Where does power come from?

vadiver said:
IIf this is true, the users would have .3ml of CO2 in their system for every 100ml of air consumed. (These values would be of a resting person and not a person working at 70% maximum, I do not know if the ratios change with work, I assume they do.) I further do not know how much CO2 needs to build up before one starts to feel the effects.
I am not going to respond to your questions anymore but I did want to say the above has to be on my all time list of how people can take a little bit of information and knowledge, make a couple of wrong assumptions, and put it together completely wrong. Such statements are why I have given up. If nothing else though, it is entertaining.

Fday said:
I am not going to respond to your questions anymore but I did want to say the above has to be on my all time list of how people can take a little bit of information and knowledge, make a couple of wrong assumptions, and put it together completely wrong. Such statements are why I have given up. If nothing else though, it is entertaining.
And that is why I prefaced it the way I did.

If you want to explain what bennifit GE has in terms of the study feel free. I do not think you know.

vadiver said:
Just follow the units.

Again from what I found power equals work devided by time. Or P=F*V
...and Force is roughly equal to aerodynamic drag (ie, kV^2) in the case of a rider on a flat, smooth road, where rolling resistance and elevation change are negligible.

That's why power is roughly proportional to velocity^3 for riders 'at speed'. You can see that on www.analyticcycling.com if you increase the rider's Cd and frontal areas to more typical 'on the hoods' values, zero the default slope, and use a smoother road surface value.

vadiver said:
Using the KK estimation would yeild Watt = m/s + (m/s)^3 which is not correct. If the formula was correct it would work for all values of x and delta x. Since it is just an estimation the magnatude of error gets greater when x is small or delta x is large.
Rolling resistance and elevation change produce a constant frictional force on the rider, which means that power is proportional only to velocity for those terms. Aero drag varies with velocity^2, which means that the power requirement for that term varies with velocity^3. The KK has both a linear term and a cubic term, which is why it simulates a rider traveling up a slight incline.

frenchyge said:
Rolling resistance and elevation change produce a constant frictional force on the rider, which means that power is proportional only to velocity for those terms. Aero drag varies with velocity^2, which means that the power requirement for that term varies with velocity^3. The KK has both a linear term and a cubic term, which is why it simulates a rider traveling up a slight incline.
Question: You don't mean to say it is the presence of the linear term that simulates a rider traveling up a slight incline do you. Isn't the linear term always there and it is the magnitude of that term that simulates flat or any particular incline?

frenchyge said:
...and Force is roughly equal to aerodynamic drag (ie, kV^2) in the case of a rider on a flat, smooth road, where rolling resistance and elevation change are negligible.

That's why power is roughly proportional to velocity^3 for riders 'at speed'. You can see that on www.analyticcycling.com if you increase the rider's Cd and frontal areas to more typical 'on the hoods' values, zero the default slope, and use a smoother road surface value.
This is fine as a rough estimate assuming the rider is 'at speed'. Which is fine, I do not have a problem with that all though the units do not match. This is back to the previous post that if speed is high, and the change is small it is a better approximation. When speed is low and the change is high the approximation is much less accurate.

Why/how is force (kgms^-2) equevilant to velocity^2 (m^2s^-2)? Is the reason: As the mass of the rider is approaces the speed of the rider then kg*m is approches to m^2. Which is why when I input my values, the approximation gets way out of whack.

In playing with the numberes in A/C the more areo one gets the more linear the power curve becomes. So that makes the approximation less accurate as well. Correct?

frenchyge said:
Reading the KK website on this they use DifEQ/numerical analysis to derive the formula. It has been a long time since I took/applied DifEQ but I understand what they are saying. Since they are saying that they are only estimating Watts, I think they are not concerned about units.

When they are discussing their power computer they explain a lot of the "errors" that can occur with their formula.

Is a Watt anything different then kgm^2s^-3?

Fday said:
If they start out equal, 6 months later the PC'er will win hands down. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

The winner in a sprint will be the rider who can apply the greatest vertical downward pedal power from start to finish of the sprint. How can PC's increase a rider's vertical downward pedal pressure. The unweighting effect will be of little or no value in this situation.

Fday said:
Question: You don't mean to say it is the presence of the linear term that simulates a rider traveling up a slight incline do you. Isn't the linear term always there and it is the magnitude of that term that simulates flat or any particular incline?
Yes, your rephrasing is more correct. On the road there are several components which are all linear, including drivetrain frictional/mechanical losses, rolling resistance, elevation changes, etc. which may be combined or neglected depending on the accuracy one desired in a model. In the KK unit, the linear term would be associated with internal friction and rolling resistance between the tire and roller. My guess is that the KK engineers used a best fit to determine the magnitude of their linear term and then determined the corresponding slope and rolling resistance of a virtual rider.

vadiver said:
Why/how is force (kgms^-2) equevilant to velocity^2 (m^2s^-2)?
It's not equal, but it is proportional. The constant k combines parameters of frontal area (m^2), drag coefficient based on shape (dimensionless), and air density (kgm^-3) which matches things up when multiplied by velocity^2.

