjust the reach of the brake/shifter handle, I'm supposed to put a shim (which I have) into a slot that doesnt exist. I've managed to remove the top cap (which is held on by two small screws), and attached pictures. I can't see anywhere that allows me to put in the shims.

Can anybody help? I'm literally losing sleep over this. TIA

HMmmm ....

I would probably place BOTH the shims & shifters on eBay & then opt to replace the Shimano shifters with a pair of Campagnolo shifters as a permanent remedy to the immediate problem ... :)

FYI/AFAIK. Those shims are to facilitate SMALL hands ... basically, they are for really small, juvenille size hands OR sometimes a smaller woman's hands OR ____?____ ...

Is that YOUR situation?!?

FWIW. So, WHERE were you trying to put the shim?

Despite NOT knowing what the shim looks like, I believe that logic dictates that the shim goes behind the "head" of the brake lever ...

That is, the shim probably sleeves/attaches somehow over a part of the back of the working portion of the shift mechanism to cant/bump it forward and thereby pivoting the lever closer to the handlebar.

BTW/FYI. You may want to simply consider re-locating the levers to a different part of the handlebar's forward bend to facilitate a more comfortable reach when your hands are not on the hoods.

WHERE do you currently have the shifters located on your handlebars?

Reactions: BobCochran
^Thanks, but not exactly helpful...I need intel from someone who has actually worked on installing shims on the 6700s..

Yes obviously mechanically I know where they are SUPPOSED to go, but there simply isn't any groove (as shown in the Shimano manual) for the shim to wedge into. The shape doesn't look similar at all.

I've thought about relocating the levers, further down so I can brake easier from the drops...but I seriously don't want to retape the whole bar, hence the shims, which I had handy anyways.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I have the 6700 series at all (they came with a specialized allez), 2015 model. Can they possibly be an even older set of Ultegras??? WTF!

Well ...

if you cannot attach the shim to the back of the "head" of the lever, then can you attach it to the handle where the "head" would rest?

IF there isn't an obvious way to affix the shim to the the handle, then a dab of tub-and-tile-caulk or the semi-permanent adhesive of your choice will hold it in place.

IMO, if you don't have small hands, then I would think that RE-taping would certainly be easier than fretting over something as trivial as the shims (which I presume were packaged by SHIMANO & are actually for the levers and not some random pieces of plastic which you acquired).

BTW/FYI. Shimano's CUSTOMER SERVICE (in Irvine, CA) is VERY user-friendly ... they want you to be happy ... you should not hesitate to contact them.

^Thanks again, I may have to email/call Shimano directly to get to the bottom of this. The shims were supplied from the Specialized dealer, I asked the same question, are you absolutely sure these are the shims? The man said yes, they only use Shimano in the shop, and these were the only shims they have. I cross checked both the serial number on the shim and its appearance to the Shimano manuals, and they match up, but the images on the manual don't match up to what I see in front of me.

If you are talking about the rubber pad that stops the lever at a different position, the little tab on the on the pad goes in a hole under the end of the hood.

I found the best way to place them, is to place them on the top of the lever, at the place they are supposed to be and then pull the lever in reverse in order to lodge them under the end of the hood.

At least that's how it is with the 2300 levers...

You know -- you could have posted a photo of the "shim" and your brakes.

You can bring the "shim" or pad plus your bike to your local bike shop and ask them to install it for you. Simple, and effective.

Thanks

Bob

@Kiefster it would also help you a lot if you keep your communications positive. Drop the "Furious" in the post heading and don't use phrases like "...not exactly helpful" to someone who twice tried to give you help.

You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. :)

Thanks

Bob

alfeng said:
HMmmm ....

I would probably place BOTH the shims & shifters on eBay & then opt to replace the Shimano shifters with a pair of Campagnolo shifters as a permanent remedy to the immediate problem ... :)
Cute, but Volnix's response is a lot more helpful.

If I might add, there's probably a 1 mm shim in that hole as the lever came from Shimano, so your job is to remove that and replace it with a fatter one. This video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9Med-o5hk, shows how it works with older Shimano STIs (as well as Campagnolo and SRAM). The shape is different, but the concept is the same.

BobCochran said:
@Kiefster it would also help you a lot if you keep your communications positive. Drop the "Furious" in the post heading and don't use phrases like "...not exactly helpful" to someone who twice tried to give you help.

You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. :)

Thanks

Bob
Get stuffed, Bob.