Where is everyone...

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I'm surprised that this forum doesn't get more Canadians posting or asking questions about routes/roads.

I ride in the Caledon area of Ontario (1hr outside of T.O.) and within 1 hour of riding I see 5-10 other cyclists every time (that would make for a lot riders :rolleyes: ). I was hoping to see route/road posts about the area, but it seems that these cyclists don't use the internet for cycling forums or are in another forum.

Anyone know of other cycling forums where cyclists discuss these types of topics?

Thanks...

noonievut said:
I'm surprised that this forum doesn't get more Canadians posting or asking questions about routes/roads.

I ride in the Caledon area of Ontario (1hr outside of T.O.) and within 1 hour of riding I see 5-10 other cyclists every time (that would make for a lot riders :rolleyes: ). I was hoping to see route/road posts about the area, but it seems that these cyclists don't use the internet for cycling forums or are in another forum.

Anyone know of other cycling forums where cyclists discuss these types of topics?

Thanks...
It's a surprise to me too. With an estimated 900,000 cyclists (seasonal) in Toronto alone, you'd think more cyclists would be here, but maybe they are on other forums.

EnigManiac said:
It's a surprise to me too. With an estimated 900,000 cyclists (seasonal) in Toronto alone, you'd think more cyclists would be here, but maybe they are on other forums.
They're on the Pedal Magazine (www.pedalmag.com) and Canadian Cyclist (www.canadiancyclist.com) forums, because Ed Arzouian has been banned in both places so people can have a real discussion there.

One problem with your theory, I was banned on Pedal only last week and in that time views and replies on that forum have already actually dropped!

More peole are reading here.

Look at the numbers they tell they story.

People will begin moving to this forum.

I guarantee it.

WAs PeeininNepean posting here before I arrived?

Furthermore, this forum has more bells and whistles, far more topics and many more commercial opportunities.

I guess my point is I expected more activity here and don't see it. I also check out MTBR (as I'm a mountain biker) and theres many people who post about rides, trails, routes and what not, just about the GTA.

Oh well...

Eddie Arzouian said:
One problem with your theory, I was banned on Pedal only last week and in that time views and replies on that forum have already actually dropped!

More peole are reading here.

Look at the numbers they tell they story.

People will begin moving to this forum.

I guarantee it.

WAs PeeininNepean posting here before I arrived?

Furthermore, this forum has more bells and whistles, far more topics and many more commercial opportunities.

noonievut said:
I guess my point is I expected more activity here and don't see it. I also check out MTBR (as I'm a mountain biker) and theres many people who post about rides, trails, routes and what not, just about the GTA.

Oh well...
Forums are a funny thing, to borrow a metaphor from cycling activists who borrowed it from nuclear physists, you need a certain critical mass to make them happen.

All that is needed is a small core of regular writers exchanging a few thoughts and them things snowball.

So far on this forum it appears quite few people (over a hundred per topic) come take a look but do not post a comment. Without the posting of comments few people come back regularly.

The topics tends to be non-controversial as well.

While some may find that pleasant, it doesn't generate much traffic.

I am posting stuff slowly and selectively trying not to get banned again but nevertheless trying to promote some changes and improvements for the sport in this country. My interest is almost exclusively competitive and my thought is we once again need a vibrant, dynamic, profitable and commercial domestic road racing scene to as we had in the early 1990s to attract more media which in turns attracts more sponsors and more racers.

Others wil advocate a grass root approach. My criticism of that is it ends up being all you get, grass root racing. It attracts few riders and retains even fewer. What kids in their right minds would aspire to compete in a sport whose highest level has them racing around cornfields with hot, tired digs under trees as spectators?

Also, the sport in Canada is being undermined by talentless, selfish, young Master riders (under 40) who exhaust the limited resources available to the sport without giving anything back to the youth that are needed to carry the sport at an international level or offering them anything to aspire to...

hey folks...a lot of people are on www.bikeforums.net as well. I left here because it was slow and there were not a lot of posts going on each day...kinda got bored...today is my first day on here in a month..