Where do you set your front brake?

trinogt

Feb 29, 2012
I like to have my brakes ready to stop me as soon as I start pulling the lever... However, when I pull the brake quick release to remove my front wheel, I can't get the tire to clear the pads... It's as if the cam doesn't allow enough movement when released. My question to you all is, do you just adjust your pad clearance so that the tire can just sneak by with the open QR, meaning more lever action is required when it comes time to brake? Or, do you start messing with your barrel adjuster every time you want to remove your wheel?
(I hope you know what I am asking here lol)

Because I am new to road bikes, I don't know what is the norm. My bike is stock, running 700X23 tires.

I get them as close as possible without rubbing when I ride. I think you are OK, just deflate the tire a bit to get it out or a good smack should force it out as well.

That's pretty much where I am set now; Takes a bit of a pull to pass the pads, but will still go. Would just be nice if it would clear, you know? Maybe the brakes just aren't designed as well as others? Anyone else?

FWIW. I don't set my pads as closely as many others apparently prefer to ...

I reckon that I can slip a [COLOR= #ff0000]popsicle stick[/COLOR] between my brake pads & the rim.

If you insist on having your pads only a hair's breath away from the rims, then one way to alleviate your 'problem' is to consider wheels with wider rims ([COLOR= #ffa500]e.g., 622-17, once a very common size ... there are WIDER rims than that[/COLOR]).

Hmmm... That is very interesting, alfeng. It makes good sense, too; I think I read somewhere recently about wider rims for other benefits, too.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

I reckon that I can slip a [COLOR= #ff0000]popsicle stick[/COLOR] between my brake pads & the rim.
I reckon 2 popsicle sticks. Never know when you're gonna hit a dinger on the way home. On the rear 3 because who needs all that rubbing after the 1k kite. Yes some of us can flex a frame. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

alfeng said:
I reckon that I can slip a popsicle stick between my brake pads & the rim.
If you insist on having your pads only a hair's breath away from the rims, then one way to alleviate your 'problem' is to consider wheels with wider rims (e.g., 622-17, once a very common size ... there are WIDER rims than that).
what's the standard rim size in the market and what the benefit form wider vs narrower rim?

Originally Posted by alfeng .

I like about 3/4 of a popsicle stick. The main rule is you shouldn't bottom out the levers during hard braking. After that it's all personal.

I set my front brake a bit more than a millimeter from the rim. I like a firm brake lever right away. I could care less about the convenience of getting a wheel out.

Well if you set up your brake so that it requires a few turns of the adjustment screw to be close to the rim, you can always back this out to spread the brake a little to remove the wheel easily.

Mine are set for very quick engagement - probably a bit less than the popsicle stick reference. With a little applied force, the tire pushes past my pads on wheel swaps.

As others noted, the rim width in relation to the tire width will be the biggest factor. A wider rim by itself won't necessarily solve your "problem". A 700x21 (if your rim is rated for 700x21) tire on your current rims may make enough difference. Not all tire widths are the same even if labeled 700x23. Differences are slight but measurable depending on side wall construction, inflation, etc. . .

AlanG said:
Well if you set up your brake so that it requires a few turns of the adjustment screw to be close to the rim, you can always back this out to spread the brake a little to remove the wheel easily.
...and that's what I do. Doing as much ads a whopping 10 seconds or so to the tire repair/inner tube replacement process.

FWIW. The [COLOR= #ff0000]so-far-unspoken-option [/COLOR]is to use Campagnolo shifters + almost any non-Campagnolo brake caliper ...

• BECAUSE, the [COLOR= #0000ff]combination[/COLOR] of Campagnolo's "quick release" which is a part of the shifter [SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #0000ff]+[/COLOR][/SIZE] the "quick release" on the brake caliper may provide the necessary clearance to allow more expedient insertion & removal of the wheels while the tire is fully inflated ...
  • AND, as many people already know, Campagnolo shifters can be successfully used with non-Campagnolo drivetrains.

As far as the wider rims ...

• regardless of how close you like to set the brake pads relative to the rim's braking surface, the brake pads will be set a minimum of 1mm wider on each side ([COLOR= #808080]2mm, total[/COLOR]) with 622-17 rims because the distance between their brake surfaces is 2mm wider ...
  • et cetera ...
  • now that 29ers are in vogue, I don't know what the widest currently available rim is for normal use (vs. Surly Pugsley rims), but I have some 700c SUN Rhynolite ("touring") rims which I think measure something like 622-22.

trinogt said:
I like to have my brakes ready to stop me as soon as I start pulling the lever... However, when I pull the brake quick release to remove my front wheel, I can't get the tire to clear the pads... It's as if the cam doesn't allow enough movement when released. My question to you all is, do you just adjust your pad clearance so that the tire can just sneak by with the open QR, meaning more lever action is required when it comes time to brake? Or, do you start messing with your barrel adjuster every time you want to remove your wheel? (I hope you know what I am asking here lol) Because I am new to road bikes, I don't know what is the norm. My bike is stock, running 700X23 tires.
I set mine so there is a wide gap between the pads and rim. After a flat I pump the tire up and it slides past easily. But the purpose of the brakes is to stop the bicycle. Set the pads where that is easy to do.

While out riding the only time I ever remove my tire is when its flat. So I have no problem removing it. I only partially inflate my tire inspect it then put it back on. Once on I fully inflate. The quick release skewers and brake calipers purpose for the recreational cyclist is to keep road side service as tool free as possible. Giving your wheel a little bop with the palm of your hand is perfectly all right.
I like my brakes set as close as possible.

Thanks for your help, folks! I can see there are varying preferences, so I will leave it at that, it's a preference.
Why would I ask such a thing, when obviously I like the brake very close to the rim? You would think that was my answer, as close as possible. But the reason I had to ask, is because I remove my front wheel a lot. No, I don't get a lot of flats. Just to put it in the back of my truck, I use a system that attaches the fork via a skewer onto a rail I made and installed. It has a locking mechanism for theft deterrent. So, I load the bike then unload it. Then after my ride, I load and unload again. So as you can see, without any flats involved, it is still a fair bit of wheel r&r, I just thought maybe something was out of the ordinary with my QR caliper. I set my brake up again, this time with compromise in mind. The tire will slip past the brake pads with very little effort now, and I seem to have full braking at 3/4 lever, but a road test today will determine if I have enough force. As far as popsicle stick standards, I have probably two with this setup. Now, excuse me while I go finish my popsicles.

;)

Doncantador said:
what's the standard rim size in the market and what the benefit form wider vs narrower rim?
Standard rims are about 19mm wide. Wide rims are on the order of 23mm wide. For the same tire size, the wider rim provides a wider but shorter contact patch (although the contact patch has the same area) which results in lower rolling resistance. The tire profile on the wider rim also tends to produce a slightly more compliant ride.

Originally Posted by trinogt .

Thanks for your help, folks! I can see there are varying preferences, so I will leave it at that, it's a preference.
Why would I ask such a thing, when obviously I like the brake very close to the rim? You would think that was my answer, as close as possible. But the reason I had to ask, is because I remove my front wheel a lot. No, I don't get a lot of flats. Just to put it in the back of my truck,
I store my bike in the back of my van - with the front wheel off. As long as the brakes work ...

I usually put my front brakes on the front fork, but I suppose you could attach them to other places on the bike.

Well, I've been running with the method of larger gap between pad and rim, and so far, i am liking it fine. I have plenty of brake, I get the sense that I have more brake 'feel', and my wheel pops right out with just a slight contact with the tire.
thanks guys!