WHERE DOES EVERYONE CYCLE

Anywhere?
I'm in mid-Canada, so I commute to work (18km one way) about 7 months of the year on a "funky" bike with multiple Panniers. Winter cycling is a weekend thing for me as the snow is too much hassle.
This ends up leaving the road bike in the garage most days, and reserving the fast miles for the odd evening, and weekends. I'm lucky enough to be near the edge of town, and can get out onto country roads or the Trans Canada highway in 5-10 minutes. It seems like the popular routes follow the country roads near meandering rivers. Sunday mornings are best in a group ride to a remote location for breakfast.
If I can get to the cottage for a weekend, I'll ride the #1 East into the rolling hills of the Canadian Shield into Ontario...
Failing that, the prairie equivalent to hills is the big 30km headwinds ;-)

Pretty much which ever way I end up facing. I do plan some rides, but often times I just ride around until I get tired, usually around town so I don't get carried away and miss class. I like going into the mountains, even though it is quite tiring, it's very calm and beautiful up there. Maybe one day I'll make it all the way to Mariposa. There's some rather large rolling hills about 20 miles away, sometimes I ride over there, it is truly exhausting, but fun.

I'm in Rochester, NY (Bicycling Magazine's #50 best cycling city, I'll have you know :D) and I pretty much ride everywhere withing a 60 mile radius of the city.

There's a lot of different road routes in this area and I usually plan out my longer rides using veloroutes.org the before.

One thing about Rochester is that it's relatively flat and you need to go pretty far Southeast before you get to any significant climbs. This summer I plan to take a trip up to the Burlington, VT area to tackle some real mountains!

jhuskey said:
Me too! How come I never see there?

Because you're always somethere slightly different. Take the last time, for instance: you and I were there, buy your there wasn't where there was for me. See, my there was slightly elsethere.

Usually on my bike.

I'm in Fresno, CA so I can be in the foothills within an hour (by bike) and in the mountains in 2-3 hours! There are also miles of flat roads with nothing but vineyards and orchards but flat roads are boring!

alienator said:
I ride around where ever I am at the time.

jhuskey said:
Me too! How come I never see there?

alienator said:
Because you're always somethere slightly different. Take the last time, for instance: you and I were there, buy your there wasn't where there was for me. See, my there was slightly elsethere.

So no matter where you go, there you are?

This is getting deep...

I also ride horribly scary places, like abandoned airfield. I pedaled so fast out of there, heh, I should go back someday...with a body guard...

Ok, where I ride....

Note that the bike memorial was built for a young lad killed when struck by a car. It's a very cool memorial, made with a bunch of bike parts.

Right now I am living and riding in Sunny South Florida, Hopefully within a couple years I will be back to my homeland in Austin, Tx to join a few groups there! I'm kinda getting tired of all the constant wind down here with no hills to climb.

Speaking of deep cycling subjects, this came to mine.

billy bought a bicycle he thought it was so neat
billy bought a bicycle it had no freaken seat,
billy bought a bicycle he really thought it's great
billy bought a bicycle that had no freaken brakes,
billy bought a bicycle the wheel's where made of lead
billy bought a bicycle the frame was bamboo sticks,
billy bought a bicycle he took it for a ride
billy crashed his bicycle cus billy's freaken blind.

Munster in the Republic of Ireland.

Just in after an 8 hour spin in fact.
We're experiencing very unseasonal weather for summer : clear sky, temp 24C, bright sunshine:D
Weather is due to last well in to next week as well.
God help us.

Reactions: cyclenthusias44
limerickman said:
Munster in the Republic of Ireland.

Just in after an 8 hour spin in fact.
We're experiencing very unseasonal weather for summer : clear sky, temp 24C, bright sunshine:D
Weather is due to last well in to next week as well.
God help us.

There'll be drought warning and a hosepipe ban by now, won't there?

I ride "where the woozle wasn't" - which is around Lake Berryessa and the surrounding hills. If you've ever seen the stage they always seem to have on the Tour of California from Davis/Sacramento to Santa Rosa you'll have an idea of what the roads are like and how much of a lucky bstard I am. ;)

swampy1970 said:
There'll be drought warning and a hosepipe ban by now, won't there?

I ride "where the woozle wasn't" - which is around Lake Berryessa and the surrounding hills. If you've ever seen the stage they always seem to have on the Tour of California from Davis/Sacramento to Santa Rosa you'll have an idea of what the roads are like and how much of a lucky bstard I am. ;)

I expect the hosepipe ban will be in place by next week - if the weather stays good.

We get flooded in October/November 2009 and we have hosepip bans in June 2010.

Only in Ireland:rolleyes:

swampy1970 said:

You'd be better off back in Lancashire:D:D