Where is my speed?

Trigurl

Jul 29, 2003
I am a triathlete who is training to race cycling this spring. I've done the intervals, the hill reps, the hammering rides... I just need to get a few more of the skills down.

Especially sprinting.

Triathletes don't need any sudden bursts of speed in the bike portion of the race. So I've never trained to do that and I don't know how.

I went out with a buddy today who tried to teach me. I am SLOW. I can hold a pretty quick pace for a long long time but I just don't have the acceleration or speed thats needed in a sprint finish in a cycling race for example.

What can I do to get more comfortable and go faster? Training wise? Technique wise? I know that for running, there are drills you can do to increase your leg speed... are there drills for sprinting on a bike too?

Is it possible that I just suck and won't ever be able to do it? I'm in excellent shape right now so I dont think that's a factor. It just makes me mad because I'm a strong rider but don't have the leg speed to finish quick.

Any ideas?? please help :(

I think you have already identified the main area you need to work on, leg speed or cadence. You probably need to make the neuromuscular adaptation that allows you to spin at a higher cadence without the urge to shift into a bigger gear. Riding a fix can help, but you can also adapt your intervals so that you are working at a higher cadence than you usually do. Spinning pyramids on a trainer also work well.
Maybe you do suck :) but there is always room for improvement!