Where is a decent light with a SOLID clip?

geardad

Jun 2, 2006
in 6 months, my wife and I have tried 3 types of LED bike lights whose clips aren't worth spit. you so much as LOOK at a bump, the lights fall off, splat to the pavement and often explode into 3 or more parts.

NOT a good thing in a traffic situation.

how I long for my old Cat Eye Halogen. yeah, it was big and heavy, but it put out decent light and stayed put until you TOOK it off.

We have Cat Eyes now, and despite *sounding* like theyre really clipped in place, the grip is extremely tenuous; the slightest bump and they pop off. I find myself watching the light and not paying attention to the road, which ain't good.

Has anyone found a modern LED light which uses AA or C cells, which has a solid clip that holds the light on over all bumps, and does not cost a king's ransom?

We'd like to pay $20-$50, not hundreds.

Maybe helmet lights are the way to go?

thanks for any tips and info!

gd

I have lots of lights with clips that won't keep the light secure. I just ziptie or rubber band the base of the clip and all is good.

I've never had trouble w/ Planet Bike's mounting brackets. I just have to make sure to slide the light on 'til I feel that reassuring click. In contrast, I'm not very fond of one of Cat Eye's mounting systems...the one with the flexible strap and locking buckle, as w/ the HL-EL410.

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/341

The light doesn't fall off, but it would slip, even if I really cinched the strap down, unless it was on the taped part of my bars. (I prefer to keep my lights and other accessories right by the stem, out of the way.) I understand most of Cat Eye's lights use a different bracket, though.