vadiver said:
In playing with the numberes in A/C the more areo one gets the more linear the power curve becomes. So that makes the approximation less accurate as well. Correct?
Correct, just understand that the default Cd and FA values in analyticcyling.com are pretty much world-class aero. A typical rider, even in an aero position, will not get near those values, and on a typical ride the values are higher still. You and Frank can argue about how accurate is accurate enough for the basis of the discussion, I was just trying to help illustrate the conditions under which power is proportional to velocity^3.

n crowley said:
The winner in a sprint will be the rider who can apply the greatest vertical downward pedal power from start to finish of the sprint. How can PC's increase a rider's vertical downward pedal pressure. The unweighting effect will be of little or no value in this situation.
Downward pedal power? Not sure what that means, but downward pedal pressure alone will not win a sprint if the other guy is turning a higher cadence.

n crowley said:
The winner in the sprint will be the one with the most power. The maximum downward pedal force for a small portion of the circle is a small part of that output so the person with biggest maximum force does not necessarily have the most power. He may, but it is not guaranteed.

frenchyge said:
Yes, your rephrasing is more correct. On the road there are several components which are all linear, including drivetrain frictional/mechanical losses, rolling resistance, elevation changes, etc. which may be combined or neglected depending on the accuracy one desired in a model. In the KK unit, the linear term would be associated with internal friction and rolling resistance between the tire and roller. My guess is that the KK engineers used a best fit to determine the magnitude of their linear term and then determined the corresponding slope and rolling resistance of a virtual rider.
Correct, they state that in one of their discussions. I think the one on their computer.

frenchyge said:
It's not equal, but it is proportional. The constant k combines parameters of frontal area (m^2), drag coefficient based on shape (dimensionless), and air density (kgm^-3) which matches things up when multiplied by velocity^2.
That will work. There is the KG and the extra meter,Thanks.

frenchyge said:
Correct, just understand that the default Cd and FA values in analyticcyling.com are pretty much world-class aero. A typical rider, even in an aero position, will not get near those values, and on a typical ride the values are higher still. You and Frank can argue about how accurate is accurate enough for the basis of the discussion, I was just trying to help illustrate the conditions under which power is proportional to velocity^3.
That explains it. The accuracy comes from the constant k. If I wanted the KK formula to work the DifEQ/NA would be done on my mass and frontal area. It would be great for me, not so good for others. Their site does a good job at explaining the "rider" the used.

Makes sense.

Fday said:
The winner in the sprint will be the one with the most power. The maximum downward pedal force for a small portion of the circle is a small part of that output so the person with biggest maximum force does not necessarily have the most power. He may, but it is not guaranteed.

From a standing start, who will have the fastest acceleration, a stomper or a circular (PC) rider ?

n crowley said:
From a standing start, who will have the fastest acceleration, a stomper or a circular (PC) rider ?
Again, doesn't matter, the one with the most net force (and perhaps the lightest net weight if there is a difference. By net force I mean the combination of the two crank forces together. Once the pedals are moving it is the one with the highest power, before they are moving it is the one with the highest net force. Watch track riders on the pursuit where acceleration is important. Watch how hard they pull up on the back.

Pushing is just part of the equation.

Frank

n crowley said:
I might add, if everything else (net pedal forces) is equal, the rider with the smallest gear size will accelerate the fastest, although he will also have the lower top end speed most likely.

n crowley said:
Just FWIW, only this past week I experimented with sprinting, cadence, and technique. I confirmed that I do better in a sprint by using a light gear, very high cadence, and concentrate on spinning circles while sprinting.

Hard gear, pushing down - 850 W
Small chainring (!), spinning circles - 933 W

FYI, I currently weight 54 kg and I have always done better at the end of a sprint then the beginning. I usually find a wheel and follow sitting down as my low weight and power doesn't help in my initial accelleration (I most definitely spin circles while doing that), but then I can outlast a lot of sprinters pushing big gears in long sprints. This past weekend (first practice crit) I was passing people all the way to the line.

FYI, I probably have more than average fast twitch percentage, because I tend to do well in sprints for a small guy, but can't climb quite as well as other light weights :eek:. At 40 I'm still better off concentrating on climbing.

n crowley said:
Who sprints from a standing start? :)

Piotr said:
Who sprints from a standing start? :)
Downhillers, pursuiters, and, sometimes, mountain bikers - if there is an advantage to an early lead - are three types of racers I can think of who go as fast as they can when the gun goes.

Fday said:
The maximum downward pedal force for a small portion of the circle is a small part of that output

Dude, put down the crack pipe. about 95% of your power is made on the downstroke. Try actually reading Coyle et al.

Fday said:
The maximum downward pedal force for a small portion of the circle is a small part of that output

Excluding the inertia effect, what percentages of pedal power application is a PC'er expected to apply in the dead spot areas and in the upward portion of the stroke.

Fday said:
Downhillers, pursuiters, and, sometimes, mountain bikers - if there is an advantage to an early lead - are three types of racers I can think of who go as fast as they can when the gun goes.
OK, that was an interesting excursion, but now I'll go back to my comfy road racing mindset box. :eek:

n crowley said:
Excluding the inertia effect, what percentages of pedal power application is a PC'er expected to apply in the dead spot areas and in the upward portion of the stroke.
I haven't a clue. I can tell you how much negative torque they apply there or anywhere around the circle including the top, bottom, and anywhere on the upward portion: ZERO. Other than that I don't EXPECT them to do anything. I suspect all riders are different and it would depend a lot on the kind of racing they do.