WHERE DOES EVERYONE CYCLE

Originally Posted by alienator .

Ok, where I ride....

Note that the bike memorial was built for a young lad killed when struck by a car. It's a very cool memorial, made with a bunch of bike parts.

Beautiful, so Tucson has good road riding? How's the MTB riding? I dream of being a snowbird and riding in the SW during winter. The riding in NW suburbs of Chicago, where I'm at, is surprisingly good and WI has some excellent road and MTB opportunities as well.

I cycle with my GF in Fullerton, CA (Orange County). We usually start in Fullerton and take the Santa Ana River Trail to Huntington Beach. From where we start, it's a 48-50 mile ride, round trip. I work so much that we usually only get to ride every other Sunday. Was supposed to go tomorrow, but of course, we have a storm system and neither of us has rain gear nor the urge to clean our bikes afterwords /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

I ride in what is often mistakenly called "the mid-west" (south-western Ohio). I know Ohio isn't really an eastern state. But since the Atlantic Ocean is only 603 miles from my house it's hard to call Ohio western ether. So... I like to think of Ohio as part of "America's Middle East".

Since I no longer work... communing seems as it would be too difficult [for someone of my age]. So instead I cycle mostly for recreation and pure enjoyment. That makes the bicycle paths my best choice. We have a pretty decent network of paths near where I live. But near is a relevant term. So more often than not the bulk of my cycling takes place in an urban environment between my home and the bike paths. From time to time I do transport my bicycle to a parking area on the bike path network and cycle from there... but I kinda hate to "drive to ride".

I'm in a southern suburb of St. Paul/Minneapolis. For the most part, it's all relatively flat roads. Any hills in my area are generally rollers, nothing terribly steep.

There's only a limited place to cycle in my area around the apartment, so I just take out my bike and start riding around in circles, maybe even go through some alleys and underpasses. It's fine, but I would always love to drive my bike around the countryside, where there would be fresh air for me and lots of things to see, rather than just bland buildings and cars with smokey exhausts. It's really a great experience still, as there are also perks of driving around the city, as you can see lots of people on the way.

I tend to cycle anywhere to be honest. I live in Toronto,Canada so I usually like to commute to downtown and explore the city. Going downtown is kind of a relief from just sitting in my stinking old apartment. Although I game a lot I can't just be sitting at home all day being a lazy couch potato. I need at least some type of physical exercise so I don't die from obesity. Nothing as pleasing then a nice bike down the street.

I have been keeping it to local bike trails lately. I still have issues with the leg I had surgery on and I don't need to be hassled with motorists right now.

Around here. Where do you cycle? Give the co-ordinates. It's a paved trail that is a wooded area in NY. Lol the one here says an abandoned air field. The other is talking about Burlington. I bet that's really nice to ride. I think I went to a wedding there.

Around here. Where do you cycle? Give the co-ordinates. It's a paved trail that is a wooded area in NY. Lol the one here says an abandoned air field. The other is talking about Burlington. I bet that's really nice to ride. I think I went to a wedding there.
It's like you aren't even trying to make sense. You just want to get those posts in for the day and move on.

Usually on my bike.

I'm in Fresno, CA so I can be in the foothills within an hour (by bike) and in the mountains in 2-3 hours! There are also miles of flat roads with nothing but vineyards and orchards but flat roads are boring!
Wow! Driving in the mountains would be really amazing. I completely agree with you with the fact that flat roads are boring

Reactions: Jcycle
This is getting deep...

I also ride horribly scary places, like abandoned airfield. I pedaled so fast out of there, heh, I should go back someday...with a body guard...
Do you really like to ride around scary and abandoned places? How many places have you visited? :D

I typically pick out bike trails because I'm too lazy to off-road it for the most part, and I like an easy-going path. Even then, depending on the grade, you will still give yourself quite a work out, so I still think trail riding is good exercise. I also ride around town, trying to stay on the sidewalks wherever possible... except that the sidewalks around here are quirky at best. They will proceed unbroken for quite a nice long stretch but then all of a sudden, wham... The sidewalk ends abruptly and you end up riding the rest of the way either on grass or on the street. I'm not a big fan of street riding around here as the cars tend to drive around maniacally this close to Detroit.

I mostly cycle on roads in my town (in the UK). We have good bike paths here for about 60% of my commute to and from work, so usually I ride on those. I have to dismount and walk for about ten minutes along a pedestrian pathway as it saves me a lot of time on the journey (and the only alternative is a very busy road that I don't feel entirely safe on). I use my bike to travel to town or friend's houses from time to time too. I don't tend to cycle for leisure unless I am cycling with friends, and usually our most organised friend determines the route. It's only ever in my area or the surrounding towns though. I would like to take a cycling vacation eventually.

Although I live in a city, I usually don't cycle in the streets. I live next to a lake which is used by many athletes and people for recreational purposes and it has a beautiful cycling track going all around the lake (some 6 kilometres), so I usually do laps around the lake. I don't use my bicycle that often as a transportation vehicle, but I am working on incorporating that in my life. :D

I cycle for commuting, leisure and run errands. Therefore,I ride across urban areas most of times. The route is often 10 to 20 miles long, no bike lanes there but at least most sidewalk are free of pedestrians, thus I don't have much issues riding across those.

I love to ride on the forest roads. I also ride on the main roads but I think that riding my bike on the main road is boring and I should ride on the forest road because the ride is much more interesting. I am considering it more interesting because it is more thrilling. I love to ride on the narrow roads.

Munster in the Republic of Ireland.

Just in after an 8 hour spin in fact.
We're experiencing very unseasonal weather for summer : clear sky, temp 24C, bright sunshine:D
Weather is due to last well in to next week as well.
God help us.
I am amazed by your reply. Most of the guys hate cycling in very hot weather because it is very uncomfortable to ride in hot weather. I also like to ride my bike in cold weather and I hate hot weather. I feel very difficult to ride in the bright sunshine. I wonder how you manage to ride at that temperature.

cycling is good for health
Yeah, you are right. It is very good for health. Cycling is one of the most important things that you can do to keep yourself fit. It affects your physical health as well as mental health and it's like a boom for me. If you are ride regularly, you risk of bone and joint diseases are reduced by half. Along with the health benefits, I have also experienced many other benefits (psychological).