Where does creaking come from?!?

theoriginaldus

Dec 10, 2003
I have been getting increasingly worse creaking sounds eminating from my kona explosif '03 over the last 3 weeks or so, and assumed it to be coming from the bottom bracket area. I managed to get hold of all the relevant truvativ isis bottom bracket tools and crank pullers to remove the cranks and bb. Earlier today I took the bottom bracket out, greased it all up and tightened it up well, and gave it a ride to see if the creaking had gone. The creaking was still there and pretty much just as bad as before?!? I dont think the bb area could have become damaged over the last few weeks as the creaking began as it never became loose and the bike was new a few months ago. Is it just a case of riding it in for a couple of days or something or is there another likely spot creaking could be eminating from? It has to be something related to the peddling as this is the only time the creaking occurs (at first it was only when resonable peddle pressure was applied, but now its pretty much all the time) and thinking along these lines, the only other place I can think of is the saddle, but I think thats pretty unlikely isnt it?

Any help on this area much apreciated?!?

Originally posted by theoriginaldus
I have been getting increasingly worse creaking sounds eminating from my kona explosif '03 over the last 3 weeks or so, and assumed it to be coming from the bottom bracket area. I managed to get hold of all the relevant truvativ isis bottom bracket tools and crank pullers to remove the cranks and bb. Earlier today I took the bottom bracket out, greased it all up and tightened it up well, and gave it a ride to see if the creaking had gone. The creaking was still there and pretty much just as bad as before?!? I dont think the bb area could have become damaged over the last few weeks as the creaking began as it never became loose and the bike was new a few months ago. Is it just a case of riding it in for a couple of days or something or is there another likely spot creaking could be eminating from? It has to be something related to the peddling as this is the only time the creaking occurs (at first it was only when resonable peddle pressure was applied, but now its pretty much all the time) and thinking along these lines, the only other place I can think of is the saddle, but I think thats pretty unlikely isnt it?

Any help on this area much apreciated?!?

Pedals
Cleats
Chain ring bolts
Sometimes the pressure while pedaling makes the seatpost/frame or seat rails/seatpost interface make noise; so does it change when your are standing and pedaling?
Sometimes the body reaction while pedaling is to put forces on the bar; so can you safely pedal hands free to eliminate the source of the sound from the bar/stem/fork?
You can get creaking from anything that moves, even a little bit.
If you want to help eliminate wheels as a source, find a freind to temporarily swap them with. Spoke nipple/rim interface; spoke/hub interface, and spoke crossing interfaces have all been know to creak.
Park Tools has some good ideas on their site at URL:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml
Your approach to eliminate potential sources has merit.

bike frames tend to make the creaking sound travel.

check your pedals. tighten them up good.
check your chainring bolts. tighten them too.
grease your seatpost.
tighten your stem.

meh, the post before me was really good. refer to that

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll look into all of these things!

Dave, when I stand to pedal and apply more pressure on the pedals, the creaking goes completely, however I can to some extent still get a creaking if I deliberately try to apply no more pressure than possible while sitting if I'm standing, however it is a lot less. It would certainly be worth looking into the seat post and making sure the seat is as secure as possible on the rails. Riding hands free makes no difference and the creaking continues as normal. Thanks also for the link, I'll look through that although I hope none of my components are damaged already!

Greg-O, thx, I'll check the pedals to make sure they are properly tightened and also do the other things you mentioned.

I'll report back with the results!

LOL, well I could have sworn I already checked but...as it happens, it was just the saddle needed a bit of tightening up on the rails, quick adjustment there and the creaking is gone....

Why do I always assume its the hardest solution....... :rolleyes: Ah well, thx very much for the suggestions guys and you hit the nail on the head with the 'tighten and grease stuff up' approach.

Still, a bit of routine maintenance of the bb area can never be bad, there was a small amount of surface rust in there anyhow :)