Where is it left lever back brake?

Robert Nicholso

Guest
I recently took my merlin into get tuned up and since I've not been doing any riding for quite
sometime it's a good time for me to switch back to left lever back brake instead of the other
way around.

I'm just curious where this originates from? I seem to remember starting a thread about this some
years back.

When I bought my merlin is was wired up left lever front brake and I just left it but since a good
time to re program my muscle memory and all I've decided to get it switched back.

Literally haven't ridden for two years as I've been travelling and move around whilst my bike was
in the UK.

"Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently took my merlin into get tuned up and since I've not been doing any riding for quite
> sometime it's a good time for me to switch back to left lever back brake instead of the other
> way around.
>
> I'm just curious where this originates from? I seem to remember starting a thread about this some
> years back.
>
> When I bought my merlin is was wired up left lever front brake and I just left it but since a good
> time to re program my muscle memory and all I've decided to get it switched back.

American assemblers are stupid. Right front, left rear all the way. I believe that in Japan and
Europe, it's the way you and I do it.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Robert Nicholson wrote:
> I recently took my merlin into get tuned up and since I've not been doing any riding for quite
> sometime it's a good time for me to switch back to left lever back brake instead of the other
> way around.
>
> I'm just curious where this originates from?

Left rear, right front is normal in the UK, and I think, some other countries where they drive
on the left. Apart from that, it's most sensible in my opinion to have the front brake (the
business brake) operated by one's most dexterous hand. Also might be wise for motorcyclists to
use right front.

~PB, UK

robert-<< it's a good time for me to switch back to left lever back brake instead of the other
way around.

Some origins I have heard- -In downtube shifter days, braking with rear brake and shifting with
right hand, to minimize going over tha bar -when getting musette's in a feed zone, picking it up
with the right, braking the rear again. -Cyclo-cross-when dismounting, braking with the left/rear..
-motorcycle backgrounds.

Motorcyclists do use right hand-front brake (left is clutch). Makes sense, as most of us are right
handed and most stopping power comes from the front brake. Took me a while to get used to the other
way around when I started riding my mtb. Paul "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in

Robert Nicholson wrote:

"I'm just curious where this originates from? I seem to remember starting a thread about this some
years back."

I missed that thread, so I may be wrong. But I've always believed that it's so you could use your
left arm to signal and still be able to brake (softly!) with less chance of having your front wheel
suddenly swing crosswise, pitching you over the bars.

Paul Westall wrote:
> Motorcyclists do use right hand-front brake (left is clutch).

On their bicycles as well, I mean (because they are used to right=front).

~PB

On Sun, 18 May 2003 09:57:58 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Left rear, right front is normal in the UK, and I think, some other countries where they drive on
> the left. Apart from that, it's most sensible in my opinion to have the front brake (the business
> brake) operated by one's most dexterous hand.

I disagree. We use our most dextrous hand to do things like shift (in the days of downtube
shifters), grab a water bottle or some food, etc. While you are doing this, the hand that is still
hanging onto the bars, which is the only one you can brake with, should use the stronger break.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're _`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly
Tomlin (_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2003 09:57:58 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> Left rear, right front is normal in the UK, and I think, some other countries where they drive on
>> the left. Apart from that, it's most sensible in my opinion to have the front brake (the business
>> brake) operated by one's most dexterous hand.
>
> I disagree. We use our most dextrous hand to do things like shift (in the days of downtube
> shifters), grab a water bottle or some food, etc. While you are doing this, the hand that is still
> hanging onto the bars, which is the only one you can brake with, should use the stronger break.

Interesting point, but food and water could be abandoned if suddenly need to brake hard (and it does
help to use both hands for bracing against the bars anyway); light braking can still be done with
the rear alone if needs be. I prefer to have to bike optimised for normal riding, ie. for when both
hands are on the bars.

But I suppose we all find justifications (good ones) for what we are used to. Having always had the
front brake on the right on my bikes, I don't know any different (apart from briefly trying, and
hating, the alternative on other people's).

~PB

> robert-<< it's a good time for me to switch back to left lever back brake instead of the other
> way around.
>
> Some origins I have heard- -In downtube shifter days, braking with rear brake and shifting with
> right hand, to minimize going over tha bar -when getting musette's in a feed zone, picking it up
> with the right,
braking
> the rear again. -Cyclo-cross-when dismounting, braking with the left/rear.. -motorcycle
> backgrounds.

I carry the sword in my right hand...